The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by aptkoolaid
popat that is really impressive, with that sort of revision you should ace this exam. If anyone has something similar but for small island share it!

Thank you :biggrin: Now if only you were an examiner...
Reply 121
Just noticed setting/place has NEVER come up in section B on an exam, it's only in the spec, so I think that is bound to come up. Another likely contender is beginnings/openings because that has also NEVER come up, except for in the spec. Symbolism has also NEVER come up on any paper before. So I'm concentrating on setting/place, begginings/openings and symbolism. Then I'll do a bit on time and characters and probably all the other themes that came up in 2009. Just my strategic revision :wink:
Original post by Popat21
Aah I haven't read any of those texts but I'll try to explain it.

Narrative voice is the voice used to narrate the text. You'd mention things like inadequate narration, stream of consciousness, omniscient narrators, intrusive narrators and their opinions and how you know that they narrate in this style.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Oh yes i see, ive had a look at some mark schemes on narrative voice questions and i understand it much better now but thanks for the help anyway!
Reply 123
Hey everyone!
I'm resitting too! AQA marking was so messed up in summer of 2010. I got a D when I was predicted a B so got it remarked and it went up 11 marks to a C! But I'm still retaking unfortunately :frown:

I'm doing The Great Gatsby, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Keats and Rime of the Ancient by Coleridge.

So far so good, I definitely want to do Ancient Mariner for Section A but I'm worried about the section B questions as there have been some random titles in previous years such as
'How do writers use repetition to create meaning' and 'Write about the potential meanings of titles'. Any key ideas on what you are revising for section B??

I done past papers on 'Importance of setting' and 'Time and Sequence' but I really want to be well prepapred this time round!

Would love to hear for you guys, best of luck to everyone taking this exam!!!
Original post by Jen_17

'How do writers use repetition to create meaning' and 'Write about the potential meanings of titles'. Any key ideas on what you are revising for section B??

I done past papers on 'Importance of setting' and 'Time and Sequence' but I really want to be well prepapred this time round!

For section B, like the guy a couple posts ago, I think they may either go for the spec question or definately something like symbolism. I thought repetition was a sh*t question until I sat down and thought about. You could manipulate it to whatever, repetition of settings; symbols ect.

Because AQA truly out did themselves with the marking, and they know a hell of alot of kids will be retaking, they may be kind, and give a good question, at least titles had already been used, that would of been filth.
Reply 125
I have no idea how you could do a question on titles :| Maybe something on the Kite Runner, sure, but on a lot of the poetry!? Arggggggggggg.
Reply 126
I could blag titles for the kite runner and great gatsby and a couple of auden's poems but Browning and most of auden would be a nightmare
Reply 127
Original post by esachica
I have no idea how you could do a question on titles :| Maybe something on the Kite Runner, sure, but on a lot of the poetry!? Arggggggggggg.

Are you doing Auden because I did that question in class and have stuff on Auden?
Reply 128
Original post by Popat21
Are you doing Auden because I did that question in class and have stuff on Auden?

Yes! Oh you beautiful creature I may have to adopt you!
Im studying the kite runner, the great gatsby, keats and browning

My biggest problem with the exam.... our teacher never taught us how to write, structure, or which A0s apply to which question despite how much we asked there was always something more 'important' for her to teach us. No one got above a C
so stupid

what might be good is if anyone has an critics views which can be added into the essays for support as they are rather hard to find online
ill post some on which i can find x
Reply 130
Yes! Oh you beautiful creature I may have to adopt you!

O What is That Sound - Folky happy sounding title that misleads/wrongfoots the reader. Also sounds pastoral etc. and is a question so confuses the reader (maybe putting them into the mindset of the first narrative voice?)

O Where are you going - Same re. the confusion of the reader and the mindset. Also the folky happy song. Piques the interest of the reader as want to discover who 'you' is.

1st Sept - Contextualises it - German invasion of Poland and makes this the centre point of the poem. The content is a bit vague and this title cements the message (imo)

Miss Gee - Her life is so mundane the narrator simply calls the poem this. Or it emphasises her name.

AIWOOE - Who is I? (this piques reader interest) Interestingly, this poem was called 'A Song'. Why did Auden change it? What effect does it have on you?

If I could tell you - Again, who is I and who is you?

Ode - I hate this poem so cannot write about it and have ignored it for months.

HOPE THIS HELPS :smile:

Edit: Feel free to adopt me :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by emiliee21
Im studying the kite runner, the great gatsby, keats and browning

My biggest problem with the exam.... our teacher never taught us how to write, structure, or which A0s apply to which question despite how much we asked there was always something more 'important' for her to teach us. No one got above a C
so stupid

what might be good is if anyone has an critics views which can be added into the essays for support as they are rather hard to find online
ill post some on which i can find x

Aa) Just tested on A02

Ab) A01, A03 and A)4

B) A01, A02 and A03
Original post by Popat21
Aa) Just tested on A02

Ab) A01, A03 and A)4

B) A01, A02 and A03

you have helped me more in 3 lines than my teacher has in a year
Reply 133
Original post by Popat21
O What is That Sound - Folky happy sounding title that misleads/wrongfoots the reader. Also sounds pastoral etc. and is a question so confuses the reader (maybe putting them into the mindset of the first narrative voice?)

O Where are you going - Same re. the confusion of the reader and the mindset. Also the folky happy song. Piques the interest of the reader as want to discover who 'you' is.

1st Sept - Contextualises it - German invasion of Poland and makes this the centre point of the poem. The content is a bit vague and this title cements the message (imo)

Miss Gee - Her life is so mundane the narrator simply calls the poem this. Or it emphasises her name.

AIWOOE - Who is I? (this piques reader interest) Interestingly, this poem was called 'A Song'. Why did Auden change it? What effect does it have on you?

If I could tell you - Again, who is I and who is you?

Ode - I hate this poem so cannot write about it and have ignored it for months.

HOPE THIS HELPS :smile:

Edit: Feel free to adopt me :smile:

Oooh thank you! Though I still do NOT get how you could write an entire essay on titles :| I could write about a paragraph! That's it!

And I'm picking you up at 9pm, BE READY AND PACKED.
Reply 134
Oooh thank you! Though I still do NOT get how you could write an entire essay on titles :| I could write about a paragraph! That's it!

And I'm picking you up at 9pm, BE READY AND PACKED.

WHERE WERE YOU? I got bored of waiting and changed into my pjs and wrote an essay plan about the ways in which authors use time to shape the order of events.

Okay, I'm sad.
Reply 135
Original post by Popat21
WHERE WERE YOU? I got bored of waiting and changed into my pjs and wrote an essay plan about the ways in which authors use time to shape the order of events.

Okay, I'm sad.

TRAFFIC, YEAH. >:frown:

Dude, I had do that EXACT same exam question in school on Wednesday :redface: they just sprung it on us. How'd you find it?
Reply 136
TRAFFIC, YEAH. >:frown:

Dude, I had do that EXACT same exam question in school on Wednesday :redface: they just sprung it on us. How'd you find it?

TRAFFIC :frown: I found the question horrible, I can write loads about time but relating it to shaping the order of events sucked. how'd you find it?
Reply 137
Original post by Popat21
TRAFFIC :frown: I found the question horrible, I can write loads about time but relating it to shaping the order of events sucked. how'd you find it?

I know, yah :frown: I'll be there by Easter?

Stupidly, I saw 'Shape' and started freaking out. "HOW CAN A BOOK BE A SHAPE?!" and then I re-read the question... though that didn't help much if I'm perfectly honest. Especially with poetry I was like "...er." Which poem of Audens did you write about? I did: "As I walked out one evening" but again, had no idea how you'd relate that to shape -_-
Reply 138
I know, yah :frown: I'll be there by Easter?

Stupidly, I saw 'Shape' and started freaking out. "HOW CAN A BOOK BE A SHAPE?!" and then I re-read the question... though that didn't help much if I'm perfectly honest. Especially with poetry I was like "...er." Which poem of Audens did you write about? I did: "As I walked out one evening" but again, had no idea how you'd relate that to shape -_-

Haha. HOW CAN A BOOK BE A SHAPE?

I wrote this:

O What Is That Ssound lots of progression in a short poem as it takes place over a day/hour/whatever to make the events seem tenser. Chronological. As time progresses, the positive illusion of war shatters.

1st September Present, Past, Future. Dive bars, Athens and Linz and then I will show an affirming flame. Emphasises Auden’s message as persona is providing evidence and also builds trust. Foreboding.
Reply 139
Original post by Popat21
Haha. HOW CAN A BOOK BE A SHAPE?

I wrote this:

O What Is That Ssound lots of progression in a short poem as it takes place over a day/hour/whatever to make the events seem tenser. Chronological. As time progresses, the positive illusion of war shatters.

1st September Present, Past, Future. Dive bars, Athens and Linz and then I will show an affirming flame. Emphasises Auden’s message as persona is providing evidence and also builds trust. Foreboding.

Wahhh, why can't I be smart like you...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending