The Student Room Group

waiting to hear back from unis going a bit crazy

I'm waiting to hear back from one university, I've sent my portfolio off to them and me and a friend are hoping to go there, she's heard back and I haven't so I'm getting anxious, my friends keep telling me they're worried and it's not helping me deal with the worry that I haven't gotten in, does anyone have advice on how to cope with that?
Reply 1
Original post by spideyistired
I'm waiting to hear back from one university, I've sent my portfolio off to them and me and a friend are hoping to go there, she's heard back and I haven't so I'm getting anxious, my friends keep telling me they're worried and it's not helping me deal with the worry that I haven't gotten in, does anyone have advice on how to cope with that?
Don't worry about it. Trust me! Worrying will only make the rejection feel worse. I got rejected by Cambridge pre-interview for CompSci due to a mishap in the admissions test even though in practice, my admissions test score was well past interview territory and extremely high chance of getting an offer. I was so nervous beforehand and it made me start stressing nonstop about the decision for interview or no. When the rejection came, I was so dejected and it demotivated me completely to the point where I just did absolutely no work and reached the lowest point I've ever reached (I'm not even exaggerating). It was at the most disastrous time as well because I had my interview for Imperial coming up 5 days later after the rejection, but thankfully that went well.

I'm also waiting on one university and have been doing so for the past 5 months (approaching 6). One person in my year has received an offer for the same course at the same university but there are 5 others (myself included) who are still waiting. Stressing won't speed up the decision and neither will emailing them about your application. The universities have until the 16th of May to return their decision to you so you'll just have to wait until then.

If I were you, try to find a way to distract yourself. I currently have mocks so I'm on the revision grind (I've only been revising for a week because of EPQ and NEA deadlines so I need to focus elsewhere and it's really helped me to ignore university decisions). You have A levels in 3 months! Focus on preparing for your A levels and distract yourself through that perhaps? When the decisions come, be extremely happy and whatever reaction you want. Personally, after getting into Imperial, which is on a similar level as Oxbridge for STEM subjects, I didn't really have any reaction. I was happy but I wasn't jumping for joy. I think that feeling of excitement will only come on results day when I find out my verdict.

Good luck for your decision! I'm sure you won't be rejected but just be a bit more patient and it will come soon!
Reply 2
Original post by vnayak
Don't worry about it. Trust me! Worrying will only make the rejection feel worse. I got rejected by Cambridge pre-interview for CompSci due to a mishap in the admissions test even though in practice, my admissions test score was well past interview territory and extremely high chance of getting an offer. I was so nervous beforehand and it made me start stressing nonstop about the decision for interview or no. When the rejection came, I was so dejected and it demotivated me completely to the point where I just did absolutely no work and reached the lowest point I've ever reached (I'm not even exaggerating). It was at the most disastrous time as well because I had my interview for Imperial coming up 5 days later after the rejection, but thankfully that went well.

I'm also waiting on one university and have been doing so for the past 5 months (approaching 6). One person in my year has received an offer for the same course at the same university but there are 5 others (myself included) who are still waiting. Stressing won't speed up the decision and neither will emailing them about your application. The universities have until the 16th of May to return their decision to you so you'll just have to wait until then.

If I were you, try to find a way to distract yourself. I currently have mocks so I'm on the revision grind (I've only been revising for a week because of EPQ and NEA deadlines so I need to focus elsewhere and it's really helped me to ignore university decisions). You have A levels in 3 months! Focus on preparing for your A levels and distract yourself through that perhaps? When the decisions come, be extremely happy and whatever reaction you want. Personally, after getting into Imperial, which is on a similar level as Oxbridge for STEM subjects, I didn't really have any reaction. I was happy but I wasn't jumping for joy. I think that feeling of excitement will only come on results day when I find out my verdict.

Good luck for your decision! I'm sure you won't be rejected but just be a bit more patient and it will come soon!
Thank you for the good luck wishes! your reply put some things in perspective for me, I can't really do anything right now so I'll focus on my studies, I start my FMP next week to be graded on and I need to focus on that, thank you
Reply 3
Original post by spideyistired
Thank you for the good luck wishes! your reply put some things in perspective for me, I can't really do anything right now so I'll focus on my studies, I start my FMP next week to be graded on and I need to focus on that, thank you
Absolutely no problem and good luck with FMP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending