The Student Room Group

Religion is a complete load of crap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aJohnsonsun
You do realise that many religious people believe in evolution? And who are you to say what they should or shouldn't believe in, there is no definite evidence to disprove the possibility of God. Anyway, I'm not going to rant.

Have a look at my sig, it's appropriate in this case as your argument is basically saying it's fine to believe anything that can't be disproved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by giga_grif
Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.

What an original topic. You're clearly a ****ing moron. Don't read a book by some obnoxious **** and then parrot his arguments on here. It's been done to death.
(edited 13 years ago)
I agree 100% . I also hate it when religious people get all self righteous. Like I got told by a muslim that I am going to hell for having sex before marriage, acting like people who don't believe the same as them are a piece of crap.

Following religion is like believing that harry potter is real
Well I don't think the existance of God, for instance can be disproved by science. So therefore, saying god doesn't exist in a kind of blanket statement makes you a retard. The other thing that annoys me about atheism ,well the ones I have heard is, that they feel we are the top superior species on this planet that mankind is all powerful. How do they know? I believe we are just another species on this planet and we don't influence things as much as we think.

They see science, as a kind of religion in itself, to disprove what the bible thumpers think which I find a bit hypocritical. And many of them as well blindly follow the global warming and climate change ideas which some have claimed is a kind of modern day religion.It certain has some of religions bad traits such as persecution of those who do not believe.In fact they call them 'deniers', reminds me very much of the catholic church at it's most extreme.

Now I am not really a fan of man made religions, I see them as responsible for wars, and they also tend to indulge in hypocritical moralising.Many religious texts were written by men, and over the years they have been interpreted in ways that have been harmful. I do believe there are supernatural entities , or superior beings however, whether that means there is a god Iam not sure. I think that is probably the reason we see lights in the sky on occasion,odd flying objects and there have been odd things like spacecraft and odd looking humanoids painted by cavemen. I firmly believe that the US are in contact with whoever they are. They walk among us, but we are not able to see them unless they decide to, as they are that advanced.

If there is a God I do wonder, what he/she/it thinks of the boy buggering priests or the islamists who like to blow themselves up. I wonder if he/she/it is annoyed that God is assumed to be male or that homosexuals are viewed as not worthy by many religions as being religious leaders. Or I wonder what he/she/it thinks about how rich the catholic church is for example.If I was god I would sue the catholic church for copyright violations.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by spasmos

To criticise religion, you need to be prepared to understand it, and be specific - every religion is different and cannot be tarred with the same brush. The best critic for religion is the person who knows it inside out - the theologist.

Lastly, you should allow people to have faith, if it helps them to live a better, more fulfilled life, then who are we to criticise.

Yes they can. They all require "faith" ie believing something for which there is zero evidence. To say that one needs to understand the religion in order to criticise it, is absurd.

Onto the second point. Yes people can believe whatever they like in their own homes. But it never does quite work out like that does it?

For example why are shops only allowed to open for limited hours on Sundays?
An earlier attempt by Margaret Thatcher's government to allow Sunday shopping in 1986 was defeated in Parliament, with opposition coming from Conservative MPs who saw it as a threat to family life and church attendance, and Labour MPs who were concerned about workers' rights.

So here we have people making laws in parliament with religious bias. These laws are then forced upon everyone, even those who do not share the same religious beliefs. So I run out of milk on Sunday evening and I can't nip down to Tesco and buy some because some Christians think its a holy day. Fantastic.

Then in The House of Lords there are 26 seats guaranteed to bishops within the Church of England. How is this correct or fair?
Original post by -KingWalnut-
We are all atheists. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, then you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Are you intending on citing the source for that quote or are you just going to go ahead and pass it off as your own?

and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs.

how can u beleive in the theory of evolution when its just a theory (a geuss)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by *Dreaming*
I agree 100% . I also hate it when religious people get all self righteous. Like I got told by a muslim that I am going to hell for having sex before marriage, acting like people who don't believe the same as them are a piece of crap.

Following religion is like believing that harry potter is real

You mean I have no chance of going to hogwarts or visiting diagon alley?

Of course I have the chance if i believe enough.

You obviously haven't studied up on the books. Please open your heart, voldermorts influence can be extinguished, If you would only let magic into your heart.
Reply 27
:mob::mob::mob:
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Are you intending on citing the source for that quote or are you just going to go ahead and pass it off as your own?

I hope that second quote is sarcasm.
Original post by Excandersham
I hope that second quote is sarcasm.

a theory is just a geuss
a theory is just a geuss

So yes. Shouldhave probably figured due to the misspelling
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Excandersham
So yes. Shouldhave probably figured due to the misspelling

No fun.
Reply 32
Original post by Empire08
Yes they can. They all require "faith" ie believing something for which there is zero evidence. To say that one needs to understand the religion in order to criticise it, is absurd.

Onto the second point. Yes people can believe whatever they like in their own homes. But it never does quite work out like that does it?

For example why are shops only allowed to open for limited hours on Sundays?
So here we have people making laws in parliament with religious bias. These laws are then forced upon everyone, even those who do not share the same religious beliefs. So I run out of milk on Sunday evening and I can't nip down to Tesco and buy some because some Christians think its a holy day. Fantastic.

Then in The House of Lords there are 26 seats guaranteed to bishops within the Church of England. How is this correct or fair?

The fact that shops are only opened for limited hours on Sundays is beneficial to us all. A maintained and upheld day off means we aren't all slaves. Why should someone be pushed into working on a Sunday because you can't remember to stock up on a Saturday, or failing that get up before 4?
Reply 33
Anyone else SCARED by those who blindly follow a religion without ever really thinking freely and rationally? I am a strong atheist, and I just find people who follow a set of "rules" of a religion ignorant beyond belief. I am a logical person, and therefore I like to believe something based on EVIDENCE. Science is all about making a hypothesis and then providing evidence to either prove or disprove it, and the evidence for the theory of evolution is now so overwhelming I find it insulting when I meet someone who refuses to believe it due to their religious beliefs. People with religious beliefs have no evidence, and follow ONE book, which supposedly sets out gods will. There are books about unicorns and vampires, and the only argument religious people present to me is "You cant disprove god". You can't disprove vampires and unicorns, and indeed there is a vast amount of "evidence" in books to suggest their existence. This argument is an insult to anyone with an IQ above 40. When you have a debate with a religious person they also say that only a "higher being" could have made the universe, and say that something must have been around to cause the big bang. However this argument is flawed as ultimately someone must have created a "higher being" who then created the universe, and ultimately the creation of the universe is a question which science is alot closer to answering than religion which is in my opinion a cop out way of explaining how the universe was created.

Just interested in people's opinions on religion on here really, having read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins its an area which I would like to discuss.

+rep-ed
Reply 34
:facepalm2: Thus the Religion of Dawkinism sweeps through the forum once more, striking blasphemers and heretics from its path so that the righteous Atheists, the Chosen ones of their Prophet Dawkins, shall be saved and led to their Promised Land of No Religions Allowed.

Please, your post is pathetically written, OP. Get some decent arguments. Look at the other threads that have been posted on this topic and get your head out of Dawkins ass. Maybe then I'll deign to debate with you properly.
Original post by Elipsis
The fact that shops are only opened for limited hours on Sundays is beneficial to us all. A maintained and upheld day off means we aren't all slaves. Why should someone be pushed into working on a Sunday because you can't remember to stock up on a Saturday, or failing that get up before 4?

There's a job shortage at the moment, how many people would like to take a Sunday job? Many students take Saturday jobs, so why are Sunday jobs out of bounds?
Also, Jewish people have their sabbath on a Friday/Satuday. This puts them at a significant disadvantage, as they would have to be closed most of the weekend; when most shoppers buy things.

Many shops are 24/7 except on a Sunday. Are you okay with people working at 2am? And why does it have to be Sunday? Monday would be a better day off imo, because who's going to shop on a Monday?
Reply 36
Original post by Ministerdonut
Well I don't think the existance of God, for instance can be disproved by science. So therefore, saying god doesn't exist in a kind of blanket statement makes you a retard.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a religious deity. Atheism is not the belief that there is no god. There's a subtle but important distinction here.

Original post by Ministerdonut
The other thing that annoys me about atheism ,well the ones I have heard is, that they feel we are the top superior species on this planet that mankind is all powerful. How do they know? I believe we are just another species on this planet and we don't influence things as much as we think.

WTF?

Isn't it religion, or at least religions like Christianity and Islam, that claim humans are a superior species?

Here's a section from Genesis:

"God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food."

It's this view, in my opinion, that leads a lot of Muslims and etc to deny the scientific fact of evolution - they just can't bring themselves to accept that we are just another species in the tree of life.
(edited 13 years ago)

*giggles* :mmm:

No fun.

Laconic.

Original post by Hylean
:facepalm2: Thus the Religion of Dawkinism sweeps through the forum once more, striking blasphemers and heretics from its path so that the righteous Atheists, the Chosen ones of their Prophet Dawkins, shall be saved and led to their Promised Land of No Religions Allowed.

Please, your post is pathetically written, OP. Get some decent arguments. Look at the other threads that have been posted on this topic and get your head out of Dawkins ass. Maybe then I'll deign to debate with you properly.

Only through experience, advancment of age and acquisition of wisdom can one write a truely funny and straight-to-the-point post on the subject of anti-monotheism disguised as pro-atheistic challenges. Good stuff, worth a few giggles. :wink2: (and that's a compliment by the way, you cold, philisophical heretic :colonhash: )
Yes. My former friend is a Jehovah's Witness and she decided to quit school on the basis that 'God would look after her'. She now works at McDonalds. Such a waste.
Reply 39

You say your views are based on logic, but it seems that instead they a born from a desire to feel superior to others. As Ellipsis has said, some of the smartest people have followed religion or at least believed in some sort of force. Yes this alone doesnt prove the existence of a god, but it puts your ideas on how atheism develops to sh**.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending