The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by msazbubble
Oh okay thanks! It's cuths btw, for theology!

I see you're also sitting on an offer from Edinburgh... I know it's a Durham thread but someone said this to me and I'm wondering what you think?

"Scottish Highers are not as advanced as A levels. The first year at Edinburgh is for the Scots to catch up. This is why it is a four year course. The MA honours (you stay on for a year) is equivalent to an English BA (which is of course three years."

Congrats then! Durham is solid for theology, just look at all of the theology alumni.

Well as I'm sure you already know, the scots system is a bit different. They don't have yr 13, so one could make the argument that A levels are a bit more advanced. But its not a massive difference. The main reason the scots degree is 4 yrs is bc there is a little more breadth. A lot of people take outside subjects or do two courses. Plus the fact that they only go up to yr 12.

I know it isn't uncommon for applicants doing A levels to start the course at yr 2. I would highly recommend you email an admissions tutor to see what you can do about yr 2 entry. Because I'm not sure how this factors in for theology/religious studies.

I'm going to be firming Durham (99% positive). The decision was a little easier for me because the LLB from Edinburgh is scots law, which would limit me a bit in career prospects if I wanted to work in London. Then being offered castle sealed the deal.

On the other hand, Edinburgh is a lovely city. Plus it is truly a classical institution. Has a very impressive list of alumni--I mean Alexander Graham Bell and Doyle....plus Adam Smith taught there.

Being that I'm firming Durham, I'm a little biased--so go for Durham! Plus it's always ranked 3rd for theology...just behind Oxbridge.
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pinkpencilcase
How are the history offers going? I am starting to get really anxious due to all the offers everyone is getting at school. Is no news really good news?

If it helps at all i have received offers from York and Sheffield (for History/ V100) but haven't heard a thing from Durham or St Andrews. The word is that we won't hear back until January but that you should keep an eye on the application status via the Durham tracker cause some people have reported that their applications have been sent to colleges already (i'm not sure how accurate this is, my certainly hasn't made it through the department yet). Anyway, i hope that is reassuring =) Like you i'm sticking to the 'No news is good news' mentality
Just checked the AES on a whim and it says my application has been received by a College - extremely surprised, especially considering I'm deferring! Not getting my hopes up too high, just in case, but keeping fingers crossed. Aaaaah. XD
Original post by Philip_H
Offer BBB for Biological Anthropology. Woop.

Me too! Which college?
Reply 1644
I just got a conditional offer for L200 Politics! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by ry307
I just got a conditional offer for L200 Politics! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Fantastic, well done! :biggrin:
Reply 1646
Original post by treaclepie
Me too! Which college?

John Snow, you?
Reply 1647
Original post by Noodlzzz
Got allocated to St. Cuths from Univ, not bad but I do like the formal :frown:

did you get told this on UCAS Track by the campus code? Or did it still say your original choice of college when you first got the offer and then they wrote to you to change it? if so how long did it take for them to tell you your college? I'm dying to know if i managed to get into Castle, but it think its really unlikely!

Oh well i'm really pleased just to have an offer really, but castle would be the cherry on the cake :biggrin:
Reply 1648
Has anyone received an offer for Physics or Physics and Astronomy or Theoretical Physics?
Original post by xxiexxva
Has anyone received an offer for Physics or Physics and Astronomy or Theoretical Physics?

No, still waiting... :rolleyes:
Has anyone received an offer for PPE at Durham?
Original post by Philip_H
John Snow, you?

Ah Stephenson for me :smile:
Original post by Sophia14
did you get told this on UCAS Track by the campus code? Or did it still say your original choice of college when you first got the offer and then they wrote to you to change it? if so how long did it take for them to tell you your college? I'm dying to know if i managed to get into Castle, but it think its really unlikely!

Oh well i'm really pleased just to have an offer really, but castle would be the cherry on the cake :biggrin:

Hasn't updated on ucas yet. Got a letter in the post about 5 weeks after.
Reply 1653
thanks a lot :biggrin: just got to wait now i guess!
Original post by blackpot
Hmm I'm starting to worry :s-smilie:

Don’t worry, I sent my application for psychology in mid october and I still haven’t heard back. What I’ve heard from previous years is that there is no set pattern to Durham’s decision making, they’re really random. Some people get offers in a month and others get offers 4 months later. But I’m starting to get really annoyed now, I’ve got offers from my other choices but not Durham, which ideally I’d like to firm (fingers crossed I get in)
anybody heard from biomed?
my AES status has been "decison not yet made" for 2 months now :frown:
Original post by Dunnowhattoputhere
Don’t worry, I sent my application for psychology in mid october and I still haven’t heard back. What I’ve heard from previous years is that there is no set pattern to Durham’s decision making, they’re really random. Some people get offers in a month and others get offers 4 months later. But I’m starting to get really annoyed now, I’ve got offers from my other choices but not Durham, which ideally I’d like to firm (fingers crossed I get in)

It's about as non-random as you can get!

People apply, they read the applications, if you're an amazing candidate (one of the best they've seen in any year), you'll get an offer quickly.

If you clearly have no chance of getting in (predicted 3 Ds at A level, no Maths A level for a Maths degree, etc.), you'll get a quick rejection.

Everyone else goes in the 'maybe' pile, to be considered once all the applications are in after the January deadline.

They can't give out too many offers now for popular subjects because they are legally bound to consider everyone who applies before the January deadline equally and fairly. Clearly giving out 80% of the offers by December would be unfair.
Reply 1657
Anybody had an offer for history?

Im starting to loose faith....:s-smilie:
Reply 1658
Original post by angelmxxx
It's about as non-random as you can get!

People apply, they read the applications, if you're an amazing candidate (one of the best they've seen in any year), you'll get an offer quickly.

If you clearly have no chance of getting in (predicted 3 Ds at A level, no Maths A level for a Maths degree, etc.), you'll get a quick rejection.

Everyone else goes in the 'maybe' pile, to be considered once all the applications are in after the January deadline.

They can't give out too many offers now for popular subjects because they are legally bound to consider everyone who applies before the January deadline equally and fairly. Clearly giving out 80% of the offers by December would be unfair.

I think I'm a pretty good candidate tbh...5 As at AS, predicted 5A*s...and I haven't heard.
Original post by BigPash
Anybody had an offer for history?

Im starting to loose faith....:s-smilie:

I have seen a few Durham offers for history on TSR, don't have one myself though. I assume more will start coming after the January deadline :smile:

Latest