The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 1 - Families and Households Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm doing the sociology exam in jan. too :confused: rather worried about it ! My teacher thinks i am capable of an A grade but I'm really doubting that as I seriously can't remember all the Theorists names and their studies. How is everyone else revising the Theorists ? because just looking at my notes isn't helping them sink in.. thanks. :smile: Happy revision lol.
Original post by xhollyxx
I'm doing the sociology exam in jan. too :confused: rather worried about it ! My teacher thinks i am capable of an A grade but I'm really doubting that as I seriously can't remember all the Theorists names and their studies. How is everyone else revising the Theorists ? because just looking at my notes isn't helping them sink in.. thanks. :smile: Happy revision lol.

i'm just sorta writing up the notes, rewriting over and over then I've made 'flash cards' with questions on them e.g. 'what did parsons say about the family' then ill try and answer them - its the only way they tend to get stuck in my head.
Reply 22
did any1 ask there teachers for what their predictions for what topic might come up
im a type of person that if an topic for example was on family diversity and it came on 2010 i will not revise it i will revise the ones that hasnt come on yet.

childhood was an essay question in 2008/2009
so was marxism

functionalist,social policy, divorce, feminisn is what i fink but i really wanna know other people opinions, i wanna feel a bit more comfortable

good luck with revision guys
Reply 23
Original post by englishboy
marxism and family diversity was the 2 essay question in january 2011
june 2009 - gender role and relationship and changes in birth rate, family size
january 2009 2 essay question was on childhood and nuclear family

what came on in the resit in june 2010 for families and household

and what do people think is the most likely topics to come on in the exam for january 2011

Original post by Bubbles0ox
something about death rates came up in june 2010 - was awful
but can't remember the other one

any predictions for this year?
i'm thinking childhood as it hasn't come up and hopefully something like Marxism/functionalism in the family :biggrin:

The other question is on Family losing its functions in today's society. So that probably wont come up but it could be worded differently!

Good luck!
Original post by abisolaay
The other question is on Family losing its functions in today's society. So that probably wont come up but it could be worded differently!

Good luck!

Reply 25
my revision is going terribly
how are you revising?

The concepts aren't a problem for me, because it seems very similar to GCSE Sociology. I've been making notes on key theorists for each school of thought, eg, Murdock & Parsons for functionalism.

one of my teachers just talks at us!
its sooo annoying

Mine does that, and gives us powerpoints, which I find very unhelpful. We have done exams in timed conditions though, and if you haven't done this, you really should.
Original post by Plonk
The concepts aren't a problem for me, because it seems very similar to GCSE Sociology. I've been making notes on key theorists for each school of thought, eg, Murdock & Parsons for functionalism.

Mine does that, and gives us powerpoints, which I find very unhelpful. We have done exams in timed conditions though, and if you haven't done this, you really should.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by englishboy
did any1 ask there teachers for what their predictions for what topic might come up
im a type of person that if an topic for example was on family diversity and it came on 2010 i will not revise it i will revise the ones that hasnt come on yet.

childhood was an essay question in 2008/2009
so was marxism

functionalist,social policy, divorce, feminisn is what i fink but i really wanna know other people opinions, i wanna feel a bit more comfortable

good luck with revision guys

I've got a feeling social policy will come up
just because its fairly topical atm
Reply 28
Thanks for the advice :smile:

Not a problem, and speaking of timed papers:

I got a timed paper returned yesterday, and scored 50/60, which I'm pleased about. However, I felt my answers to the essay questions weren't brilliant in terms of essay writing as they were quite short and didn't seem detailed enough to me, but both got 20/25.

So, in this exam, do your essays have to be "proper" long, detailed essays, or are shorter essays that still have correct content (theorists names used properly, counter-arguments, balanced argument) fine? Just checking my teacher isn't giving me a false sense of hope. xD
Original post by Plonk
Not a problem, and speaking of timed papers:

I got a timed paper returned yesterday, and scored 50/60, which I'm pleased about. However, I felt my answers to the essay questions weren't brilliant in terms of essay writing as they were quite short and didn't seem detailed enough to me, but both got 20/25.

So, in this exam, do your essays have to be "proper" long, detailed essays, or are shorter essays that still have correct content (theorists names used properly, counter-arguments, balanced argument) fine? Just checking my teacher isn't giving me a false sense of hope. xD

This is what i have an issue with, i'll do an essay in timedish conditions and i read it through and it doesnt seem very good at all but i get fairly good marks.
I think its more about quality over quantity and they know that you only have an hour to do the whole exam so would rather it was short with lots of detail than long with loads of pointless stuff.
Reply 30
This is what i have an issue with, i'll do an essay in timedish conditions and i read it through and it doesnt seem very good at all but i get fairly good marks.
I think its more about quality over quantity and they know that you only have an hour to do the whole exam so would rather it was short with lots of detail than long with loads of pointless stuff.

Well, all my timed essays have been like that and have been getting A's, so I'm assuming it's fine. Also, I believe you were asking about possible essay questions? I've just typed up these 24 mark questions from the last two Sociology exams:

January 2010:

"Examine the ways in which government policy and laws may affect the nature and extent of family diversity"

"Using Item 2B and elsewhere, assess the Marxist view that the main role of the family is to serve the interests of capitalism"

June 2009:

"Examine the reasons for changes in birth rates and family sizes since 1900"

"Using Item 2B and elsewhere, assess the view that gender roles and relationships have become more equal in modern family life"

So I'm now thinking something about the rise in divorce rates and possibly something about functionalism or childhood being a social construct. Thoughts?
Reply 31
Which month and year was :
something about the fall of death rate since 1900 and family losing its function?
thanks
Reply 32
Original post by patrickedore
Which month and year was :
something about the fall of death rate since 1900 and family losing its function?
thanks

The answer to that question is in my post directly above yours.
Reply 33
the questions were different to the ones you posted above- i suspect it was june 2010.
Reply 34
Original post by patrickedore
the questions were different to the ones you posted above- i suspect it was june 2010.

I looked, but couldn't find a June 2010 paper.
Reply 35
oh ok, i appreciate it your help :smile: thanks.
Reply 36
I'm taking this exam in May and already panicing so I really feel for you guys, good luck!
I'm finding it really difficult to revise in terms of memorising sociologists and their theories and perspectives, and also key dates when things occurred and key dates when laws were implemented. Am I the only one who thinks, how on earth, is it possible, to memorise all these different things in reference to several different subject areas (families - childhood, divorce, changing patterns, birth rates etc etc) and then there is Unit 2 the Education unit. Just HOW! I'm taking other A-Levels too, how, how is it possible to remember this stuff?!?! I'm desparate to get an A but since I'm doing it through distance learning I haven't been able to take mocks or anything. I'm terrified of only getting a B or C because I need As for the uni I want :frown: :s-smilie: Scared.
Reply 37
Original post by akemikat
I'm taking this exam in May and already panicing so I really feel for you guys, good luck!
I'm finding it really difficult to revise in terms of memorising sociologists and their theories and perspectives, and also key dates when things occurred and key dates when laws were implemented. Am I the only one who thinks, how on earth, is it possible, to memorise all these different things in reference to several different subject areas (families - childhood, divorce, changing patterns, birth rates etc etc) and then there is Unit 2 the Education unit. Just HOW! I'm taking other A-Levels too, how, how is it possible to remember this stuff?!?! I'm desparate to get an A but since I'm doing it through distance learning I haven't been able to take mocks or anything. I'm terrified of only getting a B or C because I need As for the uni I want :frown: :s-smilie: Scared.

We were told not to try and remember every single name. It's really not needed. As for not being able to take mocks, you can download past papers and mark schemes, and maybe get someone else to mark them?

Unit two actually seems better than one to me, because it's more interesting. :tongue:
Reply 38
What 24 mark topics does everybody think will come up in January 2011?
I'm guessing Social Policies, not sure what else though :/
Reply 39
I am quite nervous for this exam now.
Does anyone know what mark you need to get out of 60 to get a C, B or A?
thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending