The Student Room Group

Portsmouth or Northumbria?

Just wanted to know people's opinions. I have unconditionals from both but cannot choose! I've heard Portsmouth isn't a nice place, but the course I'm going to do sounds good. (criminology) Northumbria also sounds good but is slightly further away!

I'm intending on visiting both in the next few months but just wanted some advise/experiences/anything really :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by emilyjm91
Just wanted to know people's opinions. I have unconditionals from both but cannot choose! I've heard Portsmouth isn't a nice place, but the course I'm going to do sounds good. (criminology) Northumbria also sounds good but is slightly further away!

I'm intending on visiting both in the next few months but just wanted some advise/experiences/anything really :smile:

Northumbria in my honest opinion.
First, you are at Newcastle.
Second, I believe Northumbria to have a better reputation as a university than Portsmouth.
Third, Northumbria I see as constantly improving university.

The modern buildings are really cool.
Reply 2
Original post by SPMS
Northumbria in my honest opinion.
First, you are at Newcastle.
Second, I believe Northumbria to have a better reputation as a university than Portsmouth.
Third, Northumbria I see as constantly improving university.

The modern buildings are really cool.

yeah. my friend goes to Northumbria, and i was sceptical about it being a stereotypical poly, but she absolutely loves it and I've heard good things about it. it is really just the fact that the course in Portsmouth sounds slightly better - obviously don't wanna live in a horrible place just for that though! hmmm...
Reply 3
Original post by emilyjm91
yeah. my friend goes to Northumbria, and i was sceptical about it being a stereotypical poly, but she absolutely loves it and I've heard good things about it. it is really just the fact that the course in Portsmouth sounds slightly better - obviously don't wanna live in a horrible place just for that though! hmmm...

In what way does it sound better?
I would try and find people who do both the degrees and ask them what they think about it.
Reply 4
it just sounds slightly more orientated to what i want to do after finishing uni. yeah i will - thank you
Reply 5
I don't know about northumbria, but portsmouth is a great city. It's a small city right on the coast (it's actually an island, called portsea) and its beautiful! It's full of fields and commons that go straight to the sea. The nightlife there is amazing too. Everyone there is so friendly, I live in Spain and my best friend is from portsmouth and everyone is so nice ( they all know eachother, seriously). Rumors about it being a horrible place are wrong :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending