The Student Room Group

Advice to people starting University

What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to someone starting University in September?

We'll start...
Our biggest piece of advice would be to get involved! It is important to find a balance between your studies and social life whilst at University. We recommend getting involved with as many events as possible during your first few weeks of University, and signing up to a few societies that spark your interest so that you can develop meaningful bonds with others that share similar interests to you! Having a work-life balance will make your University experience much more fulfilling and rewarding.
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to someone starting University in September?
We'll start...
Our biggest piece of advice would be to get involved! It is important to find a balance between your studies and social life whilst at University. We recommend getting involved with as many events as possible during your first few weeks of University, and signing up to a few societies that spark your interest so that you can develop meaningful bonds with others that share similar interests to you! Having a work-life balance will make your University experience much more fulfilling and rewarding.

Hey @WrexhamUniReps - love the advice! I agree it's so important to have that work-life balance.

My advice would be to make use of all the services at your uni. In my final year I finally decided to use the academic services for help with my essay writing and dissertation. And if you're struggling with anything at all please do reach out to the counselling and mental health services, ensure you make your wellbeing a priority! :smile:

Becky
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey @WrexhamUniReps - love the advice! I agree it's so important to have that work-life balance.
My advice would be to make use of all the services at your uni. In my final year I finally decided to use the academic services for help with my essay writing and dissertation. And if you're struggling with anything at all please do reach out to the counselling and mental health services, ensure you make your wellbeing a priority! :smile:
Becky

Great advice, Becky!
ooh i'm watching this thread - i am starting uni in september!
Original post by emm4nuella
ooh i'm watching this thread - i am starting uni in september!

I hope it will be helpful Emmanuella, best of luck at University!
Reply 5
There's a sticky thread at the top of the page for this type of post....
Hello,

My biggest advice for someone starting university is:

Take risks: go to new places, talk to people you wouldn't usually speak to, join societies, have an adventure! Uni is the best place to explore.

Document: whether you like to take videos or journal, document your memories in uni so you can look back at them.

Access support: don't think that just because of higher education, support stops. In fact, I found that university is more supportive than school.

Learn how to budget: A very important life skill.

What are you most excited about in regards to university?

Best wishes,
Haya
Original post by UCLan Student
Hello,
My biggest advice for someone starting university is:

Take risks: go to new places, talk to people you wouldn't usually speak to, join societies, have an adventure! Uni is the best place to explore.

Document: whether you like to take videos or journal, document your memories in uni so you can look back at them.

Access support: don't think that just because of higher education, support stops. In fact, I found that university is more supportive than school.

Learn how to budget: A very important life skill.

What are you most excited about in regards to university?
Best wishes,
Haya

Great advice! I think the point about documenting is such a good point! The most exciting thing for me at university is the social aspect and making memories that I know I will cherish for a lifetime... documenting these is the best way to recall them in the future and/or share them with others. Thank you.

Lauren
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
We'll start...

Hi!

This is a great idea so I thought I would add my advice into this!

1- Try and set a budget from the start! This helps you to get into a routine early on with your money which really helps later on and it also helps you to not spend all of your money in freshers week and then get left with not much! You can usually find out how much loan you will be getting and then you can work out how much you need for rent/bills etc and from this you can see how much you ave left over to spend and if you will need to get a job etc.

2- Join in! Try and join in societies from the start as this is a great way of making friends and it is also just a really fun thing to do. It's good doing something you enjoy and gets you out of the house when you are bored and the socials are great too. Look into a few different societies until you find one you enjoy!

3- Make your room feel homely. If you bring photos from home/bits of things from your room at home, this can help you to really feel at home and help you to not feel as homesick as it can be normal to feel homesick. Also just bringing blankets etc can make your room feel cosy!

4- Go to lectures! Go to your lectures/seminars/classes as it really does help you when it comes to writing your assignments. Aside from this, it is also a great way of making friends as it's easy to chat to people in classes as you will be sat next to them or be doing group projects with them so I would make sure you attend uni!

5- Ask people to do things with you. Especially in freshers week, everyone will be wanting to do things and nobody will know people so everyone is in the same boat and wants to make friends! It's worth just asking if people want to go out and do things as most likely they will say yes and the worst thing they can say is no so it is worth a try!

Lucy- SHU student ambassador :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending