The Student Room Group

A-level choices

I want to take Biology, English language, psychology, sociology and Spanish for A -level. Are these sensible choices? I would like to do Psychology at uni.
Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Good-ish. Just a couple of things to say: are you sure you want to do 5? That's a lot of work and Unis don't need that many. Also, English language and Sociology aren't as respected as some of your other choices - maybe drop one of them? Biology and Spanish are both respected though, and Psychology obviously relates to your degree. :smile:
Reply 2
Psychology and Sociology are similar - I personally wouldn't do those two subjects together.
Reply 3
Think about if you change your mind about doing psyhology. Have you studied it before? If not, then make sure you have a fall-back, which your A level choices will permit you to follow.

English language is not particularly similar to English language GCSE, just thought I'd point that out, as many of my friends thought it was and are now doing the A level and disliking it.
Reply 4
Original post by milkytea
Think about if you change your mind about doing psyhology. Have you studied it before? If not, then make sure you have a fall-back, which your A level choices will permit you to follow.

English language is not particularly similar to English language GCSE, just thought I'd point that out, as many of my friends thought it was and are now doing the A level and disliking it.

Yep I thought about it and would do speech sciences and my chcocies are suitable for that.
Reply 5
Original post by BookWormShanti
Good-ish. Just a couple of things to say: are you sure you want to do 5? That's a lot of work and Unis don't need that many. Also, English language and Sociology aren't as respected as some of your other choices - maybe drop one of them? Biology and Spanish are both respected though, and Psychology obviously relates to your degree. :smile:

Yes I'm sure lol. Hmm I might drop one but will see how the taster lessons go.
Thanks
Reply 6
English lit is better than lang. And sociology? ****test a level ever
Reply 7
Original post by mehhhw/e
Psychology and Sociology are similar - I personally wouldn't do those two subjects together.

There are some topics that aren't covered in my schools psych course that I want to do i.e family, eductaion, which are covered in Sociology.
Reply 8
Original post by Ebuwa
I want to take Biology, English language, psychology, sociology and Spanish for A -level. Are these sensible choices? I would like to do Psychology at uni.
Thanks

do maths with stats as the applied modules
Reply 9
Original post by Lawlet
do maths with stats as the applied modules

:eek:Maths- I just can't.I pray I get at least a B , I know i can get a A but I find it extremely challenging.
Reply 10
Original post by Ebuwa
:eek:Maths- I just can't.I pray I get at least a B , I know i can get a A but I find it extremely challenging.

well maths is preferred by many university in general (cuz of problem solving and etc), but if you can't get at least an A, then don't do it.
Reply 11
Maths is highly desired for Psychology degrees (which contain a lot of statistics). If you really don't want to do it and think it'll compromise your results, don't. But I think you should look up Psychology degrees to make sure the amount of maths is something you can handle!

Other than that, decent choices, particularly Biology and Spanish.
Those are good choices. But you don't need 5 choices and it's mostly going to be a lot of work for nothing. Also if you're comfortable with it, take maths A-level, if not just try to get at least a B at A-level so you have a chance with the top unis.
Original post by Ebuwa

If you don't want to do maths then get at least a B to have a chance with top unis. (Although if you get a C, it's not the end of the world and you still have a shot at top unis but you'll have more chance getting in)
Hey a level maths aint that difficult given u ve a good teacher , Khans' academy is of great help...
Reply 15
I would say at least do As Maths
Yes, they're good choices as long as you enjoy them. I currently do psychology GCSE, and a lot of my peers want to study it at degree level. My teacher gives them this advice: "Psychology A-level is not essential, but it does give you an outlook and preparation for psychology at degree level."

I went to WH Smith the other day, and picked up an AQA sociology revision guide, it seems a bit boring. It's like R.E and PSCHE mixed together, and seeing as you're picking psychology, I wouldn't do sociology as well.

Go to the University's website that you plan on applying for and check out their requirements for degree level psychology.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by .Serenity.
Yes, they're good choices as long as you enjoy them. I currently do psychology GCSE, and a lot of my peers want to study it at degree level. My teacher gives them this advice: "Psychology A-level is not essential, but it does give you an outlook and preparation for psychology at degree level."

I went to WH Smith the other day, and picked up an AQA sociology revision guide, it seems a bit boring. It's like R.E and PSCHE mixed tgether, and seeing as you're picking psychology, I wouldn't do sociology as well.

Go to the University's website that you plan on applying for and check out their requirements for degree level psychology.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest