The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

The Leicester University chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grape:)

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28201173]I don't know because I don't go :emo:

Basically, I like this thread to be alive so I can have a little spy... :holmes: and see what my potential university is like. :biggrin:

What course did you do?
Ahhh. Fair enough
I did archaeology. It was brilliant. I miss it :frown:
I miss the pubs on London Road and Mosh and the vintage shop the most :frown:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 641
Original post by museobsessed
Ahhh. Fair enough
I did archaeology. It was brilliant. I miss it :frown:
I miss the pubs on London Road and Mosh and the vintage shop the most :frown:

Argh it all sounds so exciting! I really want an offer for Psych. I'm glad you liked your time there! Very encouraging.

When I visited the moronic EDL were protesting there... so I didn't get a chance to see the town properly. :emo:

But yeh :smile: I can't wait until my UCAS is sent! :biggrin:
Original post by grape:)

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];28201588]Argh it all sounds so exciting! I really want an offer for Psych. I'm glad you liked your time there! Very encouraging.

When I visited the moronic EDL were protesting there... so I didn't get a chance to see the town properly. :emo:

But yeh :smile: I can't wait until my UCAS is sent! :biggrin:
My friend did psychology. She enjoyed it, so I hope you get in and enjoy it too
lol moronic is a tactful way of describing the EDL
Reply 643
My friend did psychology. She enjoyed it, so I hope you get in and enjoy it too
lol moronic is a tactful way of describing the EDL

Indeed! Considering I nearly got stampeded by them...

Anyway, I'm glad your friend enjoyed it; very encouraging! :biggrin:
Reply 644
Hi Grape and Muse :smile:

Personally I love Leicester (or rather being at university here), although my favourite parts aren't really in the actual city centre.

TBH the city centre is ok, but I've not really found anything too special there, although muse seems to have hit on a good vintage shop (where about is it, muse? The one near The Lanes? I forget what that one is called but its on the same stree at the resturant Ask and Pizza Express) It has all the usual shops and things that you find in any other city really.

There are quite a few nice museums to go to (I intend to find more this year- possibly going a little further afield but we'll see) and I've been scouting out all the little dusty second hand bookshops (one of my favourite things ever) that I can. I found one today in a lovely suburban area with all coffee shops and little quirky independant shops which was really close the the halls, unfortunetly the bookshop was closed so I'll have to make another trip back.

I'm dreading graduating as although I intend to go onto do an MA and then with a bit of luck a phD, I'll have to get a proper job next year (hopefully) and I'll just miss academia and my friends here so much.

I'm fairly certain the real world isn't for me which is why I intend to hide away behind my piles of books and stay in academia for as long as possible!
Original post by QI Elf

Original post by QI Elf

Personally I love Leicester (or rather being at university here), although my favourite parts aren't really in the actual city centre.

TBH the city centre is ok, but I've not really found anything too special there, although muse seems to have hit on a good vintage shop (where about is it, muse? The one near The Lanes? I forget what that one is called but its on the same stree at the resturant Ask and Pizza Express) It has all the usual shops and things that you find in any other city really.

There are quite a few nice museums to go to (I intend to find more this year- possibly going a little further afield but we'll see) and I've been scouting out all the little dusty second hand bookshops (one of my favourite things ever) that I can. I found one today in a lovely suburban area with all coffee shops and little quirky independant shops which was really close the the halls, unfortunetly the bookshop was closed so I'll have to make another trip back.

I'm dreading graduating as although I intend to go onto do an MA and then with a bit of luck a phD, I'll have to get a proper job next year (hopefully) and I'll just miss academia and my friends here so much.

I'm fairly certain the real world isn't for me which is why I intend to hide away behind my piles of books and stay in academia for as long as possible!

The vintage shop just off the market on Cank Street is called Dollymix vintage, though the bottom is a separate vintage shop, I think its called pink flamingo. Best shop ever.
Damn I love bookshops, but I never found any indedependant ones when I was there. Shame. If you find another one then let me know so I can visit :biggrin: The oxfam bookshop on Queens Road is awesome though.
I've found graduating and moving back home really hard. There are no jobs at the moment out there. I made a concious decision not to carry on with study (partly for financial reasons, partly because I didn't want to carry on with essays and deadlines)
Reply 646

The vintage shop just off the market on Cank Street is called Dollymix vintage, though the bottom is a separate vintage shop, I think its called pink flamingo. Best shop ever.
Damn I love bookshops, but I never found any indedependant ones when I was there. Shame. If you find another one then let me know so I can visit :biggrin: The oxfam bookshop on Queens Road is awesome though.
I've found graduating and moving back home really hard. There are no jobs at the moment out there. I made a concious decision not to carry on with study (partly for financial reasons, partly because I didn't want to carry on with essays and deadlines)

Mate, that's why I'm back here. Trying to move on from Uni is very hard, so I did decide to do a Masters. Fortunately, the parents are willing to pay again! :colondollar:
:ninja:
Reply 648
Original post by QwentyJ
Mate, that's why I'm back here. Trying to move on from Uni is very hard, so I did decide to do a Masters. Fortunately, the parents are willing to pay again! :colondollar:

I hate you this much .............................. :tongue:

I doubt my parents would happily cough up for me to do my masters. I'm trying to convince my rich, spinster of an aunt that it would be a good idea for her to pay for me to do it by dropping 'subtle' hints!!!!

There was talk of 'well you've got money if your other bank account'. The one I had no idea of its existance and still don't have any idea how much is in there. Enough to fund an MA and phD?? Fingers crossed :crossedf:
Reply 649
Original post by QI Elf

I've got a feeling I'm going to be like this. Infact, I know it :P But thanks for responding, it all seems quite positive and I can't wait to hopefully receive an offer (I have the entrance requirements already) and the admissions chap told me I had a strong chance :party: ooooo I'm just so excited!
:colondollar:
Original post by QwentyJ

Original post by QwentyJ

Yeh, I'd have to pay. My parents are able to pay off my uni fees and I will pay them back in installments (i.e I don't pay interest on the loan, its big enough as it is already) but they wouldn't pay for me for a masters. By the end of my degree i'd had it up to here *hand over head* (which granted is still not that high, but you get the picture) with essays anyway.
Trust me, job hunting is evil in the form of an activity.
You know Carla now (if you didn't before. saw you're now friends on facebook) shes one of my mates :biggrin: Are you guys doing the same MA?
Reply 651
Anyone know where we can get second hand bikes from?
Absolutely no idea. Sorry
I love the uni! City centre is a bit boring and too big. And too far away from halls. I walk into uni every day as I don't want to fork out £280 for a bus pass.

QI where was this bookshop?

Also have you been in the Hospice one that the bus goes pass on it's route? (Down the street opposite Vicky Park)
Original post by SirMasterKey

Original post by SirMasterKey
I love the uni! City centre is a bit boring and too big. And too far away from halls. I walk into uni every day as I don't want to fork out £280 for a bus pass.

QI where was this bookshop?

Also have you been in the Hospice one that the bus goes pass on it's route? (Down the street opposite Vicky Park)

city centre too big? lol! where do you come from?
I think its tiny, but then again i'm used to Birmingham so....
Question: How lenient is leicester university ? Let's say if you are one grade below your original offer ?
Original post by MissCardboardBox

Original post by MissCardboardBox
Question: How lenient is leicester university ? Let's say if you are one grade below your original offer ?

I came in through clearing and they were pretty lenient with me. Depends on how oversubscribed they are and how popular your course is in general
Original post by QI Elf

That is also my plan...I'll be doing my undergraduate for 5 years..so I might be able to stay at university till I'm 30. lol

I've not been to an open day yet, I was hoping they'd have applicant open days as they are more "useful" which is what I found out when I applied in 2008.
Reply 658
Original post by purplemooncows
That is also my plan...I'll be doing my undergraduate for 5 years..so I might be able to stay at university till I'm 30. lol

I've not been to an open day yet, I was hoping they'd have applicant open days as they are more "useful" which is what I found out when I applied in 2008.

To do what I want to do, I'll be at uni at least another 4 years after I graduate. But I suspect it will take longer than that! If only I knew how I was going to fund it- other than bribe my lovely auntie!!
Original post by QI Elf
To do what I want to do, I'll be at uni at least another 4 years after I graduate. But I suspect it will take longer than that! If only I knew how I was going to fund it- other than bribe my lovely auntie!!

Funding is an issue, but I'll just have to scrimp and save somehow I guess. lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending