The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to take clothes back after wearing them?

Ok, so I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he hasn't soepent anything on clothes apart from socks and undewear, since he has been at university. Of course I was intrigued to understand how. He said he wears clothes till they are ready for a wash, but so they don't smell and then takes them back (he leaves the tags etc on and just folds them inside) He ends up with designer clotnhes to wear for free and no washing/cleaning bills.

I also asked him:what if they smell that it's been used and he replied he doubts a shop assistant would dare say he smelt, and hasn't had that problem yet.

Sounds like a great idea for people on a budget, so was just wondering could you get into trouble?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My friends mum does this. But designer clothes are meant for people who can afford them.
I know quite a few people who do this with party dresses and the suchlike. I don't think it's illegal, just a bit immoral perhaps.
This happens a lot at where I work

I have to smell the t-shirts, because 80% of the time they smell of fags and booze, it's so annoying!
Reply 4
lmfao, what a legend
The only problem comes when someone spills a drink down the clothes or something similar.
Reply 6
i remember one time i went out on the town in some new jeans, long story short i soiled myself, anyway the next day i took them back unwashed and the attendant was legally binded to refund me because it was within 24 hours, so i was there embarrassed while she gingerly took them off me.
Reply 7
It is immoral, imo. And kind of cheap of them...just buy the clothes properly. And if you can't afford it, buy less expensive non-designer clothes!
Reply 8
Thats quite digusting really. Maybe your friend should learn to use a washing machine and buy cheaper clothes.

I used to work for a ladies clothes shop when I was at uni and this woman came in wanting to return this white dress. She'd spilt beer all down it and the smell was digusting. How can people really be that stupid??
Reply 9
Original post by G8D
He sounds like a ****.

It's not illegal, no... considering how impossible it could be to even begin to prove that.

Dude is that sikh guy you lol ?
Reply 10
Original post by tbm
Thats quite digusting really. Maybe your friend should learn to use a washing machine and buy cheaper clothes.

I used to work for a ladies clothes shop when I was at uni and this woman came in wanting to return this white dress. She'd spilt beer all down it and the smell was digusting. How can people really be that stupid??

Haha, I don't think he would be so stupid as to try and do that, as he is the kind of guy who looks after his stuff. Or if he did that, I dobut he would take it back, he isn't silly.....

I don't really see how it is disgusting?? Not like you're going to catch an STI from someone's t-shirt....
Reply 11
Original post by Peteo
Haha, I don't think he would be so stupid as to try and do that, as he is the kind of guy who looks after his stuff. Or if he did that, I dobut he would take it back, he isn't silly.....

I don't really see how it is disgusting?? Not like you're going to catch an STI from someone's t-shirt....

Its disgusting because when you buy clothes from a shop you expect them to be new, not to have been worn by someone else for god knows how long and then taken back.
Reply 12
I don't think it's illegal...but definiteky frowned upon! If you can't afford the clothes don't buy them..
Ew, I guess its not illegal but kinda weird.

Wouldn't you just feel like an idiot walking around with the tags still on? I know he tucks them in...but what if they fell back out and he was walking along with them hanging out the back of his shirt, he would look like a douche.
Reply 14
Original post by G8D
No...

fair enough
Reply 15
Original post by thevelvetonion
Ew, I guess its not illegal but kinda weird.

Wouldn't you just feel like an idiot walking around with the tags still on? I know he tucks them in...but what if they fell back out and he was walking along with them hanging out the back of his shirt, he would look like a douche.

Not likely....you're nitpicking.. I just asked him that and he said nope, it's never happened in the years he's been doing it..

Even if it did, why would he be so self conscious and insecure to care?
Reply 16
Ew, that sounds so disgusting...and to think that other people are going to buy that same shirt etc.

:puke:
Original post by Peteo
Not likely....you're nitpicking.. I just asked him that and he said nope, it's never happened in the years he's been doing it..

Even if it did, why would he be so self conscious and insecure to care?

Not really nitpicking is it, its an obvious thing that could happen. And he probably just never noticed even if it did happen.

Well good on him I suppose if he doesn't care about what he looks like but the fact he is buying designer clothes kind of proves he does care. Maybe its just me but if I saw someone walking along with tags on their clothes I would laugh...
Reply 18
i don't know but it's ****ing revolting

your friend is an utter cheapskate.
Reply 19
Original post by thevelvetonion
Not really nitpicking is it, its an obvious thing that could happen. And he probably just never noticed even if it did happen.

Well good on him I suppose if he doesn't care about what he looks like but the fact he is buying designer clothes kind of proves he does care. Maybe its just me but if I saw someone walking along with tags on their clothes I would laugh...

Yes he is buying them, but in reality he isn't as the net result is free. He "gets" designer clothes as he says they wear far better so he can sometimes get away with wearing them for longer before becomign scruffy, apparently, also he may aswell get them as they aren't costing him anymore than primark t shirts...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending