The Student Room Group

rejected but relieved

Hey,
I never thought I'd be saying this but I got rejected from Cambridge yesterday, and I could not be happier about it. I got the dreaded email in lesson yesterday, and thought I would find it hard to compose myself. I was tbf a bit annoyed and wondering what I did wrong. I thought I would be a wreck as soon as I got home, but weirdly enough I'm really happy?

Heres a few reasons: Cambridge tutorials seems dreadful, its far too academic and after a levels as much as I want to be involved in academics I kind of want to start off my adulthood not hating life, Cambridge is not a nice area, like it's just not lets face it, I was dreading the offer I would have to make if I were accepted, but now the absolute max I have to achieve is 4As which is very doable. I can really have fun in university and experience the "uni" lifestyle. No stress over accomodation (I heard thats one of the worst aspects of Oxbridge), finally my whole life doesn't revolve around academics (I kind of talked about this before). Don't get me wrong I am an academic person and I do enjoy learning but I don't live for it and I am sure whatever university I enter I will get just the right balance of academia and social life. I have seen the people sure to get an offer, and I am not similar to them in any way. I just happened to be a person who gets good grades but I am not oxbridge material truthfully (this is not to say oxbridge people are nerds but they have an interesting passion for their fields that I simply dont)

To anyone who managed to get an interview, honestly well done you did amazing and I could not be prouder, and I really hope you smash your interview, but to anyone who didn't, think of all the positives as we were still clever enough to be able to apply so our skills will come in handy in whatever amazing university gives us an offer. It would have been nice to atleast get a chance don't get me wrong, and I might try in post grad when I am older and wiser, but for now I am completely content with this knowledge, and just excited for the next phase in my life after A Levels. If you are devastated over a rejection I am here to talk and listen just reply to this and vent to me, but we truly tried our best and if we just happened to not be chosen, thats okay :smile:
Which degree subject did you apply for?

Which college did you apply to?

Why do you think you got rejected?

Perhaps you could re-apply next year with A stars in your A-Levels?
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Which degree subject did you apply for?

Which college did you apply to?

Why do you think you got rejected?

Perhaps you could re-apply next year with A stars in your A-Levels?

I applied for natural sciences at Clare. If anything It'd either be my personal statement (idk why I feel it wasnt the strongest in hindnight) or my NSAA (didn't check result no point anyhow). I'm really not dissapointed or anything as an immigrant in the UK truthfully any university is a top one and I have a couple of offers from top 10 unis already! The only reason I would reapply is if I couldn't talk my way out of international fees which is proving to be a problem with my unis right now, so I'd take a gap year anyhow to sort it out. Cambridge isn't my ride or die though and I don't think I would ever consider reapplying JUST for Cambridge since I couldn't get in with my predicted grades which were all A*s, so the only thing that could really change is my personal statement which doesn't gurantee anything. Im assuming you're a current applicant?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied for natural sciences at Clare. If anything It'd either be my personal statement (idk why I feel it wasnt the strongest in hindnight) or my NSAA (didn't check result no point anyhow). I'm really not dissapointed or anything as an immigrant in the UK truthfully any university is a top one and I have a couple of offers from top 10 unis already! The only reason I would reapply is if I couldn't talk my way out of international fees which is proving to be a problem with my unis right now, so I'd take a gap year anyhow to sort it out. Cambridge isn't my ride or die though and I don't think I would ever consider reapplying JUST for Cambridge since I couldn't get in with my predicted grades which were all A*s, so the only thing that could really change is my personal statement which doesn't gurantee anything. Im assuming you're a current applicant?

No wonder you got rejected, since Clare College was massively oversubscribed and your NSAA was not as strong as other applicants. ☹️

Because you don't qualify for "Home" status fees, you could give it another shot next year when you have the "Home" status surely?

Which other universities did you receive offers from for Natural Sciences?
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
No wonder you got rejected, since Clare College was massively oversubscribed and your NSAA was not as strong as other applicants. ☹️

Because you don't qualify for "Home" status fees, you could give it another shot next year when you have the "Home" status surely?

Which other universities did you receive offers from for Natural Sciences?

Oh well, I hope who did manage to get in enjoy that college, guess I wasnt as deserving as them. With Cambridge it's more about cheating the system and applying to less popular colleges which would be the only way to increase your chances. I didn't make a right choice and I can live with that honestly. Its okay. I got offers so far from Durham and Lancaster so not too shabby. I'm pretty excited to go to Durham honestly I feel like it's quite a decent uni
Oh well, I hope who did manage to get in enjoy that college, guess I wasnt as deserving as them. With Cambridge it's more about cheating the system and applying to less popular colleges which would be the only way to increase your chances. I didn't make a right choice and I can live with that honestly. Its okay. I got offers so far from Durham and Lancaster so not too shabby. I'm pretty excited to go to Durham honestly I feel like it's quite a decent uni

Firm = Durham!!! 😀 Well done!!! 😉
Hey,
I never thought I'd be saying this but I got rejected from Cambridge yesterday, and I could not be happier about it. I got the dreaded email in lesson yesterday, and thought I would find it hard to compose myself. I was tbf a bit annoyed and wondering what I did wrong. I thought I would be a wreck as soon as I got home, but weirdly enough I'm really happy?

Heres a few reasons: Cambridge tutorials seems dreadful, its far too academic and after a levels as much as I want to be involved in academics I kind of want to start off my adulthood not hating life, Cambridge is not a nice area, like it's just not lets face it, I was dreading the offer I would have to make if I were accepted, but now the absolute max I have to achieve is 4As which is very doable. I can really have fun in university and experience the "uni" lifestyle. No stress over accomodation (I heard thats one of the worst aspects of Oxbridge), finally my whole life doesn't revolve around academics (I kind of talked about this before). Don't get me wrong I am an academic person and I do enjoy learning but I don't live for it and I am sure whatever university I enter I will get just the right balance of academia and social life. I have seen the people sure to get an offer, and I am not similar to them in any way. I just happened to be a person who gets good grades but I am not oxbridge material truthfully (this is not to say oxbridge people are nerds but they have an interesting passion for their fields that I simply dont)

To anyone who managed to get an interview, honestly well done you did amazing and I could not be prouder, and I really hope you smash your interview, but to anyone who didn't, think of all the positives as we were still clever enough to be able to apply so our skills will come in handy in whatever amazing university gives us an offer. It would have been nice to atleast get a chance don't get me wrong, and I might try in post grad when I am older and wiser, but for now I am completely content with this knowledge, and just excited for the next phase in my life after A Levels. If you are devastated over a rejection I am here to talk and listen just reply to this and vent to me, but we truly tried our best and if we just happened to not be chosen, thats okay :smile:

This isn't a reply for you but for anyone who did get an offer who is reading this and is becoming worried. If you're personally satisfied with rejection then you may not want to read this.

Cambridge tutorials, or supervisions as we call them, aren't actually that bad at all. I'd say asking a question in a supervision is far easier than in a larger class like at school. They're pretty chill and supervisors are normally quite understanding.

Cambridge city centre is a lovely area. It's full of beautiful historic buildings and it's very walkable. Also there is way more green space in the city centre than you'd expect of a city this size.

You can have fun at Cambridge. The idea that it's just study every waking hour is a misconception. I've actually just come from a Bridgemas (Cambridge Christmas) formal. I never feel like I've missed out on the 'uni experience' and a 'Cambridge experience' is something I feel many others do miss out on.

Accommodation is really easy at Cambridge, assuming you're living in college. There is no private landlords to worry about and, as an undergrad, you typically have accommodation guaranteed for three or four years of your degree and sometimes even more. You can switch rooms if you have a good reason to and utilities and even cleaners are all included in your rent which comes as part of your college bill each term. Admittedly the private renting market is not great as far as I've heard but I literally do not know of a single undergrad who rents privately.

You can have a balance between a good social life and academics, it's not all or nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending