The Student Room Group

Changing bed sheets??

Scroll to see replies

I never wash clothing after one wear if it's clean.
Obviously if I've been working out in it/dancing or something I'll wash it, but I generally just laze about. What a waste, totally ruins your clothes washing them that often.

I change my sheets once a month, I hardly ever sleep in my own bed though, and it's freaking massive. It's not possible to change it myself. If it was a wee single bed I would change it more often, but nope.

Yukky me...
At university, I tend to do it 4 times a term [10 weeks] as it is a right pain to get it washed and dry again, not least because I live on the top floor of a building with no lift and the launderette is a 5 minute walk away lol. I love the first night in a bed with fresh sheets though, for sure. :smile:
I don't change them much which is probably rank. When I had a boyfriend I changed them more frequently for obvious reasons :teehee: We just dont have the space to dry them, plus it's a lot of effort for something only I'm sleeping in. I wash myself every day, in the monring, so I wash off any grub I've picked up in the night...
But then I'll wear clothes [not pants, I'm good about those] more than once or twice. I generally go by the does it smell/can you see dirt on it rule, though clothes sometimes lose their shape in which case theyll get a wash. You don't want to know how long my jeans go without a wash...
Every 2-3 weeks. As I go home most weekends, and it takes so much effort to make up a large double bed, it just doesn't seem worth it to do it every week IMO.
Reply 24
When I do my weekly laundry. I change the sheets weekly anyway.
Once a fortnight because I never have any change for the washing machines. :p: At home it was more like once a month but it was a double bed and I'm quite little, the duvet was too heavy to shake, whereas at uni I have a single bed so it's easier. :h: I love getting into a freshly made bed. :love:
Reply 26
Original post by Ewan
Why not? If something smells clean, and doesn't have noticeable dirt on it how is it any different from something straight out of the wash? It's like people throwing away food that's just gone out of date: it may well taste absolutely fine but because it's out of date it's got to go! :facepalm2:

It's just .... clothings in constant contact with your body, for a canny few hours a day. And dirt is the cause for spots and other such topical problems/irritations. I'm quite happy changing tops everyday, no matter how clean they are, in order to avoid back acne and etcetera.

Obviousley, it's not a major contributor to such problems - so don't go shouting at me that it doesn't happen to you, but it can increase the risks of it [just like smoking and cancer].

It's hard to explain how my mind processes the thought of dirty laundry against my skin - it's just off putting. ;/
Reply 27
Every 2-3 days.
Reply 28
Original post by ArcaneAnna
It's just .... clothings in constant contact with your body, for a canny few hours a day. And dirt is the cause for spots and other such topical problems/irritations. I'm quite happy changing tops everyday, no matter how clean they are, in order to avoid back acne and etcetera.

Obviousley, it's not a major contributor to such problems - so don't go shouting at me that it doesn't happen to you, but it can increase the risks of it [just like smoking and cancer].

It's hard to explain how my mind processes the thought of dirty laundry against my skin - it's just off putting. ;/

But I don't get spots on my back.... :teehee: I think you're just a bit OCD. Which is fine, my flatmate is too, his sheets get cleaned every week religiously :p: He's always cleaning the flat too, although I tell him not to bother :indiff:
Reply 29
Once every 12 months
Original post by ArcaneAnna
According to research the average persons mattress soaks up 40litres of sweat every year.

Thats saying that per night someone would sweat over 0.1 of a litre. Either the people in the survey 'wet the bed' or they're just so fat they're constantly sweating even with virtually no activity in which case I'd hate to see them even when they're just walking around.
Reply 31
Original post by Ewan
But I don't get spots on my back.... :teehee: I think you're just a bit OCD. Which is fine, my flatmate is too, his sheets get cleaned every week religiously :p: He's always cleaning the flat too, although I tell him not to bother :indiff:

Most probably you're right there.
I'm also funny about the kitchen being clean. I've managed to train up the lads I live with very well, so they're now keeping up with the cleanlyness.

I can deal with mess, and I'm really messy myself. It's just it's gotta be hygienic.
Reply 32
Original post by Freerider101
Thats saying that per night someone would sweat over 0.1 of a litre. Either the people in the survey 'wet the bed' or they're just so fat they're constantly sweating even with virtually no activity in which case I'd hate to see them even when they're just walking around.

Well..don't forget a large number of people will share their beds with someone. Plus the sex...and other such activities.
Reply 33
i change mine every 3-4 weeks. i didnt know people changed their sheets so frequently! i thought i was normal...guess not :s-smilie:
Regarding the clothes thing: I wear my school uniform all week before putting it in the wash. :|
I change my shirt every 2/3 days and my same for tights but everything else I've worn for 5 days without washing (unless I spill something on it, for instance paint as I did today and now it's in the wash :rolleyes:).

And I do a general clothes wash every week, usually on sundays, and just put everything I've worn that week in the wash.
Reply 35
Ideally every week.
At home that tends to be every second week.
At uni that translates to every third week on the basis of my constantly having my window open so I don't sweat much at all.
Usually, every week. I don't mind leaving it for a fortnight though...
Every day, and I only wear each set of clothing once.
Every week
Reply 39
At university, the first time I changed them was after 2 months and only because I spilt beer on the bed...

It's just so much effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending