The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Just revised characters and endings for 10 minutes, just in case it comes up. The difference between getting an E and a C :P

Symbolism, openings, setting COME ON you questions..... Oh, 1 hour 15 minutes till the exam!!!! 0__0 freaking out, leaving for college now..... best of luck everybody.
It appears i'm the first to return from the exam! How did you all do? I thought the setting question for section B was quite good although things like form are a pain in the ass to do for that. Browning question was not wat I wanted on The Pied Piper but the second part never mentioned any specific poem so I could use any poem on that one which was better.

Not sure if I will get an A but I think I can get a B since I knew the AOs this time.
Reply 442
Original post by Genocidal
It appears i'm the first to return from the exam! How did you all do? I thought the setting question for section B was quite good although things like form are a pain in the ass to do for that. Browning question was not wat I wanted on The Pied Piper but the second part never mentioned any specific poem so I could use any poem on that one which was better.

Not sure if I will get an A but I think I can get a B since I knew the AOs this time.

Start a new thread dude :biggrin:
Original post by Genocidal

Ive just returned aswell, it appears we've done the same questions.
I found the pied piper one aswell, i found it hard to link form and structure in with the specific stanzas given in particular. part b for this question i spoke about the pied piper and my last duchess, i dissagreed saying the most striking thing in his poem was the extreams the characters go to in order to change their fortunes. i brought in the initial argument slightly but mainly argued against. not sure if i did too well on part A
Part B i talked about how the eggs in gatsby represetn society and the american and that the rich and poor are never too far apart
in the kite runner i said the usa is a symbol of him trying to distance and run from his guilt and he must return to afghanistan in order to recieve redemptiom
and with keats and places i spoke about how seasons and weather in certain places reprsesent emotions

hope ive gone along the right lines :/

what did you write about ??
Original post by emiliee21
Ive just returned aswell, it appears we've done the same questions.
I found the pied piper one aswell, i found it hard to link form and structure in with the specific stanzas given in particular. part b for this question i spoke about the pied piper and my last duchess, i dissagreed saying the most striking thing in his poem was the extreams the characters go to in order to change their fortunes. i brought in the initial argument slightly but mainly argued against. not sure if i did too well on part A
Part B i talked about how the eggs in gatsby represetn society and the american and that the rich and poor are never too far apart
in the kite runner i said the usa is a symbol of him trying to distance and run from his guilt and he must return to afghanistan in order to recieve redemptiom
and with keats and places i spoke about how seasons and weather in certain places reprsesent emotions

hope ive gone along the right lines :/

what did you write about ??

Well for the piper I mainly talked about language and the structuring of the stanzas, roman numerals etc and the magical aspect of "rat-land".

For B I spoke of the piper, porphyria's lover and the bishop orders his tomb and I partially agreed with the statement but in some poems like the bishop orders his tomb the most striking thing is religion and moral irresponsibility.

Part B I spoke of the valley of ashes, the eyes of ecklesburg and Nick's house with the clock Gatsby almost knocks over. In Auden I spoke of things like lack of description showing a shallow and empty life in Miss Gee and a dark and depressing tone created in 1st september 1939 from the language used to describe New York. Also how the urban setting is significant in As I walked out One Evening. In Curious Incident I spoke of how the setting and the way Chris reacts to it is significant because it exposes various areas of Chris's character which I went into more detail on.

This time I implemented strengths and weaknesses of each interpretation so that may cover for the lack of structure and form which in this choice of questions was difficult to relate back to the question with.
Reply 445
AHEM. Let's move over to THIS thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29426488#post29426488 - to discuss post-exam, shall we? :biggrin:
Reply 446
How did everyone's resit exam go?
Reply 447
Original post by adeola93
How did everyone's resit exam go?

You'll find most people here :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29426488#post29 426488
Original post by Liam_G
I'm in a similar situation to you, I got an A in my coursework and a C in my exam (one mark off a B :frown:)... Which means I got a mid-B overall, which is higher than my predicted but my teachers still said I could re-sit if I wanted (which I do). I was disappointed with that mark, I expected a little better if I'm honest... but I think it was mainly due to the fact that I didn't follow the AOs at all :rolleyes:, I didn't really think it was that important, so long as I wrote a good essay... turns out it was (quite obviously)

HAHAHA. I'm exactly the same. I got an A in my coursework and a C in the exam...64/80 (just scraped an A for c/w) then 83/120 for the exam last year, one mark off a B. I just never revised for the exam because I was revising for my other time-consuming subjects: biology, chemistry and maths. LOL! So yeah. How did you find the exam this time round? I REALLY revised so hard for this exam, and I think it went rather well. Definitely better than last year, where I did not really consider the AOs! :biggrin:
Reply 449
Original post by Harry Potter's sidekick
HAHAHA. I'm exactly the same. I got an A in my coursework and a C in the exam...64/80 (just scraped an A for c/w) then 83/120 for the exam last year, one mark off a B. I just never revised for the exam because I was revising for my other time-consuming subjects: biology, chemistry and maths. LOL! So yeah. How did you find the exam this time round? I REALLY revised so hard for this exam, and I think it went rather well. Definitely better than last year, where I did not really consider the AOs! :biggrin:

Wow, we received really similar marks (I got quite a low A in c/w too!)

I honestly don't think I've done any better this time around :frown:
I've had loads of exams this January (six), and Eng Lit kind of fell behind sadly :colondollar:
I told my teachers that I thought it went quite badly, but they said that my vocabulary and writing style has improved quite vastly over the last year and that I will have probably done better than I think.

I was so unbelievably panicked before and during the exam, I've never been so nervous (I literally couldn't tell the time when I was in there).

Oh well, It's over with now and I can forget about it until March... when all will be revealed :s-smilie: Hope you do well!
Original post by Liam_G
Wow, we received really similar marks (I got quite a low A in c/w too!)

I honestly don't think I've done any better this time around :frown:
I've had loads of exams this January (six), and Eng Lit kind of fell behind sadly :colondollar:
I told my teachers that I thought it went quite badly, but they said that my vocabulary and writing style has improved quite vastly over the last year and that I will have probably done better than I think.

I was so unbelievably panicked before and during the exam, I've never been so nervous (I literally couldn't tell the time when I was in there).

Oh well, It's over with now and I can forget about it until March... when all will be revealed :s-smilie: Hope you do well!

HAHAHA. Yeah, it's quite strange! I only had 5 exams, including 2 general studies exams. So I had time to focus on English revision too. In the exam, I finished 10 minutes early, which was quite strange as I thought I was on time with my essays. But I finished early, and checked through my Section Aa essay and Section B essay. Before going over them, I wasn't too sure how I'd done. But having read them, I think I've done better this time round :smile: Good luck for your results too! What other subjects do you do?
good
Fail
Reply 453
To anyone who took the July exam
can you tell me what the questions for Kite Runner were in the July 2010 exam? thanks :smile:
Reply 454
Original post by srh16
To anyone who took the July exam
can you tell me what the questions for Kite Runner were in the July 2010 exam? thanks :smile:

Pretty sure it was Chapter 10 and the portrayal of women compared to the portrayal of men :smile:
Reply 455
Hi guys, does anyone have the aqa english literature spec b gothic genre January 2011 questions to section A on frankenstein, the bloody chamber and faustus as they're not on the aqa website and I can't find them anywhere!! I don't need to know exactly I was just wondering if you remembered from memory?

Thanks x
Reply 456
Original post by OliviaJP
Hi guys, does anyone have the aqa english literature spec b gothic genre January 2011 questions to section A on frankenstein, the bloody chamber and faustus as they're not on the aqa website and I can't find them anywhere!! I don't need to know exactly I was just wondering if you remembered from memory?

Thanks x

Hi there. I may do... I shall check my college's intranet for you :smile:
Reply 457
Original post by OliviaJP

Thanks x

Faustus - Discuss the view that the play provokes more laughter in the audience than terror.

Carter - “In the stories in The Bloody Chamber Carter is excessively interested in violent
instincts.”
How far do you agree with this view?

Frankenstein - “Mary Shelley presents Frankenstein as fearing his own sexuality and even as having
repressed sexual feelings towards his mother.”
What are your reactions to this view?
Reply 458
Am thinking we need a June 16th A2 thread! Anyone?
Reply 459
Original post by Mizikei
Hi there. I may do... I shall check my college's intranet for you :smile:

Hi
Please can you tell me both the section B questions, also section A for auden please. Thanks

I would be grateful if you uploaded the markscheme here too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending