The Student Room Group

Changing bed sheets??

Rights...well I've been having this discussion with vareous friends and family for a long time now...

How often do you change bedsheets??

I do mine once a week, ever week without fail. I also have mattress/pillow protectors, which go under the sheets, and these are washed every two weeks.

I presonally think it's absolutley disgusting when people leave theirs for upto a month. Two weeks is maybe still bearable, but not for me.

According to syrveys, in the UK, on average, 1 in 3 people change their bed linen only once ever 3 months! Gag, chuck.

I though it was pretty self explanatory why it needs to be done regularly? We wash clothing after one [max two] wears. But we sleep in our bed for upto 8hours a night, during which time you sweat quite considerable (according to research the average persons mattress soaks up 40litres of sweat every year).

So what are your views??

Scroll to see replies

monthly or before i leave to go on holiday or a long trip, i love the feeling of clean sheets in my own bed after 2 weeks holiday
Reply 2
I wash my bedding every week at the minute apart from my duvet cover which I wash every month (probably too long in your eyes but still). But whether this will change when I go to uni I don't know. It's not like you can just nip downstairs in your own house and shove it in a washing machine and just leave it. (well thats the impression that I get but it might actually be different at uni, actually please tell me if it is so that I know for when I go to uni).
Reply 3
Erm, I barely sweat at night, if you sweat that much maybe you should open a window or turn off your heating or something :lolwut:

I change mine every 2-3 weeks. At home, once a month but that's because I sleep at my dads half the week, mums half the week, so using each bed half as much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Once a week without fail; pillow cases, duvet covers and mattress covers. I just don't like the idea of them being dirty.
two weeks for me..though I change my pillowcase every other day...
Reply 6
Well...I'm at uni, and live in a house with 4 lads.
I still manage to do mine every week - even though we have limited drying space and only once washing machine.

Lucky for me but the lads I'm with are all pretty clean - even the worst offender does his every 2 or 3 weeks.

I think it might be a little ocd streak in me, but its just one of those things I can't deal with. Eww.

According tot he guardian - if you change your sheets only once every three months - 10% of your pillowcase weight is bacteria, mites and dead skin.
is every morning too much? I have my maid do it for me.

I only kid. Every 2 weeks bed sheets are changed.
At home once a week

At uni around every 3 weeks (or if I have someone coming to visit who is going to share my bed)
Reply 9
Every 1-2 weeks. I'm hardly ever in my bed so it doesn't bother me if I leave it a little bit longer.
Reply 10
Original post by Phobia27
Erm, I barely sweat at night, if you sweat that much maybe you should open a window or turn off your heating or something :lolwut:

I change mine every 2-3 weeks. At home, once a month but that's because I sleep at my dads half the week, mums half the week, so using each bed half as much.

I never said that I sweat that much - it's how much people on average sweat.

And you may think you don't sweat, but we all do.

At the end of a long day, I take my clothes off and they still smell of clean washingpowder but it doesn't mean I put them back in the cupboard.
Reply 11
I left mine for over 6 months before :teehee: I don't know, I washed them & didn't notice any difference so meh :indiff: It doesn't really bother me to be honest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by OrangeSocks
Every 1-2 weeks. I'm hardly ever in my bed so it doesn't bother me if I leave it a little bit longer.

haha. yeah. That's understandable.
To be fair ,I could probably leave mine for two weeks as I'm hardly ever home.
But I do actually think I have ocd concerning bedding, hence it's done every week religiousley D;
Reply 13
Original post by ArcaneAnna
At the end of a long day, I take my clothes off and they still smell of clean washingpowder but it doesn't mean I put them back in the cupboard.

Why not? If something smells clean, and doesn't have noticeable dirt on it how is it any different from something straight out of the wash? It's like people throwing away food that's just gone out of date: it may well taste absolutely fine but because it's out of date it's got to go! :facepalm2:
Reply 14
I don't actually know :s-smilie: Sometimes it could be left over a month before I can be bothered changing it. It doesn't really bother me much. Plus, I have a top bunk which is a pain in the butt for changing :mad:
Every fortnight at home.

At uni, less often - 3 weeks, occasionally a month (for instance during exams, but I spent very little time in my bed then anyway!). Didn't fancy paying £2.80 every two weeks to do the bedsheets, on top of the rest of my laundry.

I did consider getting another set of bedclothes, but just changing them would mean I had a heap of dirty bedclothes that wouldn't fit in my laundry basket, so I'd still have to do the washing every time I changed the bed.

The towel on my bed (don't ask, it's a peculiar habit of mine, I already know I'm an oddball) gets changed every week, though.
I always do mine every week, at home and at uni... I can't imagine leaving them for 3 months, ewww!

I love climbing in to bed with clean sheets :smile:
Usually once a week, although I haven't done them this week because I've been too busy... don't judge me :p:
Reply 18
like once a year. got a few cum stains on them at the moment too lol
Reply 19
Nyah, whenever I remember when single. Weekly if I have a girlfriend, usually.

As for the clothes thing, who washes clothes after only one wear? Thats ridiculous and bad for them, to be honest. I will wear the same trousers for a week and the same tops for usually half a week. They never smell and only get washed more often if they get dirt on them.

You're strange, OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending