The Student Room Group

2011 Criminology applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nutty257
Hi I'm Hayley- Ive applied for criminology at university of leeds,nott trent, lincoln,uni of southampton and uni of manchester.
I have received all 5 conditional offers yay!
as long as i do well in my jan exams then i hope to have leeds as my firm and nott trent as my insurance.
I would love to work in the police force somewhere
although my mum has told me her friend has a criminology degree and u dont need that to work for the police but im so excited to start learning yaya!x

That's excellent, well done! Your mum's friend is right, don't need a degree at all to work in the police, but it certainly would help to have some Criminology knowledge before applying. If anything, the degree shows that you have dedication to your subject and policing career. What the police want is life skills - my dad served in the army before joining the service as an officer and he was never once asked to prove any qualifications!

Original post by olieone
ive got 3 offers for criminology so far : hull bangor and plymouth. which would be the best choice?

I know that Hull can give you a grade dependent academic scholarship for Criminology! Scholarships in Criminology are very hard to come by! Ensure you attend all the applicant days possible and see where you feel most comfortable.
Reply 21
I'm applyin for Criminology too :smile: at UWE, Kent, Portsmouth, Bucks New and Newport Wales. I just got an offer from UWE and Kent acknowledged me agess ago ... so i'm guessing that'll be a rejection :frown:
I would love to work with offenders in some way.
Reply 22
Hello! I've applied to do Criminology at the universities of Cardiff, Manchester, Leicester, Swansea and Birmingham City and have recieved conditional offers from all 5!

I hope to go to Cardiff all being well :smile:

Its scary stuff!
Reply 23
Original post by BethCooke

Hello! I've applied to do Criminology at the universities of Cardiff, Manchester, Leicester, Swansea and Birmingham City and have recieved conditional offers from all 5!

Its scary stuff!

it is scary stuff, very scary, Gooood luck :smile:
Reply 24
I got an offer from Sheffield for Social Policy & Criminology and I have my heart set on getting in there but I honestly have no clue what to do with my degree. I just know Criminology is something I can do well at and to me, includes a variety of transferable skills so it seemed like a smart choice to make considering I don't know where to take my life. I was thinking maybe Criminal Profiling but is this an actual job? Or is this something we just see on Criminal Minds.. I also would perhaps like to work at the Home Office but i'm concerned that my degree in Criminology (haha i'm already talking like I have one) would be seen as insignificant at a place like the Home Office? Any advice is welcomed!
Reply 25

Its scary stuff!

When did you send off your application off to UCAS?
I was just wondering because i sent mine off around the 22nd December and i have heard nothing from any of the Universities
I'm starting to get worried :frown:
Original post by miss_snm
When did you send off your application off to UCAS?
I was just wondering because i sent mine off around the 22nd December and i have heard nothing from any of the Universities
I'm starting to get worried :frown:

The universities have only had about one working week since receiving your application. My longest wait for a reply was just over a month and I sent it during working times (i.e. not just before a holiday like you did!). Calm down :smile:
Reply 27
Out of the 5 universities I have applied to, I am only waiting on a decision off one of them now! :smile: Three conditionals off Aberystwyth, Bangor and UCLan and one rejection off Durham. I only added Durham because I was stuck for a fifth choice, if I'm honest, so I'm not too upset. Now I am just waiting on a reply from Lancaster, but it won't really make much difference to what I am looking to do. I aim to choose Aberystwyth and UCLan as my firm and insurance (although, I have no idea which way around yet!).
Reply 28
Original post by ellakrystina
The universities have only had about one working week since receiving your application. My longest wait for a reply was just over a month and I sent it during working times (i.e. not just before a holiday like you did!). Calm down :smile:

Ahh thank you
I just got an offer from Essex wohoo :biggrin:
Hy! I'm also applying for criminology at keele, kent, southampton, uwe and essex. I've just sent my application and for the moment i must say that I'm fully confident. :smile:
Ahh thank you

Excellent! Congratulations :smile:
Ahh thank you

Which course have you got an offer for in essex? I'm going for that criminology and american studies degree.
Reply 32
I've accepted a conditional offer for Criminology and Criminal Justice at Leeds, so everything going well i'll hopefully be starting in September! Can't wait! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by counteraction
Which course have you got an offer for in essex? I'm going for that criminology and american studies degree.

Okay that sounds really interesting
I applied for Criminology and Social Psychology
Have you received an offer for the course yet?
Reply 34
I'm studying criminology ATM and just a warning to people its not exciting ...well atm it isn't. I'm reapplying to uni this year for something different.
Original post by Andreamtb
I'm studying criminology ATM and just a warning to people its not exciting ...well atm it isn't. I'm reapplying to uni this year for something different.

Where are you studying? I'm a first year currently doing Criminology and Criminal Justice and I really like the course. Didn't you research it beforehand?
Reply 36
Original post by badger-man
Where are you studying? I'm a first year currently doing Criminology and Criminal Justice and I really like the course. Didn't you research it beforehand?

Yeah I researched it a lot and was very excited about it. tbh I think perhaps I'm not finding it challenging enough! don't get me wrong its interesting but not exciting
Original post by Andreamtb
Yeah I researched it a lot and was very excited about it. tbh I think perhaps I'm not finding it challenging enough! don't get me wrong its interesting but not exciting

Ah right, yeah I do understand what you mean. I perhaps aimed a little low with my uni choice but i'm still very happy with the course.
Okay that sounds really interesting
I applied for Criminology and Social Psychology
Have you received an offer for the course yet?

I haven't received any offers yet. I sent my application just 3 days ago. I have been a little late with it but hopefully this won't bring me any drawbacks. :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by counteraction
I haven't received any offers yet. I sent my application just 3 days ago. I have been a little late with it but hopefully this won't bring me any drawbacks. :s-smilie:

Don't worry about it :smile:
As long as you sent it before the deadline it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending