The Student Room Group

(A LEVELS) How much are you planning to study in the Christmas holidays?

Scroll to see replies

i have 3 exams in jan so i have been doing 3 hours a day making revision cards for about 2 weeks but finished them yesterday so giving myself today off

tomorrow gonna do some past paper question and revision cards tests

what keeps me going is my gap year net year cant wait xxxxx
Original post by -Liam-
Barely any! My job is gonna take up most of my hols then i want the rest to relax haha, Roll on the U's!

this was quality:biggrin:
I only can revise when i delude myself into thinking that I am intelligent.
I've got two AS exams, I'll revise a fair bit but I'm not going to put my social life on hold.. i.e not going out on NYE! I'm giving myself a few days off but the majority of the holidays will be spent revising in the day, and going out in the evening :smile:
I did **** all over xmas when I was doing A-Levels. All of you who are doing 5/6 hours of revision a day are either-

1) Incredibly thick
2) Incredibly boring
3) Doing the wrong subjects
or
4) All of the above.

And hour a day, per subject, with the occasional work free days where you go outside and play with the snow or with yourself or something should be more than enough. An hour of good study where you actually critically appraise and question what you learn will do more for you in the long term as opposed to stare at a page for hours on end making a ****-load of notes that you'll never ever ever need.
Original post by FamousFourTops
OMG you guys are making me feel really bad! I don't think I've EVER revised from more than two days before each exam....
Of course, I get crappy results though :frown:

I hate you.:redface:

I'll be busting a gut all christmas to get the B's i need to get into uni, and there you are barely doing anything and getting AAA

Life is unfair :frown:
Reply 146
Original post by kbountra
Hey, have you been put in the mysterious hold category for Bristol Biochemistry?

yes, the 'hold' category!
i really can't be bothered to wait, i've got all my other offers! i don't really mind what they give me though, i want to go to durham anyway.
Original post by ollie82
yes, the 'hold' category!
i really can't be bothered to wait, i've got all my other offers! i don't really mind what they give me though, i want to go to durham anyway.

Ah ok- I've got my other 4 offers too but am still waiting on the Bristol front. Gonna be a long wait though cos they are getting back to us in late Feb so I can see why you just want to get on with it.
Reply 148
Original post by kbountra
Ah ok- I've got my other 4 offers too but am still waiting on the Bristol front. Gonna be a long wait though cos they are getting back to us in late Feb so I can see why you just want to get on with it.

yeah i mean i know that we don't have to make our decisions for ages, but i want to get it out of the way, for my peace of mind!
i'm only applying for 4 uni's cause i didn't want to go to any others, and i've got offers from the other 3. i kind of feel like they should make decisions earlier, given that i handed my application in a few days after the oxbridge deadline. which was ages ago!

well done for your offers :-)
I spent most of my lessons over the last term making good notes, and now I'm just pulling the important/tricky bits into little revision booklets for the 2 tests (of 5) that I'm not feeling too confident about. (Economics and Physics - both on the same day *gulp*)

Seriously, revising on Xmas? I understand that grades are important but there's such a thing as "too much work". Stressing yourself out will result in you panicking, and I honestly think that will pull your grade down more than not revising for hours every day. Just revise and make notes on the stuff you find tricky. Nobody should expect anything more from you. :smile:
Original post by Hippysnake
I did **** all over xmas when I was doing A-Levels. All of you who are doing 5/6 hours of revision a day are either-

1) Incredibly thick
2) Incredibly boring
3) Doing the wrong subjects
or
4) All of the above.

And hour a day, per subject, with the occasional work free days where you go outside and play with the snow or with yourself or something should be more than enough. An hour of good study where you actually critically appraise and question what you learn will do more for you in the long term as opposed to stare at a page for hours on end making a ****-load of notes that you'll never ever ever need.

I agree.

But that's the tough part for most people.
Do you have any tips on how to do that ?
Reply 151
Haven't really done much revision yet but I have one exam in January. AQA Law so I should be revising 1-2 hours a day.
Reply 152
At least an hour for each text book so 4 hours per day.

Break on Christmas Day, New Years Day and possibly Boxing Day.
(edited 13 years ago)
I have five exams from 10th-28th.. Done a bit already.. not overly lots but it's a start.
From tomorrow I plan to do five hours a day at least until exams, obviously will have some time off Christmas Day!
i'll stick to about 2 hours a day, if i plan any more than that i'll avoid doing it because the prospect of starting a 4+ hour revision period would make watching funny kittens on youtube seem much more entertaining than it otherwise would.
I haven't done as much as I wanted to do before but hopefully will start today
Original post by Harad
Same well minus the history what is it bout psychology it's just like you put time aside start to work and then you just can't ... I'm quite a lazy person but I know that it's not the laziness I just can't seem to absorb the info anyone got any amazing revision tips?

I think with psychology, a good idea is to think up your own evaluations of the theories/studies, that way you remember it better because you've actually thought about it, rather than just remembering what the book says is good/bad about it. works for me anyway
Reply 157
I'm doing 3 exams in Jan, and will be revising for 4-5 hours a day, minus Christmas day and new year's eve. I haven't actually been learning anything at college this term and have left it all until the last minute; that's why I've got to catch up now. :frown:
Reply 158
I started revising yesterday, I only have a Psychology exam in January (thank f**k) but I'm really panicking about it because my teacher didn't really go into detail in any of the topics, He basically said 'you need to revise these modules' and left us at the start of the holidays with three books full of exam questions and a few bullet points on each topic.

I revised one Key approach yesterday, but I'm going to do 2 a day (maybe 3 or 4 hours of work), so by Thursday evening I should have have finished the approaches, and I'm not going to revise on Friday as it's my birthday, and Saturday because there's no way I'm revising on Christmas day :smile: After that I'll have 3 more full modules to revise D:

I dont have a good revision technique tbh though, I basically read notes and answer the exam questions, nothing stays in my head for long. I'm trying to come up with a better revision technique. Plus my brain shuts down if I do too much work, so I'm trying not to overload myself :smile:
Original post by noniona
I'm not going to revise on Friday as it's my birthday, and Saturday because there's no way I'm revising on Christmas day :smile:

Happy birthday for Friday!!

Yeah I only have one psychology module but I have a ****load of essays to write as well which is doing my head in :/
I sit revising pretty much all day but since I do it on my computer I often end up on the internet or itunes... so don't actually get as much done as I think.

Quick Reply

Latest