The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PlanetEuropa
Name me one great Islamic Scientific Breakthrough in the past 100 years (that has been discovered or devloped in a Muslim country) ?

Well I don't really understand why you want something from the past 100 years, considering most of the major scientific/mathematical breakthroughs were achieved way before that time and laid the foundation for modern day science. But heres just a few breakthroughs these 'backwards -insert derogratory term here-' discovered.

Spoiler

Reply 201
Original post by CullenLoverX
Well I don't really understand why you want something from the past 100 years, considering most of the major scientific/mathematical breakthroughs were achieved way before that time and laid the foundation for modern day science. But heres just a few breakthroughs these 'backwards -insert derogratory term here-' discovered.

Spoiler

So you are not able to answer my question ? I asked what has Islam contributed in the past 100 years ?

INstead you just gave me a small list of Arabic inventions many centuries ago ( a lot of them invented or devloped before Islam existed)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by callum9999
Ah a bit of both, I read their last line as being your first for some reason!

I am curious what you think the British government should have done about it though - you imply they've done nothing?

My hope is that the swedish gov crack down on the root of this terrorist attack (if it is one) unlike the british (who didn't confront pakistan on their support or lack of response to islamic extremist ideology/terror trainging etc after the london bombings and the general global islamic terror acts.

Britain have invaded iraq and afghanistan to supposedly "liberate" oppressed people (and fight a "war on terror") yet act like a little bitch when it comes to pakistan)......

How many lives and billions have they wasted on these wars (money which could have been well spent at home)
1. That was not my question.

2. if westerners were not generous enough to share our knowledge Muslims would be living in the dark ages(although a lot of Muslim countries still resemble the dark ages).

3. Muslims had **** all to do with renaissance.

4. There is no proof that without Muslims we would still be living in the middle ages.

5. We have contributed more to world knowledge than Muslims ever have. Islamic discovery is pale in comparison to western discovery.

1) Muslims had EVERYTHING to do with the renaissance- it's only because of the knowledge gained through the Islamic Golden Age that happened in the first place.

2) Islamic civilisation moved out of the Dark Ages several hundreds years before Western civilisation actually :fyi: If you ever read a book about medical methods used by the Westeners and the Muslims during the Crusades, I'm sure you'd understand.

3) Islamic discovery certianly doesn't pale compared to Western discovery.

If you had ever read a book or something on the topic, you'd know all this but actually you're just a biased, dumb ****.
Reply 204
So you are not able to answer my question ? I asked what has Islam contributed in the past 100 years ?

INstead you just gave me a small list of Arabic inventions many centuries ago ( a lot of them invented or devloped before Islam existed)

well nothign really. No religion has contributed anything in the last 100 years. Its just been suicide bombings, wars and a world wide peadophile ring.
Original post by Wacp
So, a Jewish person who hates a Nazi is the same as a Nazi who hates Jews, yes? Or, a black person who hates the KKK is no different from a KKK member who hates blacks.

That's what you're basically saying.

No, that is what you are saying. You believe that the rare instance of violence from a group following an extreme version of a religion is comparable to the horrendous oppression experienced by both the Jews and black americans. I mean really?

Original post by PerigeeApogee

The difference is that your intolerance of something must be justified.

My intolerance of Islam is justified. Islam's intolerance of all the things it is intolerant of is not justified. 'It is my religion' is not a justification for anything.

Oh, so you are setting the rules for when intolerance is acceptable now? Why is your intolerance acceptable, because it is you that is doing it? Me thinks that someone has to much merit attached to his own ego.
Reply 206
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Judging by the links I provided earlier, it would certainly seem that way, yes.

What links?

CharlieBee_90
70% of British people support the death penalty.

No, they do not. The actual figure is more like 50 per cent for the general population. Among Muslims, however, support rises to around 63 per cent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/patriotic-respectful-and-homophobic-a-portrait-of-british-muslims-state-of-mind-1681062.html

And, in any case, that's not really relevant. We are comparing mainstream Christianity (which, in the United Kingdom, is Anglicanism and Catholicism) and mainstream Islam. As I said before, both the Anglican Church and the Roman Catholic Church are pretty much strongly opposed to the death penalty

CharlieBee_90
Why is this relevant? I don't really see how not believing in evolution is a threat to democracy...

Denying scientific facts like evolution per se is not a threat to democracy; however, it is a symptom of the problem.
Original post by Inzamam99
No, it's not you ignorant ****. Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence Agency supports certain factions of the Afghan Taliban as it aids Pakistan's national security. Before you get on your moral ****ing high horse about this remember that this is a strategic not a religious decision. Also keep in mind that you have no right to criticise others when your own country appeased the Nazis, refused to stop the Rwandan genocide, traded with Pinochet, was an ally of Saddam when he committed genocide, supports brutal dictatorships in the Middle East and didn't think to stop the Holocaust even when they knew about it.

First of all you don't know anything about me, how about we raise the standard of the discussion here instead of resorting to language that makes you look pathetically weak. You can check Wikileaks, US and Indian government statements accusing Pakistan of equipping and training militants to send into Jammu and Kashmir to cause instability. The root cause of 26/11. Whether or not it aids Pakistan is irrelevant, they do assist the Taliban. The Taliban attacks US/British/Other troops and also enters into disputed territory, so how can you justify that? You can't, thus your frustration. ISI is rogue, they do make decisions without the governments approval. No country has ever been stupid enough to instigate a nuclear war with a nuclear rival over petty causes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Services_Intelligence#Activities_in_India_and_Afghanistan
(edited 13 years ago)

Did you not read my reply?

Well, how about you tell us about all the inventions Christianity has come up with in the last 100 years?
Reply 210
Original post by CullenLoverX
Did you not read my reply?

Those discoveries were not in the past 100 years, they were many many centuries ago. I asked what has Islam contributed to knowledge in the past 100 years.
Those discoveries were not in the past 100 years, they were many many centuries ago. I asked what has Islam contributed to knowledge in the past 100 years.

What the hell has that got to do with anything?
Reply 212
Original post by adam_zed
Well, how about you tell us about all the inventions Christianity has come up with in the last 100 years?

How about the discovery of genetics ? for one. There are too many to mention. Albiet the discoverers are in a secular country not a christian state.
Reply 213
No, that is what you are saying. You believe that the rare instance of violence from a group following an extreme version of a religion is comparable to the horrendous oppression experienced by both the Jews and black americans. I mean really?

I am not talking about terrorism. I am talking about lack of respect for human rights, xenophobia, homophobia, sexism and et cetera, none of which are, unfortunately, 'rare' in the 'Muslim world'.

For example, if a secular atheist has a negative opinion of Muslims and/or Islam because of the lack of respect Muslims and Islam has for secularism and atheism, would it be fair to say that this secular atheist is no different from the Muslim who has a lack of respect/negative view of atheists and secularism? If so, then you're basically saying that a black person who does not like the KKK is the same as a KKK member who doesn't like black people.
Original post by Diaz89
Pretty much

The rest of what you said has no relevance nor does it justify occupation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEsWRXV_BM

have a watch

It has no relevance to the objective of removing Swedish forces from Afghanistan, but in your mind - as an apologist for Islamist terrorism, this is objective justifies the action. For most of the rest of us, it does not, especially when Swedish peace keepers are a far better alternative to savage barbarians like the Taleban.
Reply 215
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Or, if the other foul Abrahamic religion of Christianity hadn't plagued Europe, we would never have had the Dark Ages, the Islamic world would need never have bothered with science, and we wouldn't have lost 300 years of progress. We'd be much further ahead.

The only reason it is referred to as the 'Islamic Golden age' is because of the comparison by the rest of the world at the time - and the rest of the world was under the grip of Islam's big brother at the time. Speaking relative to what the Europeans acheived before the Dark Ages, and what they would have achieved had the Dark Ages not come along, the Islamic world achieved relatively little.

The moral of the story is that all religion plagues all progress.

When did they get internet access in special schools? Clearly that is where you are posting from. Without Christianity science would not have been practised at all in this country before 1800. Christianity provided the men with the time off to delve into such pursuits, and backed them with the necessary money. Indeed the most Abrahamic - the Jews, are the most scientifically orientated race the world has ever seen. Prior to Christianity we were sacrificing sheep in the hope the sun would rise tomorrow.

And I told you that there was no point looking at what Islam has contributed in just the past 100 years, as Islam laid the foundations for what is being discovered now, centuries later.
Reply 217
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
It has no relevance to the objective of removing Swedish forces from Afghanistan, but in your mind - as an apologist for Islamist terrorism, this is objective justifies the action. For most of the rest of us, it does not, especially when Swedish peace keepers are a far better alternative to savage barbarians like the Taleban.

Indeed it doesn't, it doesn't achieve anything, but that isn't the same in the mind of the perpetrators and one must come to understand what that motivations is and the motivation is clear.

As with your last post, the remainder has no relevance and not worth replying to.
Reply 218

How about the computer you're typing on right now? Or the internet you're logged onto to get onto this forum. Or the screen you're looking at? Or the windows that are keeping the cold out. Or the light you're sitting under? Or the heat that is keeping you warm? Or the food that you eat for dinner? Hmmmm.
(edited 13 years ago)
Anyone else find it ironic that Sweden; one of the most (if not the most) lenient country in Europe towards Muslims gets attacked?

Latest

Trending

Trending