The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
My notes are very geared towards form/structure/language, you really have to make it explicit and evaluate or otherwise you won't get a level 5.

Spoiler

It's quite simple to do with anything, you just have to go deep into it and find deeper meaning as to why the author does it. I really want an A this year, every unit I've resat I've gotten no less than that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TWF
:confused:I'm super confused now because what you mentioned is pretty much what I have in my Kite Runner ''endings'' notes. ''How do writers create endings in the text'', you basically talk about what made Amir reach that ending (destination). I've heard my teacher speak about journeys, I think that is definetely more specific and easier to understand. I think destination could be a combination of journeys and ending. But then again, I find myself making very similair points when talking about how writers ''create'' endings. ''Create'' basically refers to something similair to ''journey'' as in how he gets to the conclusion in the ending.... but probably also more specifically to how he constructs the narrative in the ending.

Indeed... when you talk about endings, you also end up talking about the intended symbolical message and stuff. It's super confusing, different teachers will have different opinions I guess.... I'll avoid destinations and concentrate on the others.

Probably why I screwed up on endings in June :tongue: And I do hate how English is so subjective, I handed in a practice essay I did last year to my teacher this year and they gave it different grades :s
Reply 202
I think the key thing to do is to constantly refer your essay back to the title, and also to quote, not just short quotes to fill your sentences, but ones that will back it up or create a topic of discussion.
Reply 203
Original post by esachica
See, that makes it all sound quite nice :redface: I only want a blooming C. I got 60 or something in coursework, which I think works out that I need a D in this exam which will get me a C overall. Of course I'd love to do better...but I'm aiming low! XD

Ah yes! For Kite Runner:

Spoiler

I'll get back to you about Gatsby, supposed to be writing a Chapter 8 essay! Also, do you know how to specifically hit the 'form' aspect of language, form and structure?

Got any notes on symbolism in Auden? I can't think of any...
Got a D in the June paper last year, predicted an A, coursework was A grade so I came out with a C overall. I was fuming, but nothing was said at my college about a remark - is the time for this over now?

Got Rossetti, Hardy, Pride & Prej and Curious Incident. Really hoping for a decent Hardy question on Section A :smile:
Original post by OneInSolidarity
Probably why I screwed up on endings in June :tongue: And I do hate how English is so subjective, I handed in a practice essay I did last year to my teacher this year and they gave it different grades :s

Ah - i had the exact same problem as you - done an essay for Rossetti (narrative methods in 'a royal princess' - and my tutor and teacher graded them differently - i was so f'ed off - let's just hope the examiners know what their marking this time - one of my mates got an E in his exam, and when they got his script back - the examiner commented on his section a) i) response "no comment on A04, little alternative interpretations, but some good/specific references to lang and structure" so he got 5/21 - when his remark got 14/21. Your only assessed on A02 for that question anyway - so wtf?
Original post by esachica

Ah yes! For Kite Runner:

I'll get back to you about Gatsby, supposed to be writing a Chapter 8 essay! Also, do you know how to specifically hit the 'form' aspect of language, form and structure?

Ah you absolute beaut! - had never actually considered the 'slingshot' or stupidly the 'kites' - even tho the title is 'the kite runner'? aha.
But i was just wondering - if you had any 'full of analysis' quotes to go along with them?
In terms of symbols - i had only thought of the pomergranate tree and blood - but i'd probably go for kites if it came up!

In regards to your 'form' question - for chapter essays, to hit the form marks, you basically have to answer 'why that chapter is significant to the progression of the story or just why that chapter holds significance" - but as long as your language stuff is 'on the money' - your mark should be good, have faith in you esachica!
Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai
Ah - i had the exact same problem as you - done an essay for Rossetti (narrative methods in 'a royal princess' - and my tutor and teacher graded them differently - i was so f'ed off - let's just hope the examiners know what their marking this time - one of my mates got an E in his exam, and when they got his script back - the examiner commented on his section a) i) response "no comment on A04, little alternative interpretations, but some good/specific references to lang and structure" so he got 5/21 - when his remark got 14/21. Your only assessed on A02 for that question anyway - so wtf?

That's actually disgraceful. Imagine all the papers he marked that didn't get sent back. Pity mine did get remarked and still came back a D - quite a while off my predicted A :colondollar:

A B is looking more realistic now, ruling out half of my uni choices :frown: I think A*A*B indicates bad subject selection :\
Reply 208
Original post by Popat21
Got any notes on symbolism in Auden? I can't think of any...

No, I'm sorry! This is what I've been looking for too :| All that comes to mind is When I walked out one Evening, with the clocks and time representing age and blahhh.

Also found this - "the deep river running on at the end of the poem represents a different, more natural way of measuring time with respect to the mechanized chiming of the clocks. The fact that the river continues to run may be auspicious for the lovers whose feeling could continue to flourish even in the most adverse conditions."

But yeah, can hardly write a good chunk on that D:

Ah you absolute beaut! - had never actually considered the 'slingshot' or stupidly the 'kites' - even tho the title is 'the kite runner'? aha.
But i was just wondering - if you had any 'full of analysis' quotes to go along with them?
In terms of symbols - i had only thought of the pomergranate tree and blood - but i'd probably go for kites if it came up!

In regards to your 'form' question - for chapter essays, to hit the form marks, you basically have to answer 'why that chapter is significant to the progression of the story or just why that chapter holds significance" - but as long as your language stuff is 'on the money' - your mark should be good, have faith in you esachica!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have a few quote analysis generally. Annoyingly, they're not close, CLOSE analysis! :

Spoiler

Reply 209
X

A few more :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 210
so in the exam do we talk about language,structure,form or characters,time,narrative,setting ? blimey im confused

kite runner
keats
gatsby
rime of ancient mariner
Original post by LondonLT
so in the exam do we talk about language,structure,form or characters,time,narrative,setting ? blimey im confused

kite runner
keats
gatsby
rime of ancient mariner

In the marking criteria there are 4 assessment objectives (from memory):
AO1 - quality of writing, terminology etc
AO2 - Language, Form & Structure
AO3 - Alternative interpretations
AO4 - Context

AO1 applies to them all.
AO2 applies to part Ai and part B
AO3 applies to part Aii and part B
AO4 applies to part Aii

If the question of part B was 'How do the authors of the texts you have studies create their characters etc.' Then you would answer the question, making sure that you fulfil all the AO's

For example (off the top of my head): In the first chapter Amir tells us about his 'past of unatoned sins' and how it 'claws its way out', this makes the reader feel sympathy for Amir as he is apparently repentant, feeling pain, consumed by guilt for the past '27 years'. However some readers will regard him with suspicion, wondering why it took him 27 years before he tried to redeem himself - this feeling perhaps further emphasised by the fact Hosseini does not disclose his past, making the reader assume it must be terrible due to the impact it's had.

Not my best, but it hits AO2 'past of unatoned sins', AO3 'However some readers will regard him with suspicion' and maybe AO1, 'teleological progression'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 212
Could someone write me some Section B questions please? :biggrin: Preferably on things that have yet to come up? Would be most appreciated!
Does anyone have anything on Browning's "Fra Lippo Lippi"? I know it has already had a question on section A whereas other poems have not but i'm terrified of it coming up and I need some notes.

I understand the overall stuff about art and its purpose but I don't really understand in what parts of the poem it's clear as I just read an overview of the poem to find this out. Overall it just seems like rambling. :frown:
Reply 214
Hi this is going to sound really stupid but could someone give me an example paragraph of section A (a), using destination? I am a bit miffed about how I can talk about it....
Can summarize the plot of small island please, i lost my notes for it and the plot summary (chapter summaries) was really helpful to me. Anyone?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 216
Quick question, how many poems should you write about for section B?
Reply 217
Original post by casio99
Quick question, how many poems should you write about for section B?

2/3. It depends on the length of the poem and how much time you have.
Reply 218
Original post by Popat21
2/3. It depends on the length of the poem and how much time you have.

One more question regarding structure. Is it wiser to structure your section B essay on order of points or on a text-by-text basis?
Reply 219
Original post by casio99

One more question regarding structure. Is it wiser to structure your section B essay on order of points or on a text-by-text basis?

Definitely text-by-text. Because they don't want you to be comparing authors (but still, a little bit of this is good) it's better for A01 to go text by text with a linking point between each paragraph.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending