The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyam
I know these aren't absolute indicators of intelligence, but given your awful understanding of the English language I get the feeling you aren't at Cambridge yourself. This is compounded by the fact that you're rather irritating and I hope they wouldn't let someone like you in. This is further compounded because if you were at Cambridge (I'm aware term is over) you should have better things to be doing.

If you are at Cambridge, well done, no need to make others feel inferior, after all, admissions do make mistakes sometimes and I think you're a testament to that. I do, however, agree that the unhealthy obsession with the university is something which is rife on here, and ought to be quelled a little. It is an amazing institution, but there are other universities, for example, UCL/Durham/Annies/Edinburgh/Imperial/LSE and so on.

Having lived in Cambridge for many years and had more run-ins with students than I care to remember, I can tell you they most certainly do let irritating people in.
Original post by TheSownRose
Having lived in Cambridge for many years and had more run-ins with students than I care to remember, I can tell you they most certainly do let irritating people in.

AND I'M AT JOHN'S BITCHESSSSSS

don't worry, i'm here all week folks.

but that's it, because then i really have to do some revision.

you'll grow to love me.
Reply 102
i was wondering if they consider gcse's equally important as alevels predictions, PS?
Original post by Somi.A
i was wondering if they consider gcse's equally important as alevels predictions, PS?

No, I wouldn't have gotten an interview if they had. Two A*s out of 7 gcses :-)
Reply 104
Original post by Somi.A

No, they don't. AS results and your predicted A2 grades take precedent. Source: Open Day.
Reply 105
I'm hoping (praying) they look at both AS & GCSE. I've just got back from my interview (which went ok ish) and was feeling quite positive till I read this thread!

If an offer rests on AS results then I'm stuffed. My GCSE's were good - 7A*,6A & 1C but my AS were pretty rubbish compared to everyone else's on here - AABC. GCSEs must come into the equation somewhere or why else would they have wanted to interview me?

Good luck to everyone :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by Beryl p
I'm hoping (praying) they look at both AS & GCSE. I've just got back from my interview (which went ok ish) and was feeling quite positive till I read this thread!

If an offer rests on AS results then I'm stuffed. My GCSE's were good - 7A*,6A & 1C but my AS were pretty rubbish compared to everyone else's on here - AABC. GCSEs must come into the equation somewhere or why else would they have wanted to interview me?

Perhaps because of your personal statement, reference, predicted grades and AS levels, which frankly aren't bad at all. At the end of the day, you were given an interview because they felt you were in with a chance if you did well at interview. Your GCSEs may have helped you get an interview, but I doubt they'll help you get an offer, that's down to your interview performance (and whatever other things they can assess.)

Good luck to you too! I don't think you need to be worried if you think your interview went well, just relax and wait for the letter! :smile:
Reply 107
Original post by Beryl p

Original post by Lyam
Perhaps because of your personal statement, reference, predicted grades and AS levels, which frankly aren't bad at all. At the end of the day, you were given an interview because they felt you were in with a chance if you did well at interview. Your GCSEs may have helped you get an interview, but I doubt they'll help you get an offer, that's down to your interview performance (and whatever other things they can assess.)

Good luck to you too! I don't think you need to be worried if you think your interview went well, just relax and wait for the letter! :smile:

I do think they matter, for some 90-95% (or something like that) of all applicants are invited to interview. Since they didn't really sort a lot of people out pre-interview, they have to consider all information available to make decisions. So I wouldn't worry too much :smile: Good luck.
Reply 108
Original post by qua
I do think they matter, for some 90-95% (or something like that) of all applicants are invited to interview. Since they didn't really sort a lot of people out pre-interview, they have to consider all information available to make decisions. So I wouldn't worry too much :smile: Good luck.

Well, I suppose that they might matter in assessing whether you just had a bad stream of exams at AS level or whether you're not academically strong enough. However, the message I've received on several fronts (and I don't mean TSR, I would take everything on here with a bucket-load of salt, including what I'm saying) is that GCSEs are barely noted compared to AS levels and predictions. That being said I sensed, personally anyway, that interviewees were treat in an egalitarian sense, more or less. Take this with a lot of salt. I'm not trying to report facts to you, it's merely my opinion and TSR is full of ****, so be weary of it! :P
Reply 109
Original post by Lyam
Well, I suppose that they might matter in assessing whether you just had a bad stream of exams at AS level or whether you're not academically strong enough. However, the message I've received on several fronts (and I don't mean TSR, I would take everything on here with a bucket-load of salt, including what I'm saying) is that GCSEs are barely noted compared to AS levels and predictions. That being said I sensed, personally anyway, that interviewees were treat in an egalitarian sense, more or less. Take this with a lot of salt. I'm not trying to report facts to you, it's merely my opinion and TSR is full of ****, so be weary of it! :P

Alright, I don't really know about it, so that's possible, of course. :smile: I'm an international student anyway, so I have no idea how they deal with English grades. I do think they could influence the applications positively, though.
They do give you a score based on your GCSE results, 1 point per A* and 0.6 per A. How heavily this score is weighted in the overall decision I couldn't tell you.

(I found this on the admissions website somewhere a year ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
They do give you a score based on your GCSE results, 1 point per A* and 0.6 per A. How heavily this score is weighted in the overall decision I couldn't tell you.

(I found this on the admissions website somewhere a year ago)

There is a section on assessment of GCSE scores just here (2.6.4).
Reply 112
Original post by Beryl p

I got the same AS marks as you and I got an offer and just finished my first term here! It definitely doesn't weigh solely on any particular factor, but a combination of all of them. So long as you gave it your best at interview, there's no reason why you won't be a serious contender for a place :smile: Good luck!
Reply 113
Does anyone know when Cambridge sends out decisions? Last year it was January 4th or thereabouts, any news about this year's letters?
Original post by libsen
Does anyone know when Cambridge sends out decisions? Last year it was January 4th or thereabouts, any news about this year's letters?

Why jinx yourself by asking this question in the rejections thread? My dear, you definitely don't want to be asking us.

And I suspect it'll be around the same time this year as last. For some reason I keep thinking January 7 - whether I'm pulling this date from thin air or I read it somewhere and can't remember that I have is the question of the hour.
Reply 115
Original post by libsen

January 5th, but as previously noted, this isn't the place to ask is it?
Just to answer previous questions on GCSE performance importance, from what I was told from various colleges in visiting them is that they tend to be useful where AS results/A2 predicted aren't quite as good as they may expect. There's a worrying trend of schools giving people just automatic 4 A* predicted so GCSEs tend to be more important.

In my case where I'd already completed my A-Levels, they said that my GCSEs would matter far less
Reply 117
As a rejectee from the other side, I have to send you some commiserations as well. It isn't pleasant to receive a rejection, especially prior to interviews - this partially led to my temporary self-esteem, but upon receiving an offer from York it improved :smile: So don't give up your hopes - I know how it feels when you're kicked out, you tend to think, "I am damn bad and probably won't get anywhere else", but you just have to bear in mind that Cambridge is just a uni with certain requirements - the fact you don't meet them doesn't mean you are any worse than offer-holders!

So enjoy your Christmas holidays and don't worry too much, it shortens life actually :wink:
Reply 118
Original post by triste91
I got the same AS marks as you and I got an offer and just finished my first term here! It definitely doesn't weigh solely on any particular factor, but a combination of all of them. So long as you gave it your best at interview, there's no reason why you won't be a serious contender for a place :smile: Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's positive comments. And thanks triste91, it's good to know I'm not the only one without straight A's who dared to dream of a place at Cambridge and even better knowing they actually made it! Oh well there's nothing more I can do except wait to find out with everyone else - I feel honoured at just being selected for interview!
Original post by yahyahyah
AND I'M AT JOHN'S BITCHESSSSSS

don't worry, i'm here all week folks.

but that's it, because then i really have to do some revision.

you'll grow to love me.

What are you reading at Johns? I want to apply there in the near future!! What is it like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending