The Student Room Group

worst type of bully - physical, verbal or passive aggressive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DOA
but you ignored the most important part if my post, If you are forced to be around them. The not invite thing is fine to say their birthday but its not fine when they start trying to get you uninvited from event which neither of you has any more rights than the other to go. Mine was in my group of friends so if I got away from him I lost my friends so how would you deal with that?

Even if you are forced to be around them (even though your never really forced to be around anyone) then you still don't have to speak to them. There is a guy who is rude to everyone in my group of friends, I don't mind him because I know he is only joking but just doesn't know when to stop. He has no other friends so continues to hang around with us even though everbody except me has declared they don't like him. They are nasty to him whenever he is around and exclude him, the big one being when they refused to come on holiday if he was invited. This is not bullying though.

There are actually very few people who are nasty to people when the person is trying to nice to them and there are very few people who like a person who is nasty to people for no reason. Therefore, it is extremely rare for someone who is being nasty to someone for no reason to get the backing of everybody else, which is what they will need to exclude people from events and whatever. In your case I can't really see how you could have done nothing wrong because the 'bully' has to get the support of the rest of your friends and if they really were friends and you hadn't done anything to upset them then they wouldn't support the bully.
Reply 81
Original post by Axtrate
Emotional bullying, after the damage is done, leads to an incredibly strong persona though, abilities to sympathise with people on a much deeper level, understand situations in greater detail etc. Or that was the case with me.

But then again, I can imagine it works both ways, where it leaves some to be timid and nervous people.

Have you found any of your long lost bullies on Facebook? It's a lovely experience.

I agree with that, as I was also in an abusive relationship, and that combined with the bullying has made me the person I am now. Now, I don't let anyone take advantage or walk all over me, and I genuinely don't care if people don't like me. I'm much more determined and stuff. :biggrin:

Haha, yes, I love laughing at them every so often! Childish but so funny. :tongue:
Reply 82
Original post by FaraxZeroIncome
Each time I read your comments, I think you are a posh ****.

Why? You don't even know me.

And no, I didn't neg you.
Original post by .Ali.
Both forms of passive agressive bullying. I've experienced all four, constantly for three years, because some stupid common pricks thought I spoke like a "posh ****". You've got to love chavs eh...
If your posts on here are anything to go by, I am not surprised you were bullied. Probably in defence of your arrogance.
I'd say physical/verbal is worse for young people like school children and strangely enough verbal is probably worse than typical physical bullying. The guy at my school who was the token get bullied kid ended up as a tough and strong guy due to people picking on him and getting into fights where as verbal bullying especially regarding peoples appearances can resonate deeply. It's worse for young people because that's the time they're discovering sexuality, being put into groups, have heightened self consciousness etc and for that reason I'd say verbal bullying along with passive aggressive B is the worse.

Obviously they are all horrible but I feel verbal has the most potent short and long term impact for an individual or at least young people who seem to have the biggest group for bullying victims (feel free to correct me here). I'd hate to be the victim of a passive aggressive B. Not only are you getting bullied but the people who are supposed to help you are siding with your tormentor... enough to drive anybody insane.
Original post by .Ali.
Why? You don't even know me.

And no, I didn't neg you.

Whatever, suck my dick.
I found verbal to be damaging, as its left me with severe mental health problems as a result. In some ways i wish they'd just beaten me up and be done with it.
Reply 87
Original post by FaraxZeroIncome
Whatever, suck my dick.

Well that's an intelligent response.
Anyone arguing that one is inherently worse than the other is being a retard.

Which is what people on TSR do... So, whatever.
Original post by .Ali.
Well that's an intelligent response.

Well suck it..
It can be very hard to pin down if you're a victim of passive A or verbal especially if your partner (or whoever) tells you that it's your problem 'you're too sensitive etc'. So in that way it can be worse than physical because how do you tell me people and make them understand?

Being repeatedly called an idiot or moron, or having someone degrade you for your beliefs, interests etc is not something you can call the police for but it wears you down emotionally.

Also someone may not leave a physical mark but holding someone down, slapping or threatening to head butt someone...well that's scary let me tell you. So the threat of physical violence is very damaging.....I read a great thing that said it's abuse when you tell someone to stop & they don't.

I'm not at all suggesting physical abuse isn't horrendous but I think it needs to be acknowledged how awful passive A is, you end up feeling like a totally incapable person.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 91
The worst I think is either Passive A or verbal. There's nothing worse when someone insults you and you know it's true and there iss nothing you can do about it. I'd prefer to be punched in the face several times than be a victim of verbal bullying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending