The Student Room Group

The problem with female comedians

Why do you think that there are no young, good looking female comedians?

All the good female comedians are generally middle aged and not what most people would find very attractive(e.g Catherine Tate or Victoria Wood)

But there are many young male comedians e.g. Russell Howard and Jack Whitehall

Is it possibly because males can get away with saying more things? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jo Brand (i'm assuming she doesn't fall into the 'young, good looking female comedian' bracket :h:) said recently in an interview that she thought that female comedians are more likely to give up after 4 bad shows in a row, being less self confident, all that jazz.

I feel it's harder to be funny if you're good looking.

to quote:

in short, i think it's society's expectations which prevent young, good looking women from becoming comedians.

or maybe we're just not that funny.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Ummm Holly Walsh is quite young and almost attractive.
Reply 3
I think if Frankie Boyle was a woman there would be more hate, just as an example.
But overall, I'm not sure... maybe it has something to do with the typical audience of comedy? How people start up? If you begin in pubs or doing low-key tours or whatever you might be performing to a more male-dominated audience and therefore more men are likely to "get through" that stage so-to-speak because they are on more similar wavelengths?
Honestly not sure, but an interesting question.
Or simply they're **** for some reason? :dontknow:

No really, every good comedian is coincidentally a male.
Reply 5
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I would say Sarah Millican is a young, female comedian but she's not funny, annoying as **** and looks like the remaining items of a car boot sale all thrown together :colonhash:

Maybe male comedians have an 'I don't give a **** what you think, I think I'm funny so I'm going to carry the **** on' attitude whereas female comedians are more in the 'oh they didn't laugh, I can't be as funny as mummy thinks so I'll give up now' camp. Yes, I'm generalising, but hey.
Reply 7
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
Or simply they're **** for some reason? :dontknow:

No really, every good comedian is coincidentally a male.

I completely agree with this! There are so many good male comedians, but all the female comedians are just not funny at all! :yes:
Reply 9
Shappi Korsandi. Dunno if she counts as young and attractive though... :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by anoushka1
Why do you think that there are no young, good looking female comedians?

All the good female comedians are generally middle aged and not what most people would find very attractive(e.g Catherine Tate or Victoria Wood)

But there are many young male comedians e.g. Russell Howard and Jack Whitehall

Is it possibly because males can get away with saying more things? :smile:

Watch Dawn French's Girls Who Do Comedy - deals with this. Good looking women can't be good because men aren't focusing on what they are saying, they're just thinking "Great pair of ****" and women see good looking women as a threat, so just hate them.

People judge women on what they wear and how they look, whereas they don't do this with men.
Reply 11
Looks have nothing to do with comedy really.

And I disagree that all female comedians are rubbish. Generally male comedians are funnier, but there's some very funny women, for example, Miranda Hart.
Reply 12
Original post by Lintu93
Shappi Korsandi. Dunno if she counts as young and attractive though... :dontknow:

She's not attractive and she not funny!
Reply 13
I think female comedians tend to concentrate on too niche topics.

I hate to generalise, but pretty much every "recognised as good" comedian tends too be a white male. Women comedians tend to focus solely "women issues", similar to how comedians from different nations/cultures tend to focus on their paticular cultures which doesn't appeal very widely.

However, comedians such as Michael McIntyre, Russel Howard, Tim Vine etc... tend to appeal to pretty much everybody. Whether you think they are good comedians is a different matter, but generally, they speak about issues that everybody can relate to. They don't speak about issues that only some women can relate to, or people that have been to a certain country can relate to etc...
(edited 13 years ago)
Plenty of young, attractive comediennes.

Jennifer Saunders started in her 20's, Morgana Robinson, Holly Walsh, Sarah Silverman etc.
Reply 15
Original post by screenager2004
Plenty of young, attractive comediennes.

Jennifer Saunders started in her 20's, Morgana Robinson, Holly Walsh, Sarah Silverman etc.

Just a shame that none of those are funny.
It is indeed a mystery of life; why aren't there any good feminine female comedians? It's all to do with being controversial/not of the norm, this is unexpected and hence, funny.

Masculine men - funny, as 'manly men' cook steaks! drink beer and are sexist! (controversial to post modernism)
Femanine men - funny as they're camp! They say things that are controversial to what a 'normal' man would say

Masculine women - Funny in a similar way that a camp man is funny, its controversial.
Feminine women - not funny. Nothing is controversial or suprising.

Generally males seem to be better at comedy.
I find female comedians like to talk about relationships/ sex lifes/ cake much much more than male comedians. I do think there are some really funny female comedians out there tough.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Regrettably, women are not as funny as men although there are one or two who are the exception to the rule. Jo Brand and Jenny Eclaire to mention but two.

Quick Reply

Latest