The Student Room Group

Snow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
its forecasted to rain heavily in the early hours of sunday (london), i sense theres gonna be even worse wide-spread ice come monday, anybody agree?
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Try being 17 and this being the first time you've ever had enough snow to build a proper snowman... :sadnod:

Aww :console:, at least you've got some snow now :grin:. My flatmate is from Southern China where it's too hot to snow; this is the first time she's seen it as well :smile:.
Yes I always feel happy when I see people seeing snow for the first time in real life it truly is beautiful
Reply 563
What I don't get is why TFL doesn't just hop on the phone to say, the Norwegian transport people and be like, "Yo, how do you keep your public transport system running when there's snow everywhere?" They've been doing fine with snowy conditions since forever. Why TFL are so inept at dealing with these conditions. I don't mind the snow but it does get frustrating when all of London seemingly shuts down because of some snow. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but surely getting advice from a country who deal with worse weather than this is better than pissing about and cancelling all trains, flights etc?
Original post by SAK.A
Ok I've heard it's could snow in my area and I am really dreading it. And the reasons why is as follows:
1.I have to walk to school, in my suit shoes which have no grip whats so ever so I'm going to either slip and fall and crack my head open or ice skate to school.
2.There is a chance school will get called off. I have exams coming up and not going school is not the best idea.
3.After the initial first footprints in the snow when the snow turns into slush and ice it's disgusting and dangerous.
4.I have to shovel the snow out of my driveway shoveling snow is not easy trust me(I remember last year).
5.Sure it is fun for like the first few hours but after that it's just downhill.
I bet most of you are thinking :eek:

You'd better get used to it because climate changed has f%£%ed up the gulf stream, making parts of the northern hemisphere colder while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
Winters in the UK are going to get even colder.
Original post by Doubledog
You'd better get used to it because climate changed has f%£%ed up the gulf stream, making parts of the northern hemisphere colder while most of the rest of the world gets warmer.
Winters in the UK are going to get even colder.

So we're going to be getting this nearly every year?
Original post by perrytheplatypus
So we're going to be getting this nearly every year?

yes every year :mad:
I think there is snow EVERYWHERE except here in Stevenage, rather disappointment.
I usually love snow, though right now, the snow isn't the nice kind of snow where you can have snowball fights, it's more the 'slip on your backside' icy snow. :sad:

On the bright side, I brought a hat the other day which should be a bit more insulating. :h:
Original post by samanthaaaa
I usually love snow, though right now, the snow isn't the nice kind of snow where you can have snowball fights, it's more the 'slip on your backside' icy snow. :sad:

On the bright side, I brought a hat the other day which should be a bit more insulating. :h:

yeah read that post did u see my usb cup thingy lol
Reply 570
Ahhh no it's melting here! The sun's come out and there's blue sky all around! All the snow's starting to fall off the branches :argh::cry:
Reply 571
Original post by thecdon

Original post by thecdon
Ahhh no it's melting here! The sun's come out and there's blue sky all around! All the snow's starting to fall off the branches :argh::cry:

where r u? its dark, cloudy and still at sub-zero temperatures here in SE london lol
Reply 572
Ive just had a snow ball fight in my lunch hour. Snow is awesome!

At the weekend on sunday i drove from Shropshire to Aberystwyth and back to Staffordshire with the car reading an ourside temp of between -6 and -13 using snow tyres. Slowly. Getting three hours sleep before work on monday.
Yeasterday i found that having left the car half a mile from my house ive dropped/placed/lost the key somewhere and after two hours of looking for it hitch hiked into work and started ringing garages and lock smiths. I juve had a phone call to say its sorted. tha cost me around hundred pounds.
This weekend the biking trip in Bristol i had planned is called off becuase it doesnt seem sensable and im going to go biking on my own locally instead. ive spend £50 on new biking cloths/gloves this year.

So yes, it does effect things, but you only need get grumpy if you let it.

Daniel
Original post by dhutch
Ive just had a snow ball fight in my lunch hour. Snow is awesome!

Same and at break time as well! :biggrin:
Reply 574
Original post by sc0307
where r u? its dark, cloudy and still at sub-zero temperatures here in SE london lol

South coast pal! It looks like summer here if you just look at the sky!
Original post by thecdon
South coast pal! It looks like summer here if you just look at the sky!

South coast too and

is what it looks like from my garden over Poole harbour. There's usually an island there and that's the sun :nothing:
Original post by Roobsa
What I don't get is why TFL doesn't just hop on the phone to say, the Norwegian transport people and be like, "Yo, how do you keep your public transport system running when there's snow everywhere?" They've been doing fine with snowy conditions since forever. Why TFL are so inept at dealing with these conditions. I don't mind the snow but it does get frustrating when all of London seemingly shuts down because of some snow. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but surely getting advice from a country who deal with worse weather than this is better than pissing about and cancelling all trains, flights etc?

But they still suffer disruption.

"As far as trains are concerned, there were severe problems last year which led the government train company to take some measures. It has been a little bit better this year," says Anders Bolling, a reporter on Om Dagens Nyheter.

"In February and March there were catastrophic scenes where people were stranded for days."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

A lot of Europe has been struggling with it. Geneva airport closed for 36 hours this week because of snow.

At the end of the day it comes down to money. The main issue with UK weather patterns is that we can go reasonably long spells with no severe winter weather. Next year or the following year we'll probably have very little snow in comparison to the last couple of years. Not a consistent enough weather pattern to justify vast expenditure.
(edited 13 years ago)
this is snow im my area we were making a snow bear :tongue:

Reply 578
Original post by blueray
this is snow im my area we were making a snow bear :tongue:

looks like an elephant :wink:
Just had a brief snowfall which lasted about two minutes. Still very minimal compared to further up North, my friend's had an entire week off University in Sheffield!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending