The Student Room Group

What to do

Planning and getting your instructions across at work is what’s required for success. My line manager yesterday told me to do delivery goods of drinks this entire week I’ve been ill and if I wanted to I could have called in sick but I didn’t want to let down the team or management so I came in each shift completing my shift to the best of my ability and what I could give. How does my line manager think it’s appropriate to pair me with another line manager who I’ve kicked off with several times, makes me feel uneasy and intimidated by him and a workplace bully to complete it without telling me, and whether I was comfortable with it or not and whether I needed his help or not.

And then that line manager calls me slow sarcastically and using me being ill as a vulnerability or generally meant it when I’m not as I’m a consistent hard worker leaving the place with purple bruises to the bones and aches and pains and hurting myself whilst on the job to do as much as I can.

This just has taken a toll on me mentally and what manager is critical of a colleague in that manner but can’t pass feedback more positively and why do I need to adapt to his method of work which is put everything out on the floor cut it open and get on with it and then another and then another delivery board of goods. With several colleagues just getting away with this and I visually have seen naming examples of colleagues that define slow.

What are jobs that can easily be obtained because I want to leave this place.
Reply 1
Have you formally reported all the issues you've been having?
Original post by Surnia
Have you formally reported all the issues you've been having?

Yeah I spoke to the previous store manager and many managers about him as well as other colleagues they say to keep your head down and get on with it. But I know my worth and value as a colleague I for one ain’t his slave or pet dog or how he can freely have the ability to say that… I don’t know what to do anymore, he gives off a bad form of energy and vibe.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
What do I do I heard he’s running tonight shift and I am not looking forward to it.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 4
What do you want to happen? What do you think your company should do?
Reply 5
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Yeah I spoke to the previous store manager and many managers about him as well as other colleagues they say to keep your head down and get on with it. But I know my worth and value as a colleague I for one ain’t his slave or pet dog or how he can freely have the ability to say that… I don’t know what to do anymore, he gives off a bad form of energy and vibe.

So have you reported it to this manager and your HR?
Original post by Surnia
So have you reported it to this manager and your HR?

If you don’t mind me asking what will HR take as part of action
Reply 7
If you don’t mind me asking what will HR take as part of action

There's a process to be followed when situations like this are reported, and HR is there to be involved and investigate, mediate etc. They're neutral and away from your direct management chain.
Original post by Surnia
There's a process to be followed when situations like this are reported, and HR is there to be involved and investigate, mediate etc. They're neutral and away from your direct management chain.

This manager been made aware we spoke about it in the past I’m yet to tell HR though although there’s no direct email or contact to their HR I tried before for pay-related queries.
Reply 9
This manager been made aware we spoke about it in the past I’m yet to tell HR though although there’s no direct email or contact to their HR I tried before for pay-related queries.

Spoke, but there's no formal record. That's why you get it down in writing and copied to more than just your manager.
Original post by Surnia
Spoke, but there's no formal record. That's why you get it down in writing and copied to more than just your manager.

Knowing the previous store manager she was never going to do that though
Reply 11
Most large companies will have a HR policy to deal with employee grievances and complaints. Find yours.
Reply 12
Knowing the previous store manager she was never going to do that though

Do what?

You record the facts of your circumstances, copy to your manager and HR, get it discussed, get the outcome of meetings in writing and see if things change in line with what was agreed. Don't be passive and don't rely on solely verbal communication.
Original post by Surnia
Do what?
You record the facts of your circumstances, copy to your manager and HR, get it discussed, get the outcome of meetings in writing and see if things change in line with what was agreed. Don't be passive and don't rely on solely verbal communication.

Best to take union rep with me in that case
Planning and getting your instructions across at work is what’s required for success. My line manager yesterday told me to do delivery goods of drinks this entire week I’ve been ill and if I wanted to I could have called in sick but I didn’t want to let down the team or management so I came in each shift completing my shift to the best of my ability and what I could give. How does my line manager think it’s appropriate to pair me with another line manager who I’ve kicked off with several times, makes me feel uneasy and intimidated by him and a workplace bully to complete it without telling me, and whether I was comfortable with it or not and whether I needed his help or not.
And then that line manager calls me slow sarcastically and using me being ill as a vulnerability or generally meant it when I’m not as I’m a consistent hard worker leaving the place with purple bruises to the bones and aches and pains and hurting myself whilst on the job to do as much as I can.
This just has taken a toll on me mentally and what manager is critical of a colleague in that manner but can’t pass feedback more positively and why do I need to adapt to his method of work which is put everything out on the floor cut it open and get on with it and then another and then another delivery board of goods. With several colleagues just getting away with this and I visually have seen naming examples of colleagues that define slow.
What are jobs that can easily be obtained because I want to leave this place.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenging situation you're facing at work. It sounds like you've been putting in a lot of effort despite being unwell, and it's disappointing that your efforts aren't being recognized or appreciated by your line manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending