The Student Room Group

Any advice on what to do about a nightmare neighbour?

I live in student halls (not owned by my college) and I’ve been having problems with a neighbour. My flat consists of 5 bedrooms and a shared kitchen, all 4 of the other girls in the flat, including myself, are sick of this girl. She’s Italian and doesn’t speak English, so if we need to talk to her about something or mention anything, we leave little notes in the kitchen for her. (these notes aren’t rude or passive aggressive at all, just something like “please remember to turn the heater off :smile: )

She moved in later than the rest of us (4 of us in August and her in December) and we had a problem with her smoking weed. None of us really care if or what she smokes, we just had a problem as the smell was getting into our rooms and both of the people beside her have medical conditions that could be worsened by it, but that was resolved and she now goes outside to smoke. She’s also EXTREMELY loud. Whether she’s with her boyfriend, blasting music, or ok FaceTime she never seems to shut up.

We’ve asked her directly to try to be more quiet, but every time we ask her to do something, she takes it personally and sees it as bullying. We spoke to the landlord, who pretty much told us we need to suck it up as that’s what living in student halls is like. I understand some noise every now and again, but having to hear her awful music or shouting all day every day is just way too much, especially considering she’s been made aware that both of the people either side of her are autistic and sensitive to sound. I once went to her door to ask her to at least turn her music down as it was 7 in the morning and I was trying to sleep, and all I got was a look up and down and a door slammed in my face.

She doesn’t clean up after herself in the kitchen and leaves all the heaters on too. We’ve brought this up to her and again, she takes it as a personal attack. All 4 of us have spoken about this with each other and with the landlord who tried to figure out why we had such a problem. We don’t care enough about the girl to bully her or be mean, we have no reason to do that as we’re all busy with college and fully grown adults, we just want her to clean up after herself and shut up.

Whenever we ask her to do something, be it to turn off the heaters in the kitchen every once in a while and put her dishes away (that‘s literally all we’ve asked her to do), she retaliates by making as much noise as she can.

She’s had at least 10 complaints made about her since January and it’s gotten to the point where the landlord and building staff have stopped responding to us completely. They believe we’re acting childish about the whole thing. I can understand if it was occasional, but this is every single day. We’ve also gone and spoken to the landlord and building staff in person, and still nothing has been done.

I’m really at a loss of what to do, the best thing I’ve done is get some noise cancelling headphones. Any advice would really be appreciated :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending