The Student Room Group

Changing course (During UCAS process)

Hi

I have have applied to do architecture at various universities around the county. But I was wondering what position I would be in if I was to change my course? - but I have already received a few offers to do this course.

Is ok to change before the deadline, and am I able to apply to different courses at the same time (For example, English and maths) or do all of the universities I apply to have to be for the same course?

I rather do this now than having wasting my time when I begin the course. I know I picked the course, but their is a part of me that isn't satisfied with my career choice. Would I have to wait till next year?
(edited 13 years ago)
Are you sure about the course you'd rather do? I'd say your best bet is to take a gap year. It's not a very long time but in the scale of things might be your best bet to be sure on the course you want to do. :smile: best of luck
Reply 2
That's what I was thinking. Taking a gap year, allows my parents to gather up the money needed (My sister will be applying too soon :x)

I don't think i'll be able to apply again this year, so i'll have to withdraw my application.

But what are the odds for students in my position (taking a gap year and then applying?)

Would I apply through my school again like this year? As in my teachers writing a reference and such, or would it be different?
Reply 3
tbf I'd avoid taking a gap year like the plague at this point due to the change in fees
Original post by Orange92
Hi

I have have applied to do architecture at various universities around the county. But I was wondering what position I would be in if I was to change my course? - but I have already received a few offers to do this course.

Is ok to change before the deadline, and am I able to apply to different courses at the same time (For example, English and maths) or do all of the universities I apply to have to be for the same course?

I rather do this now than having wasting my time when I begin the course. I know I picked the course, but their is a part of me that isn't satisfied with my career choice. Would I have to wait till next year?

There are a few things you can do, actually, rather than reapply:

1) Contact the unis and ask to be considered for a different course, along with submit an alternate PS.

2) Reject all offers and use Extra in February time (wait to see what's in Extra before rejecting offers.)

3) Use Clearing or Adjustment (Clearing has better statistics) in the summer.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
There are a few things you can do, actually, rather than reapply:

1) Contact the unis and ask to be considered for a different course, along with submit an alternate PS.

2) Reject all offers and use Extra in February time (wait to see what's in Extra before rejecting offers.)

3) Use Clearing or Adjustment (Clearing has better statistics) in the summer.

How does Extra work? Like how many courses can you pick?

My main thought is regarding submitting another PS. Would is contact a university saying I would like to change to y. They say they will consider it based off a PS that I send them. Would they then change this on UCAS for me. What if they don't do my course? And if they say no, would I look at option 2) or 3) ?

And the same for clearing/adjustment, how does this differ from Extra?
Original post by Orange92
How does Extra work? Like how many courses can you pick?

My main thought is regarding submitting another PS. Would is contact a university saying I would like to change to y. They say they will consider it based off a PS that I send them. Would they then change this on UCAS for me. What if they don't do my course? And if they say no, would I look at option 2) or 3) ?

And the same for clearing/adjustment, how does this differ from Extra?

In Extra, you are eligible if you hold no offers and it gives you a chance to apply for additional courses one by one. Means you'll have no insurance, but it's a good way of changing course and a lot of people do it.

(I'm assuming we're discussing changing at your current unis here.) You'd contact all the unis that do the course you now want and ask to be considered by the new course, offering to submit another PS - this would be by e-mail, and would no show up on Track. If they considered it and made you an offer, it would change on Track; if not, you'd keep your original offer.

If they don't do your course or they all say no (you don't need more than one to say yes, although it would be nice :wink:), then you proceed to option two and three. You can use both, so no need to limit it.

Clearing is similar to Extra, but different as well. Main difference being the time you use it - Extra starts in February, and Clearing starts on results day. Clearing is more of a rush, but a lot of people are successful during it so don't let horror stories put you off. Another difference is it's pretty much all arranged over the phone so an alternate PS may not be needed if you have good phone skills and, if you can get a few people of the same sex around phoning unis, you can pursue a few simultaneously.

I changed course quite dramatically myself through Clearing, so if you have any specific questions about that, ask away. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheSownRose
x

Thanks for your input, it's helped greatly.

For option 1) I understand that it's down to me to contact the universities that I have already applied for (For example, kent) I should contact Kent, saying that I no longer wish to study architecture, but instead would like to study psychology. Then I await a reply and go from there? But I can only do this if the universities to the course that I would now like to do, right?

For Extra, I look at a list of courses (Are these courses with vacancies due to lack of applicants?) If I like the look of (For example, English) this one course, at two different universities - then I would reject all of my current offers and then apply through here? If I get declined, then I would go to step 3?

So come results day, I have the option to apply for any course which has similar criteria to extra? As I don't want to do this course, would I reject all of the offers first, then go to clearing?
By doing clearing, am I guaranteed accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending