The Student Room Group

Media Design - where to search?

Hello TSR :smile:

Firstly I'd like to apologise if such thread already exists, but quite frankly I couldn't find an answer using the search function.

I am not satisfied with the information provided to me by unistats or ucas. When searching for "media design" I either find computer science or media and communications, and get links to universities like Aberystwyth which are near the top of the list but... don't seem to offer any media design course at all. It's actually my second day searching using the above websites, plus the times ranking and whatuni.com, but they seem to be giving unclear or irrelevant results. And whenever I find something, I get scarce information on whether the course is paticularily good at a uni. Perhaps it would be so much easier if I strove to apply for something straightforward, like "medicine" or "law"...

I'd like to ask you, experienced fellow seekers of knowledge, for help.
Is there any university I should immediately look at? Something that offers outstanding media design courses.

What is important is that I'd like to avoid two things - a course beeing too much set on science (too much programming and computer systems over actual design), but also I don't see myself at a typical design course with arts all over the place, focusing entirely on perfecting Photoshop and Gimp.

So no Computer Science, no Graphic/Illustration Design. Simply Media Design, or Interactive Media Design. Featuring images, movies, games, mobile software, commercials, web and tv all in one place.
Reply 1
It really depends what you want from a course. I've applied for similar ones this year, so I know a tiny bit c:

From the courses I've looked at, Interactive Media Design (now called Digital Interaction Design) appears to be the best for this mix. The uni has a great art school as well as a great comp sci department, so there's a good mixture of both elements. You can choose to be as artistic or as technical as you want.

I also looked at a course at Kingston in London called Computer Graphics Technology, which has a few paired courses that apperared to be very good for TV, etc. It's a small uni though, and I wasn't as impressed as I was by Dundee.

I probably looked through a few other courses that would be good for you, but seeing as I'm going for a more arty route I haven't kept track of them. My only real advice is that you need to get it from the horse's mouth: websites like whatuni and even UCAS don't have a proper specification for this type of course, so it's often listed under Design, Art, Tecnology or even Computer Science.

Ooh, amost forgot. Skillset has lots of information on different courses for Media, and is especially useful as a starting point. c:

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Thank you very much for help :wink:

Yes, I stumbled upon Dundee and it caught my eye, as it seemed to have a good number of courses more or less relevant to what I was looking for. But, you know, I can't really say which one is good and I need different opinions.

So, are you studying right now? If yes, where and are you enjoying it? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Moto200
Thank you very much for help :wink:

Yes, I stumbled upon Dundee and it caught my eye, as it seemed to have a good number of courses more or less relevant to what I was looking for. But, you know, I can't really say which one is good and I need different opinions.

So, are you studying right now? If yes, where and are you enjoying it? :smile:

Not in uni yet :wink: I'm in 6th year of highschool in Scotland, but I've applied for Digital Interaction Design at Dundee, General Foundation Art and Design at Dundee, Computer Arts at Abertay, Art and DEsign: New Media at GSA and Multimedia Technology at Brunel.

I've spoken to a lot of people doing Digital Interaction Design at Dundee and have heard it is the best course. Also my mum is on the university's board for computer science and has some inside knowledge, and she said it was good too! It seems quite well regarded by industry, and a lot of their graduates go on to win D&D prizes, etc. This is the course website. Then again, I can only say from what I've seen, so I'm not really a primary source! They were lovely on the open day though.

Brunel is my wildcard, but the program I am applying for seems to be quite similar to what you want. It probably has more of a tech focus, I'd say. [website]

And yeah, skillset is a great place to start lookign for "Skillset accredited" courses, which all tend to be highly regarded. Look here.

So, are you applying this year or next? c:
Reply 4
I'm applying for 2011 and I might just consider Dundee. So chances are we might enter there together :smile:

Skillset should be really helpful - it's got only the unis I need :smile: A big thanks once again.

By the way, I still keep wondering if this kind of course is for me. As of now, I have quite a popular YouTube channel. I've published more than 130 short videos, most of them are pretty sophisticated edits of existing footage. I tried my skills at drawing and music-making, the first one I use to love as a child, but now I know I lack practice when compared to others. I've also ran my school's television for a year, not in terms of hardware, but video recording, journalism and countless hours of editing.
I like video games as well, I'm trying to play as much as I can, but I usually look at them through a technical standpoint - "how did they do that? Is that hi-poly or pre-rendered? What would I improve?", that kind of thing.
I usually avoid sophisticated drawing and programming. Sketching is okay.

You see, perhaps I'd do well at drawing. It could be really satisfying for me, but seeing how little practice I had in the recent years and comparing myself to others - I have nothing impressive to show. It may take a lot of time to learn, and I still want to explore games, commercials and so on.
Reply 5
Original post by Moto200
I'm applying for 2011 and I might just consider Dundee. So chances are we might enter there together :smile:

Skillset should be really helpful - it's got only the unis I need :smile: A big thanks once again.

By the way, I still keep wondering if this kind of course is for me. As of now, I have quite a popular YouTube channel. I've published more than 130 short videos, most of them are pretty sophisticated edits of existing footage. I tried my skills at drawing and music-making, the first one I use to love as a child, but now I know I lack practice when compared to others. I've also ran my school's television for a year, not in terms of hardware, but video recording, journalism and countless hours of editing.
I like video games as well, I'm trying to play as much as I can, but I usually look at them through a technical standpoint - "how did they do that? Is that hi-poly or pre-rendered? What would I improve?", that kind of thing.
I usually avoid sophisticated drawing and programming. Sketching is okay.

You see, perhaps I'd do well at drawing. It could be really satisfying for me, but seeing how little practice I had in the recent years and comparing myself to others - I have nothing impressive to show. It may take a lot of time to learn, and I still want to explore games, commercials and so on.

I can't decide what's right for you XD All I know is that generally, for the Games industry you probably need to focus on either Art or Programming: I'm not the best to ask, but all of the Game Designers at my work experience had started out as artists. This thread might be helpful.

Even though you're not as interested in drawing, a lot of courses look for a portfolio of sorts, and I know for sure that Dundee does... So you'd have to put that together.

I think you really need to think about what you're going to do. I've been researching this since about this time last year and I really only just made up my mind about courses. Also remember that some of them will want Art Advanced higher, or Maths / Physics. You need to decide quick!
Reply 6
Original post by caiitlinz
I think you really need to think about what you're going to do. I've been researching this since about this time last year and I really only just made up my mind about courses. Also remember that some of them will want Art Advanced higher, or Maths / Physics. You need to decide quick!

I've been thinking for a long time, and frankly, there's no guarantee I won't change my mind after the deadline :smile:
I think getting into media design, which is not very specific actually, would be a good choice for me, because after the BA years it will be easier to choose which medium i would like to master.
Thanks again caiitlinz, you're a great help :smile:

By the way, has anyone checked Newport, Wales? It pops up every now and then. Do you think it's a good environment for playing with various kinds of new media? (I mean, studying. Yes, lots of hard work.)
Reply 7
Original post by Moto200
I've been thinking for a long time, and frankly, there's no guarantee I won't change my mind after the deadline :smile:
I think getting into media design, which is not very specific actually, would be a good choice for me, because after the BA years it will be easier to choose which medium i would like to master.
Thanks again caiitlinz, you're a great help :smile:

By the way, has anyone checked Newport, Wales? It pops up every now and then. Do you think it's a good environment for playing with various kinds of new media? (I mean, studying. Yes, lots of hard work.)

I haven't seen anything about it, sorry. Anyway, best of luck to you c: Tell me how it goes / where you end up applying for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending