The Student Room Group

List of items for freshers

I need to know what items we need to bring , for the room and kitchen in non caterers accommodation off campus. Room items are pretty obvious , however what is supplied in the communal kitchen?
Original post by Anonymous
I need to know what items we need to bring , for the room and kitchen in non caterers accommodation off campus. Room items are pretty obvious , however what is supplied in the communal kitchen?

Hey there,

I had a lot of equipment supplied in the communal kitchen. You should have a kettle, toaster, hoover, iron desk, iron itself. However, everything else you will need to provide for yourself. I would advise you to buy some plates, a pan, a frying pan, some forks and spoons, a few cups and a few plastic boxes for food.

My first flat I lived in even had a waffle-making machine :biggrin:

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

- Ilya
Second year Cyber Security student
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there,

I had a lot of equipment supplied in the communal kitchen. You should have a kettle, toaster, hoover, iron desk, iron itself. However, everything else you will need to provide for yourself. I would advise you to buy some plates, a pan, a frying pan, some forks and spoons, a few cups and a few plastic boxes for food.

My first flat I lived in even had a waffle-making machine :biggrin:

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

- Ilya
Second year Cyber Security student

Thank you! So that is the kitchen stuff which makes sense… what about room.
assuming bed linen etc, hangers, personal stuff - anything I may not necessarily think about??
Reply 3
Thank you! So that is the kitchen stuff sense… what about room.
assuming bed linen etc, hangers, personal stuff - anything I may not necessarily think about??

my accommodation doesn’t supply a toaster or a kettle
Reply 5
if the kitchen is being shared it only needs one of each electrical item? How does that work?
You can pull together and chip in OR usually someone brings one with them and are happy to share!

Usually these are provided though so it's worth checking with your Uni as even bedding changes per uni but usually expect to have to take everything with you. Bedroom wise, mine didn't have a great bin so I got a decent small one to save trips to the kitchen!

Anon,

Items provided for student kitchens can vary, so it might be an idea to check with your accommodation to see what they provide.

Anything they don't provide you can buy with your housemates ( but think about whether it would be better in the long term to have your own e.g. a blender and who will get the kitchen equipment at the end of the year). You can also buy when you get up there or you can see if one your housemates has brought that kitchen item along and are happy for you and the other housemates to use it.

In terms of your room, depending on your lighting and where your desk is positioned, you might like to bring a table lamp, (if it is light) otherwise you might like to get one if necessary, when you get to university.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi!

As said above I would ask the uni what is supplied in the kitchen. But really I would wait until you meet your flatmates and you can all put in for any big items that aren't supplied ie a kettle. You don't want to turn up to uni with a kettle and toaster and see three other sets waiting for you :smile:

I'd just bring the basics:
- A saucepan
- A frying pan
- Spatula
- Colander (unless your good at using a pan lid as a colander)
- Cheese grater
- Can opener
- Knife
- Cutlery
- 2x Bowls
- 2x Plates
- Chopping board
- Mugs
- Cups (I have re-usable plastic ones which are great as they can't get broken)
- Tea-towels
- Oven tray

I think that's pretty much everything I took. And it's not the end of the world if you get up there and you've forgotten something small, you can always go shopping :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hello there!

I'm overjoyed that you're preparing for your off-campus trip! It's fantastic that you're looking ahead and planning for what you'll need. You'll need to carry most of your kitchen supplies to a non-catered off-campus lodging because they may not be given, as they are in on-campus living.

Here are some key items to consider bringing to the shared kitchen. Pots, pans, and cooking tools (spatula, ladle, and so forth) are frequently not given. Forks, knives, spoons, plates, bowls, and glasses will almost certainly be required. If you intend to bake or roast, bring baking sheets and oven-safe dishes. Microwaves, toasters, and kettles can all be quite useful. For storing leftovers, use Tupperware or plastic containers.

To keep the kitchen clean, keep dish soap, sponges, dish towels, and trash bags on hand. Salt, pepper, cooking oil, and any other condiments or spices that you use on a regular basis. If you have certain dietary restrictions or enjoy creating certain recipes, don't forget to include any speciality items or ingredients. Dish Rack and Drying Mat are useful for drying dishes after they have been washed. Reusable Shopping Bags are handy for transporting groceries from the supermarket.

Coordination with potential roommates, if any, is a good idea to avoid having duplicates of items like pots and pans. Remember, you may always begin with the necessities and gradually add more goods as you settle in and determine what you require.

I wish you the best of luck with your new off-campus housing adventure! Feel free to ask any further questions or seek advice.

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending