The Student Room Group

The most boring/dull sports, what's the appeal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
cricket > football.
Reply 41
Original post by Colbert
Glad you could join us :hat2:

Why thank you kind sir.
I'm sure there's a reason I can probably count almost all the countries that play cricket on my fingers
Reply 43
Original post by dnumberwang
I'm sure there's a reason I can probably count almost all the countries that play cricket on my fingers

You have 105 fingers?

Wow. Thats a whole lot of fingers.
Original post by Neil_K
I don't get why people watch boring sports such as....

Golf
Cricket
Snooker
Darts
Lawn green bowling

Although I'm not a football or rugby fan, at least those sports are not 'dull'. But the ones I listed above....geez, what is the appeal? I think I'd be more excited watching paint dry!

What other sports do you consider to be 'dull' or 'boring'?

Because they enjoy the sport?! Just a thought :rolleyes:

I for one can not stand tennis and rugby! bore the **** out of me!
Original post by py0alb
You have 105 fingers?

Wow. Thats a whole lot of fingers.

How many of those countries do you ever hear about or see playing cricket competitively? I'd guess about 12, no I'm not inbred, I did say almost all :tongue:
Reply 47
Curling, lol. It's so easy to watch it's almost hypnotizing. I don't like sports at all, but I can watch curling for maybe 5 minutes. They begin slowly , then they start going crazy and shouting stuff! Lovely.
Reply 48
How many of those countries do you ever hear about or see playing cricket competitively? I'd guess about 12, no I'm not inbred, I did say almost all :tongue:

Seeing as there is 24 at the next world cup, I would double that figure at least.

Funnily enough, cricket is one of only a handful of sports with a reasonable claim to be the 2nd most popular team sport in the world.

If there is any argument to be made about classifying "interesting" or "boring" sports, the only suggestions I can offer are that:

Individual sports are more boring than team sports because you are less likely to care who wins.

Simple sports are more boring than complicated sports because the result comes down to tiny imperceptible differences in technique. They're a lot less intellectually stimulating.

Sports that are decided by judges are more boring than those with a definite way of scoring because of the apparent arbitrary nature of the result.

But most people's logic so far has been: the sports I grew up with and understand are "interesting", everything else is "boring".
Original post by py0alb
Seeing as there is 24 at the next world cup, I would double that figure at least.

Funnily enough, cricket is one of only a handful of sports with a reasonable claim to be the 2nd most popular team sport in the world.

If there is any argument to be made about classifying "interesting" or "boring" sports, the only suggestions I can offer are that:

Individual sports are more boring than team sports because you are less likely to care who wins.

Simple sports are more boring than complicated sports because the result comes down to tiny imperceptible differences in technique. They're a lot less intellectually stimulating.

Sports that are decided by judges are more boring than those with a definite way of scoring because of the apparent arbitrary nature of the result.

What would you say is a simple sport? Individual sports aren't more boring, they're just not for some reason, but I agree about the sports that need judges
Reply 50
What would you say is a simple sport? Individual sports aren't more boring, they're just not for some reason, but I agree about the sports that need judges

Stuff like ski jumping or pistol shooting. You could explain the tactics of ski jumping in two sentences. You could explain the strategy behind pistol shooting in one. Pistol shooting whilst ski jumping? Now that would be worth watching.

For an example of team sport vs individual sport, what is more interesting: The US open golf or the Ryder Cup? I know which one I was fixed to and which one I was barely aware was taking place.
Original post by py0alb
Stuff like ski jumping or pistol shooting. You could explain the tactics of ski jumping in two sentences. You could explain the strategy behind pistol shooting in one. Pistol shooting whilst ski jumping? Now that would be worth watching.

For an example of team sport vs individual sport, what is more interesting: The US open golf or the Ryder Cup? I know which one I was fixed to and which one I was barely aware was taking place.

Fair enough, they tend not to be very popular I guess (unless they're fun)

I don't watch golf, but I don't think I'd find one more interesting than the other :biggrin: because they're both the same sport and I don't have an ounce of patriotism :turban:
I didn't like cricket until meeting my boyfriend and being taken to a couple of matches at the Oval (he is a member of Surrey CC). I still don't fully understand the sport but I do now enjoy it and can see why others get into it.

Just for the fact I can sit there with opposing fans, enjoy a drink and not be worried a fight will break out is enough for me, but the sport itself does have a strange appeal for me now.

I still can't get him into football even having taken him to numerous games I have refereed and a few local professional games.
Original post by Neil_K

Golf
Cricket
Snooker
Darts
Lawn green bowling

Although I'm not a football or rugby fan, at least those sports are not 'dull'. But the ones I listed above....geez, what is the appeal? I think I'd be more excited watching paint dry!

stfu just cause you call a couple of sports dull/boring doesn't mean we all do

not saying i agree/disagree with any of them but some people will like some of those so stfu
Reply 54
Original post by siwelmail
stfu just cause you call a couple of sports dull/boring doesn't mean we all do

not saying i agree/disagree with any of them but some people will like some of those so stfu

Lol, did I hit someone's nerve?! Go easy on the leftover Christmas brandy, dude!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal

Original post by Genocidal
What a "dull" sport is to you may not be a "dull" sport to others.

:ditto:

"Boring/dull is subjective." :fatcontroller:
Dull Sports

American Football - stop/start
Ice Hockey - See Above
Rugy League - See Above
Baseball - a load of luck in hitting home runs at the right time
UFC - too many people trying to get locks on
Horse raceing -same every time
Long distance Running/skiing/cycling/swimming - gets tedious
F1 - See above
Lawn Bowls - see above
fishing - its a bloke sitting there with a stick
Golf - an interupted walk
basketball- non contact and its too similiair
Reply 57
Original post by Neil_K

Golf
Cricket
Snooker
Darts
Lawn green bowling

Even a week ago I would have agreed with you on cricket, but the past week I actually watched most of the 4th ashes test with my uncle and having someone actually explain what was going on made it far more enjoyable. You have to approach watching it differently to watching football or rugby. I found this out with American football - they are more 'background music' sports to have on while you do other things or have conversations. With rugby I can't look away from the screen or talk to anyone.
Speed skating. Round and round and round and round and round and...

But I watch it all the same because I admire the athletes and will watch pretty much anything that involves standing on a podium with a medal crying.
hmm... uni educated, and can't recognise that not everybody has the same tastes as you do.

Quick Reply

Latest