The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PerigeeApogee
Err, the fact that our values have led to so much intellectual, technological, social and political progress, whereas the values of the middle-eastern nations has led to nothing changing in those countries since medieval times.

LOL I sincerely hope, for your sake, you're joking.
Reply 181
Original post by CharlieBee_90
I would say then, that in Britain, mainstream Christianity and Islam are generally quite similar.

How can you possibly say something like that?

You think mainstream Christianity and Islam are similar when it comes to the separation of politicians religious, democracy, evolution, the treatment of gay people and et cetera? That is ludicrous.

The death penalty, for example, is one topic where mainstream Christianity in the United Kingdom differs greatly from mainstream Islam in the United Kingdom. The Catholic Church and the Anglican Church are pretty much against this disgusting practice. Similarly, the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church have largely accepted evolution.
Reply 182
Original post by adam_zed
But isnt it this exact anti-tolerant attitude that is one of the reasons why many of you dislike Islam? So really you are of the same calibre as the intolerant extremists? The only difference being that you feel that it is your intolerance that is more deserving of attention than theirs.

So, a Jewish person who hates a Nazi is the same as a Nazi who hates Jews, yes? Or, a black person who hates the KKK is no different from a KKK member who hates blacks.

That's what you're basically saying.
Reply 183
Original post by CullenLoverX
LOL I sincerely hope, for your sake, you're joking.

Name me one great Islamic Scientific Breakthrough in the past 100 years (that has been discovered or devloped in a Muslim country) ?
Original post by Wacp
That's questionable.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080617090608/http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=5869

In what way is it liberalising?

How can you be so sure? I'd like to see some evidence.

Evidence?

How do you know? Again, you're making outrageous claims wouldn't providing evidence

[quote-callum9999]I thought our actions were because "all muslims are potential terrorists"?

I don't want a lot of Muslim this country, but not for that silly reason. I don't want it because they are a threat to liberal values.

True. Maybe it was because he was a priest? On a side note, that demonstrates that you don't have to be muslim in Saudi Arabia - a claim you made earlier.

In many ways. There is a reasonable level freedom of religion, they are improving human rights in the country etc. Basically a non-muslim could move to the UAE and publicly follow a foreign religion and live a free life (including things like drinking alcohol, eating pork etc.). No democracy yet though.

Evidence of what? It hasn't happened yet so I can hardly provide evidence can I.

It's not an outrageous claim, it's the very statement this thread is about... We should stop muslims because they are responsible for terrorist attacks...

Liberal muslims aren't a threat to liberal values - actually less so than strict christians...
Err, the fact that our values have led to so much intellectual, technological, social and political progress, whereas the values of the middle-eastern nations has led to nothing changing in those countries since medieval times.

Is change necessarily always good? Why should Europe, who I completely agree has progressed over time, have the moral high ground over other countries who may not have progressed at a similar pace or progressed at all? Just because we have changed over time in comparison to other countries, it does not mean we have the right to disregard anything that does not suit our own.

Tolerance is a fantastic attribute to have.
Yes.

I am bloody sick of people mentioning Christianity every time we're talking about Islam, as if that adds some sort of credence to what the Muslims are doing.

"Oh, but the Christians are doing it, and you're not criticising them."

I ****ing AM criticising them. I despise ALL religion in ALL shapes and form in this country - so trying to dodge one of my criticisms by comparing actions to those of other religious people in the country does not hold water.

As far as I'm concerned, if your belief system comes from ANY medieval arabic texts, then you can piss of back to where they came from and live in countries where the values of such religions are ingrained in the politics and culture.

I'm hardly dodging your criticism, considering I despise the concept of religion...

The reason people bring it up is because people arguing like you do, generally hold hypocritical beliefs on the matter. So you'll just have to put up with it (or don't specify you are talking about muslims, just say religious etc.),
Original post by PlanetEuropa
Name me one great Islamic Scientific Breakthrough in the past 100 years (that has been discovered or devloped in a Muslim country) ?

If Muslims had not being generous enough to share the knowledge they gained during the Islamic Golden Age, there'd have been no Renaissance and your country would still be in the Middle Ages.
Lets b honest muslims are always in the news for BAD stuff (understand the emphasis on bad) is it rlly fair? some of the stuff non muslims do is soooo bad.
Reply 189
Original post by callum9999
Only a moron would think banning muslim immigration would stop terrorist attacks - I'd be shocked if they did anything other than increase them.

It's completely unworkable and I'd like to hear how you propose it could possibly be enforced. Anyone who looks Arab isn't allowed in?

Did you quote the wrong person or was this question aimed at me (or aimed at OP)?
Original post by PlanetEuropa
Since when does being democratic mean we have to open our doors to undemocratic Muslims ?

What are you retarded? Do you need a definition?
Original post by Diaz89
As usual, people completely miss the motivation for the bombing and rant off in a different tangent.

Shame

Go on, what's the motivation? The fact that a civilised and peaceful nation like Sweden has had the grace to share it's prosperity and security with refugees of foreign cultures, or the fact that it is tolerant enough to allow these fcuking animals to practice the same religion that justified their attempt at mass murder?

Oh wait, Sweden has peacekeepers in Afghanistan....

The sad thing is that the refugees who come to Sweden - the genuine ones, not the fake ones - have been clawing their way out of Muslim countries, now their co-religionists are closing the Swedish door on them. Wrong people are going to suffer.
Reply 192
Original post by Inzamam99
If Muslims had not being generous enough to share the knowledge they gained during the Islamic Golden Age, there'd have been no Renaissance and your country would still be in the Middle Ages.

1. That was not my question.

2. if westerners were not generous enough to share our knowledge Muslims would be living in the dark ages(although a lot of Muslim countries still resemble the dark ages).

3. Muslims had **** all to do with renaissance.

4. There is no proof that without Muslims we would still be living in the middle ages.

5. We have contributed more to world knowledge than Muslims ever have. Islamic discovery is pale in comparison to western discovery.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bunty64
Did you quote the wrong person or was this question aimed at me (or aimed at OP)?

Ah a bit of both, I read their last line as being your first for some reason!

I am curious what you think the British government should have done about it though - you imply they've done nothing?
Original post by capucinnolover
You guys should watch "My Name is Khan" film. It'll show you the different views of Muslims.

Not really, that film is about how Indian Muslims who aren't associated with terrorism being punished for it due to racial stereotyping.
Reply 195
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Go on, what's the motivation? The fact that a civilised and peaceful nation like Sweden has had the grace to share it's prosperity and security with refugees of foreign cultures, or the fact that it is tolerant enough to allow these fcuking animals to practice the same religion that justified their attempt at mass murder?

Oh wait, Sweden has peacekeepers in Afghanistan....

The sad thing is that the refugees who come to Sweden - the genuine ones, not the fake ones - have been clawing their way out of Muslim countries, now their co-religionists are closing the Swedish door on them. Wrong people are going to suffer.

Pretty much

The rest of what you said has no relevance nor does it justify occupation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEsWRXV_BM

have a watch
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by jaggedspike
Its a fact that Pakistan supports terrorist militants.

yet america continues to provide billions to pakistan and britain acts like a bitch and sucks up. Laughable!

Cameron tried to front to zadari but got blown down and recently got blasted by the pakistani prime minister after he tried to invite himself to islamabad after his tour of afghanistan....
Original post by ajtiesto
I cannot agree more. What did Iraq ever do to Britain is another question you have to ask.

Yet there are countries out like Israel mudering innocent women and children every single, causing absolute destruction and misery. Why aren't the Americans and British dealing with Israel's occupation of Palestine? These are one of many reasons as to why Britain and the US are targets for terrorists.

Take your head out of your arse hole. I'm pretty sure the Israeli Palestine conflict has one of the lowest casualty rates of any modern conflict. Have you ever spared a thought for those innocent Jewish children and women who have suffered for thousands of years at the hands of Christian Europe and Muslims? Have you every thought about things from Israels point of view? (Having a whole region despise you (even want you dead) because you try to take back your holy land from a group of rootless Arab invaders left over in the region).

Do you ever spare a thought for the innocent women who have practically zero human rights under Taliban rule? Someone said earlier in this thread if we could stop Muslim terrorism today the biggest beneficiaries would be Muslims themselves and people agreed. Isn't this justification for the "invasion" of Iraq and Afghanistan? The war is not on the actual country but the dictators and brutal regimes which not only pose a threat to the surrounding region but the West too. (Don't talk about Saddam - any notion that we instated him initially only DOUBLES our responsibility to remove him).

You even talked about this stemming from the westernization of Muslim countries... really? It works both ways... Not only have western countries become more tolerant of Middle Eastern culture (even if it conflicts with their own) but these westernized Muslim countries are MORE THAN HAPPY to receive trade & business from the west. This is how civilization works and progresses. Stop ****ing blaming the big bad west/evil Jews for the problems and instability in that region.

It stems down to a conflict between fundamental Islam ideologies/backwards culture and the direction in which the world is moving.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1296126090432829344#
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wacp
How can you possibly say something like that?

You think mainstream Christianity and Islam are similar when it comes to the separation of politicians religious, democracy, evolution, the treatment of gay people and et cetera? That is ludicrous.

Judging by the links I provided earlier, it would certainly seem that way, yes.

Original post by Wacp
The death penalty, for example, is one topic where mainstream Christianity in the United Kingdom differs greatly from mainstream Islam in the United Kingdom.

70% of British people support the death penalty...

Original post by Wacp
Similarly, the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church have largely accepted evolution.

Why is this relevant? I don't really see how not believing in evolution is a threat to democracy...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 199
Original post by callum9999
In many ways. There is a reasonable level freedom of religion, they are improving human rights in the country etc. Basically a non-muslim could move to the UAE and publicly follow a foreign religion and live a free life (including things like drinking alcohol, eating pork etc.). No democracy yet though.

There remain very significant human rights issues in the UAE, including a lack of respect for freedom of religion. There are only, for example, seven religions recognised.

callum9999
Evidence of what? It hasn't happened yet so I can hardly provide evidence can I.

Then you can't be sure that it will happen.

callum9999
It's not an outrageous claim, it's the very statement this thread is about... We should stop muslims because they are responsible for terrorist attacks.

As I said, I do not agree with that statement. I think the percentage of Muslims in the West should be limited because they are a threat to liberal values, and why shouldn't be want to preserve our liberal values? When a resolution condemning the use of the death penalty or homophobia in the United Nations, Muslim majority countries, perhaps with the exception of Turkey and one or two more countries, oppose them on the basis that they are a threat to their culture and religion. Well, if they have a right to preserve their culture, then so do we.

callum9999
Liberal muslims aren't a threat to liberal values - actually less so than strict christians...

In what are these 'liberal Muslims' liberal? And, what percentage of Muslims are 'liberal Muslims'?

Latest

Trending

Trending