The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ash_D
I know two medics who got offers from oxbridge but turned them down to go to Leicester

Fair enough- medicine's one of Leicester's most highly rated subjects (usually gets ranked about 7th in the UK).
Reply 61
Original post by Rai
No lol. You've completely misconstrued that page. That's the success rate (ie. Acceptances to Applications), the proportion of students OXFORD ACCEPTS (not the proportion of students that accept the offer, lol) vs the total amount of applications.

I'm not sure I have:

"Colleges and school type
The table below shows, for each college,
a) The percentage of applications to that college which came from the maintained (state) sector out of all applications from the maintained and independent sector;
b) The percentage of offers of places by that college that went to maintained sector out of all offers to the maintained and independent sector; and
c) The percentage of acceptances (i.e. candidates accepting their offer and starting at Oxford) from the maintained sector out fo all acceptances to the maintained and independent sector."
Reply 62
Original post by Mann18
I'm not sure I have:

"Colleges and school type
The table below shows, for each college,
a) The percentage of applications to that college which came from the maintained (state) sector out of all applications from the maintained and independent sector;
b) The percentage of offers of places by that college that went to maintained sector out of all offers to the maintained and independent sector; and
c) The percentage of acceptances (i.e. candidates accepting their offer and starting at Oxford) from the maintained sector out fo all acceptances to the maintained and independent sector."

I skim read your post and missed the bit at the bottom about maintained only. Apologies. It only shows the proportional acceptance (and thus rejection) in comparison to independent, however, so tells us very little about how many actually reject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Yeah. Got offers from UCL, Cambridge, York (all my choices)

I am at UCL (although it grates on my nerves sometimes)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
I know someone who turned down an offer of medicine at Oxford a few years ago, because the course didn't appeal to him, the main reason being that he wouldn't get to interact with patients for the first three years. I don't know if that's correct, but he's really enjoying his course at Cardiff, and doesn't regret turning down the offer at all.
Reply 65
I did. I just knew I wouldnt be happy there with the whole atmosphere of being surrounded by academics, and living in that part of the country.
Reply 66
Original post by Rai
I skim read your post and missed the bit at the bottom about maintained only. Apologies.

We're cool.
My Dad did back in the 1960s
Reply 68
My friends brother did - he went to Durham instead.
Original post by M1F2R3
A friend of mine had offers for Maths at Imperial and Cambridge [I can't remember the other offers], yet he chose Imperial due to the location.

That actually makes perfect sense, unlike Warwick!
Yeah my freind did, rejected 6 uni offers including cambridge as he believed going into the world of work early is better..experience is more valuable and i agree with him for many areas, took some balls to do i imagine, but good on him
Original post by therealOG
Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL, but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.

Oxbridge is Cambridge. It is OXford and CamBridge
Reply 72
I have a friend who turned down Oxford and Imperial for UCL.
Original post by House of Jonny
Oxbridge is Cambridge. It is OXford and CamBridge

The point is s/he doesn't know anyone who rejected the original offer, since the person s/he's talking about studied for a year then left.
OMGOSH: How my cousin made me sick. The bitch gets an offer after attending one of the roughest schools in the country and banging out her multiple A* grades. Then she rejects ENGLISH at OXFORD UNIVERSITY for english at BRUNEL>. Obvo brunel is a decent university but c'moonnn English at oxford.....the job opportunities and the prestige is unchallenged by any university....arghhh I nearly killed her. And the worst thing is she was like 'Oxfords not for me' so I'm like then why apply and take someones space bitch!!! - arghhhhh ....
Ive been looking for a place to vent my anger for ages :colondollar:
Reply 75
Original post by im so academic
What? Seriously? Castle is more competitive to get into than other Durham colleges, let alone Oxbridge? :nothing:

Please elaborate.

I'm making an number of assumptions here. First of all that to the majority (and I'm not talking about the niche of well connected upper class people who might all regularly apply to St Johns or something), The Castle would seem to epitomise a particularly prestigious kind of accommodation. So it may receive the highest number of applications, as you can nominate your preferred college.

I think I may have made an error in saying that putting The Castle as your preferred choice will necessarily result in a reduced chance of being accepted at Durham though as they do send the application to another college if they are oversubscribed. But I do wonder - if you were a less fashionable college you might feel flattered to be someone's first choice. As a result I hope that their admissions system is purely based on the decision of the departments rather than some college input.
Reply 76
My friend's sister rejected her Oxford placement to study medicine because part of the course involved dissecting animals or something which went against her morale.

I don't know much about it, but I do know she rejected it for a reaon along the lines of this.
Original post by therealOG
True that true that. Plus there isn't much disparity between medicine schools as there is with other subjects.....otherwise the NHS would be ****ed :smile:

You are right about that though different medical schools still structure the course in different ways and use a variety of teaching styles.
Medical Schools such as Keele, Peninsula, York, UEA are all very well worth while, especially if a person is thinking of perhaps practising as a physician or surgeon in those districts. Good working relationships with local practices and consultants can be built up from undergraduate days and lead to career progression.
Reply 78
Original post by c0nfus3d
LOL

:rofl:

What's the matter? :confused:

As I mentioned, he didn't like what he felt to be the stuffy / formal atmosphere of Oxbridge but fell in love with Leeds because of its lively / party atmosphere when he visited it. Now he's almost certain to graduate with a first from Leeds.
Reply 79
Original post by dnumberwang
That actually makes perfect sense, unlike Warwick!

His girlfriend is in Imperial also, so...

Latest

Trending

Trending