The Student Room Group

Which City

I hope to go on holiday this year to see the Christmas scenery for 5 nights although I am struggling to pick between these 4 Cities, Budapest, Madrid, Prague or Salzburg please share your insights if you been to any of these cities what places would you recommend to visit especially during Christmas.
Original post by Mohammed_80
I hope to go on holiday this year to see the Christmas scenery for 5 nights although I am struggling to pick between these 4 Cities, Budapest, Madrid, Prague or Salzburg please share your insights if you been to any of these cities what places would you recommend to visit especially during Christmas.

I went to Prague back in 2019. It was the end of November i went, so only some of the Christmas markets were there. But id deffo recommend it. It was a great place to visit.
Original post by Emma:-)
I went to Prague back in 2019. It was the end of November i went, so only some of the Christmas markets were there. But id deffo recommend it. It was a great place to visit.

What’s the tourism spots and attraction like especially with the food stalls and food to offer.

It is said that Salzburg and Vienna are stunning with all the lights around the cities at christmas. Unfortunately I can't confirm it, as I have not been there at that time.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Kallisto
It is said that Salzburg and Vienna are stunning with all the lightsl around the cities at christmas. Unfortunately I can't confirm it, as I have not been there at that time.

Thanks man well I got the 1st and 2nd of December off for work so I am considering my options for a 5-8 day city break.

Try visiting plaza mayor in Madrid. It's most popular and famous Christmas market out there in Madrid.
Original post by clark_henry
Try visiting plaza mayor in Madrid. It's most popular and famous Christmas market out there in Madrid.

What’s the food like then and thanks for the brilliant suggestion :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
All four cities you've mentioned are beautiful and have their unique charm during the Christmas season.

Budapest - for grand architecture, stunning Christmas markets, and thermal baths.
Madrid - The city is adorned with festive lights, and its main squares, such as Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, host Christmas markets and events.
Prague - It's a fairy-tale destination during Christmas, with its medieval architecture and charming Christmas markets.
Salzburg - renowned for Baroque architecture and Alpine surroundings
Original post by studenttour
All four cities you've mentioned are beautiful and have their unique charm during the Christmas season.

Budapest - for grand architecture, stunning Christmas markets, and thermal baths.
Madrid - The city is adorned with festive lights, and its main squares, such as Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, host Christmas markets and events.
Prague - It's a fairy-tale destination during Christmas, with its medieval architecture and charming Christmas markets.
Salzburg - renowned for Baroque architecture and Alpine surroundings

Which one wins for you then

I have been to Prague, but it wasn't around the Christmas time, so I can't really say anything about that. But I really liked the city overall, it was really pretty. I have also been to Madrid and I liked it even more than Prague, but it wasn't during Christmas either
What’s the food like then and thanks for the brilliant suggestion :smile:

You can try tapas(it's like fried potatoes with spicy sauce) or Paella. It contains Seafood, chicken. Btw if you're into steak you can try that too.
Which one wins for you then

I like Prague more. :smile:
@Mohammed_80 and, what is up? did you already make your decision for christmas and already know which city it will be?
@Mohammed_80 and, what is up? did you already make your decision for christmas and already know which city it will be?

Not too bad man how you been looking forward to a new season of football. Probably most likely to be Prague
(edited 8 months ago)
Not too bad man how you been looking forward to a new season of football. Probably most likely to be Prague

Tell me how it is like in Prague at christmas when you come back.
Tell me how it is like in Prague at christmas when you come back.

Will do bro :smile: just like Amsterdam did you go then
Will do bro :smile: just like Amsterdam did you go then

Thought about to a have a stay or two in Amsterdam for a long time ago - and a visit in Prague. We are pretty equal in our choice. :redface:
Thought about to a have a stay or two in Amsterdam for a long time ago - and a visit in Prague. We are pretty equal in our choice. :redface:

Go for it man go visit Johan Cruyff Arena :wink:

All of those cities sound great! I’ve spent the last year studying abroad in Germany so had the opportunity to go to plenty of the Christmas Markets across Germany (Weihnachtsmarkt). Whilst I haven’t been to any of those cities during Christmas I visited Budapest during Easter break, and it was really incredible! As a city it is really accessible to students, both in terms of affordability but also opportunities to engage in the culture and other activities. For example, in Budapest I found one creative way to explore was finding Mihály Kolodko's Mini Statues that are dotted around the city. Not only did it help me see sides of the city I probably wouldn’t have otherwise explored but it was also one of the many free ways to enjoy a big city that has plenty to offer.

As for general advice for all of those places (and with any trips I’ve planned) make sure you’ve got your travel insurance sorted before the date of your departure and that if you’re planning on any day trips (to ski etc) that you get the right insurance to cover this. Signing up to travel alerts for the country you’re visiting is also a helpful way to stay in the loop for any important updates to make sure you stay safe during your travels

Here’s the link: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice?utm_medium=sba&utm_source=studentroom&utm_campaign=fcdotraveladvice&utm_content=forum

Good luck and I hope you have a great Christmas Holiday!
Original post by abibrownstark
All of those cities sound great! I’ve spent the last year studying abroad in Germany so had the opportunity to go to plenty of the Christmas Markets across Germany (Weihnachtsmarkt). Whilst I haven’t been to any of those cities during Christmas I visited Budapest during Easter break, and it was really incredible! As a city it is really accessible to students, both in terms of affordability but also opportunities to engage in the culture and other activities. For example, in Budapest I found one creative way to explore was finding Mihály Kolodko's Mini Statues that are dotted around the city. Not only did it help me see sides of the city I probably wouldn’t have otherwise explored but it was also one of the many free ways to enjoy a big city that has plenty to offer.

As for general advice for all of those places (and with any trips I’ve planned) make sure you’ve got your travel insurance sorted before the date of your departure and that if you’re planning on any day trips (to ski etc) that you get the right insurance to cover this. Signing up to travel alerts for the country you’re visiting is also a helpful way to stay in the loop for any important updates to make sure you stay safe during your travels

Here’s the link: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice?utm_medium=sba&utm_source=studentroom&utm_campaign=fcdotraveladvice&utm_content=forum

Good luck and I hope you have a great Christmas Holiday!

Thank you and thank you so much for providing the helpful links :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest