The Student Room Group

Are GCSE's important if your A Levels are very good?

I understand GCSE reflect your intelligence and so on, however, I was wondering if my A Levels were really good (AAAa) would if make any difference to my GCSEs.

E.g. GCSE - 2 A's, 8 B's and 2 C's. Obviously these are decent GCSEs but not brilliant.
So if I got A's all round at A Level, could my GCSE's be overlooked?

Thanks
Depends for where and for what.
Yes they could be overlooked, depending on where you apply to. You could have trouble if universities ask for specific grades though, such as an A in GCSE maths or English.
Reply 3
As long as your A-levels are OUTSTANDING... I'm talking A*'s with A's at the minimum then your GCSE's will be overlooked.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed

Yes they could be overlooked, depending on where you apply to. You could have trouble if universities ask for specific grades though, such as an A in GCSE maths or English.

but from what I've seen most of the good universities require only B's in English and Maths. I suppose only Oxford and Cambridge would look at A's in English and Maths.
Original post by RP-MRU.
but from what I've seen most of the good universities require only B's in English and Maths. I suppose only Oxford and Cambridge would look at A's in English and Maths.

Some science or engineering courses, and a small number of business/economics courses that I know of ask for an A in maths. They are the minority, though.
Reply 6

Some science or engineering courses, and a small number of business/economics courses that I know of ask for an A in maths. They are the minority, though.

I haven't heard that for Business and Economics before, fair enough.

Cheers mate!
Reply 7
Depends what University...

Apparently Oxbridge and Durham have a minimum number of A*'s to get in... but they've never actually said so themselves, and we were told at our school only to apply if we had a minimum of 6*'s... anyway that's beside the point. There are loads of people at Oxbridge and Durham with a lot less than that, so if you A Levels are outstanding, you'll be in a much better standing.

Some courses specify a B (usually a B but some want an A) in Mathematics, English, Science or a Modern Foreign Langauge. nut that all really depends on the course an university.

They ARE important, but at the end of the day they are not nearly as important as your A Level, PS and refernces etc. So I doubt your would be a hinderance as long as the A Levels are a bit better :smile:
Reply 8
So for example, if I got all A's at A Level with those GCSE's, could I do, let's say, law?
Your GCSE grades are fine.

Quick Reply

Latest