The Student Room Group

portofolio. how to make it? Help

hello.
i want to make a portofolio. how i do it? what i use it. i work for experience in a small animal clinic. and i want to make a portofolio with the cases i have everyday.

i have no idea how to make it. what to use? programs?
any tips so it can be accepted from univercities for postgraduate studies? ( i want to be official !)

plZ help me....

thank you alot
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know if uni's actually accept portfolios of work exp, but I'm not sure what they do for postgrad :/

As for making one you could just get A4 folder and just write in it + pictures.

And sorry to be picky but it's veterinarian :P
Reply 2
Original post by LilacTweet
I don't know if uni's actually accept portfolios of work exp, but I'm not sure what they do for postgrad :/

As for making one you could just get A4 folder and just write in it + pictures.

And sorry to be picky but it's veterinarian :P

i know that its veterinarian. lol

i ask for a digital portofolio. should iuse pdf???
Reply 3
Original post by veteriarian

No vet applicant here, but always use PDFs. It's hard to edit and it never loses formatting.
Reply 4
You should definately mention your fondness for bestiality
Reply 5

Oh that wasn't clear (or at least not to me :P) but yeah sorry i can't help you there, i prefer to write things out.
Reply 6
Hi,
Are you referring to a case book in the format that would be accepted for a certificate? If so I can give you a few pointers as I've just written one.
I'm doing the equine CertAVP and had to write a case report on 10 cases, each involving a different body system e.g. orthopaedics, dermatology, respiratory, repro, cardiovasular, gastro-intestinal, ophthalmology, professsional conduct, welfare and biosecurity (for the B modules).
The required format was as follows: introduction, case hx, clinical exam, differential diagnosis, diagnostic tests, definitive diagnosis, discussion to include references. I wrote mine in word but I don't think the programme you use matters. What's most impoertant is the structure of the report which should also clarify a logical thought process or work-up of the case.
Hope this is of some help x

Forgot to add, photos are ok to add in too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lord Nice
You should definately mention your fondness for bestiality

Are you some sort of internet predator ? you've been trolling on half the posts ive been on today with sex comments :confused:

you should speak about your problems on the health and relationship forum :smile:
or you can troll there (give us peace):biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ponyvet
Hi,
Are you referring to a case book in the format that would be accepted for a certificate? If so I can give you a few pointers as I've just written one.
I'm doing the equine CertAVP and had to write a case report on 10 cases, each involving a different body system e.g. orthopaedics, dermatology, respiratory, repro, cardiovasular, gastro-intestinal, ophthalmology, professsional conduct, welfare and biosecurity (for the B modules).
The required format was as follows: introduction, case hx, clinical exam, differential diagnosis, diagnostic tests, definitive diagnosis, discussion to include references. I wrote mine in word but I don't think the programme you use matters. What's most impoertant is the structure of the report which should also clarify a logical thought process or work-up of the case.

Forgot to add, photos are ok to add in too.

HALILUIA!!!
thank you. this is what iwanted. i search for postgraduate studies. and some say about experience. and they say portofolio. I have understood what yoyu described. i hope they dont mean anythingelse(what they couldmean??) .
Now, if they mean what we say then your answer is the solution.

so i willhave a file.(e.g. work experience) then subfiles (date) and then files for each day. (or should i separetae them in dermatology , surgery ?) .
and at last a pdf,word for each case withthe format you said!!
Great!

give me an explanation about introduction? or better post an example (no need to be real) iwant to know what to write and what "language " should i use.
PS: it should be like articles right?

thanks alot .. again
Reply 9
HALILUIA!!!
thank you. this is what iwanted. i search for postgraduate studies. and some say about experience. and they say portofolio. I have understood what yoyu described. i hope they dont mean anythingelse(what they couldmean??) .
Now, if they mean what we say then your answer is the solution.

so i willhave a file.(e.g. work experience) then subfiles (date) and then files for each day. (or should i separetae them in dermatology , surgery ?) .
and at last a pdf,word for each case withthe format you said!!
Great!

give me an explanation about introduction? or better post an example (no need to be real) iwant to know what to write and what "language " should i use.
PS: it should be like articles right?

thanks alot .. again

Hi,
I think it would probably be best to group your cases in to body systems for a clearer presentation. It may be a wise idea to note the dates seperately just in case you need to change the organisation for a specific institution application.
I had to chose just one case from the topics I mentioned iny earlier post, but I guess ots worth making notes/writing up any interesting case that you come across.
Yes, you are right, it should be like a journal article. The introduction should be a brief overview of the case to encourage the reader to continue reading it. Don't give it all away!

Here's an example:
Lymphosarcoma is the most common neoplasm of the equine haematopoetic system, of which most cases occur in middle aged and older horses. Four types of lymphosarcoma have been identified: generalised (multicentric), alimentary, mediastinal and cutaneous (Rose & Hodgson, 2000). This report describes the tentative diagnosis of generalised (multicentric) lymphosarcoma in a thoroughbred.

The report has to be written in the third person and include journal references. etc..
Sorry to butt in but I'm writing up everything i do on my w.e. Am i wasting time doing this?
Reply 11
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
Sorry to butt in but I'm writing up everything i do on my w.e. Am i wasting time doing this?

Not at all, I've done the same. I have like a 40 page word document so far, though I'd never show it to anyone as I don't write it in proper english, it's more in note form if that makes sense. :tongue:

Am I right in thinking the Uni's don't want submission of such documents? (It is the reason I have not written it properly, though would go through it and make it legible if the Uni's like that sort of thing).
That's what im wondering. I wrote about 8 pages for my week w.e at mixed vet. I'm so proud of it and obviously it helps me remember stuff for interviews but still i don't know if there is another point to it. I'm not sure whether uni's want to look at them?
Pretty sure they don't want them? Like I read somewhere they specifically don't want portfolios of work exp (in general clearly its diff for the above case) .
But I've still got my notes as they're useful for me remembering what I did...etc if i wanna prepare for interviews.

Hope that helps a little, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong ppeople :smile:
Reply 14
Hi guys,
Don't be alarmed by the stuff I was outlining above. This is for post-grad/ certificate level work.

For undergrad entry it is really useful to write up cases that you see. You can then use your notes to remind you of cases in preparation for interview. The interviewers may well ask you to tell them about something interesting that you've seen, why you found it interesting and what you learnt from it.

I doubt very much that the interviewers want written evidence of the individual cases you've seen as they have enough paperwork to get through as it is! Make sure you get your work experience documented though, e.g. a letter of confirmation from the placement provider to outline how much time you spent there and what you did etc.. I'm sure there will be other people here who can advise you further on that sort of thing as it's many years since my vet interviews!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending