The Student Room Group

Worried about being lonely in gap year

I’ve dropped out of uni after one year (decided in the last few months) and missed chance to apply to other unis in Jan as I wasn’t in the right head space. All of my friends are either in uni or doing an internship. I can visit them occasionally but don’t want to annoy them. I got used to seeing friends a few times a week/ going out clubbing once a week so being home is very boring little town with nothing going on. I should start working soon so hopefully I’ll meet some friends there but yeah I’m worried that I’ll be lonely.

I will go to work and save money up for the year I’m out of uni/ education (thought about apprenticeships too). So that’s a nice side of it. I’m worried that Halloween/ new year will be boring as I don’t really want to ask friends if I can join them bc that seems a bit sad of me lol. But the year will go fast I hope. By the time I send off another UCAS application and get a portfolio together for that I’ll be really busy- I have nieces so see them every week- my sister is getting married soon as well so will be busy with that. Then Christmas etc.

But I wonder if anyone has advice for how to not feel so lonely? I thought about starting an art account on Instagram because people have asked if I sell my work already so might do that to keep me busy as well.

Thanks
Maybe look at getting a job over the gap year, or volunteering somewhere, as this will help expose you to new peeps and maybe make some buddies. Could also take on a few projects to improve yourself, like learning a language or something too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending