Same here :biggrin:

it's the fear of the unknown, come on track, UPDATE:biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2901
Original post by Amy124

Haha, thanks :] yeah they seem to be a rare breed on this forum. Ah the methody-bashing :P what school are you at? St Johns, and yourself?

Let's hope you get it, 'twould be good to have another St. John's lawyer!
(I waited about a week after my AES updated to "received by a college" for an offer on UCAS, and then AES said St Johns the other day, about a week after that. Just awaiting the letter now...)
Reply 2902
Original post by riever86
Let's hope you get it, 'twould be good to have another St. John's lawyer!
(I waited about a week after my AES updated to "received by a college" for an offer on UCAS, and then AES said St Johns the other day, about a week after that. Just awaiting the letter now...)

Thanks :smile: yeah i know there's not a lot of st johners on here, probably due to the size but still (: Congrats on your offer! A couple of my friends got offers for law at durham last month but aren't even taking them as they're swanning of to Oxbridge, had a strong desire to just hack into their track and steal their offers:biggrin: so heres hoping i won't have to stoop to such desperate levels :P
Reply 2903
Original post by Amy124
Thanks :smile: yeah i know there's not a lot of st johners on here, probably due to the size but still (: Congrats on your offer! A couple of my friends got offers for law at durham last month but aren't even taking them as they're swanning of to Oxbridge, had a strong desire to just hack into their track and steal their offers:biggrin: so heres hoping i won't have to stoop to such desperate levels :P

Quite. I applied to Oxford too, and was interviewed but didn't get in. There are probably certain advantages to Durham: for instance, I reckon the idea of my entire degree being down to 10 three-hour exams in the final year not too peasant a prospect. That being said, if the Oxbridge itch still hasn't worn off, there's always post-grad. And, I should have thought you'll get your first-choice college this early in the process. Where else are you applying, btw?
Yaaaay !!! Castle!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: So so so happy :biggrin:
Reply 2905
Original post by riever86
Quite. I applied to Oxford too, and was interviewed but didn't get in. There are probably certain advantages to Durham: for instance, I reckon the idea of my entire degree being down to 10 three-hour exams in the final year not too peasant a prospect. That being said, if the Oxbridge itch still hasn't worn off, there's always post-grad. And, I should have thought you'll get your first-choice college this early in the process. Where else are you applying, btw?

Aw that sucks :frown: but I agree, I think the level of pressure they apply on the final year alone doesn't sound too good. Hopefully :tongue: Kings-still haven't heard and offers from Exeter, Queens Belfast and Kent. I'm also applying to the ROI.
(edited 13 years ago)
I still haven't got an offer...and my application hasn't been sent to a college yet. I'm scared. I REALLY, REALLY want to go to Durham, but am scared they won't give me an offer.
Reply 2907
Anyone offers for PPE? Or know when they start to come out?
Reply 2908
Original post by Shyam Devani
Anyone offers for PPE? Or know when they start to come out?

I would also like to know this :smile:.
Reply 2909
Original post by Dirty Diana
Oh no!!!
Do you mind if I ask what your predicted grades, AS grades etc are?

Cheers!

p.s. Congratulations btw

I got all A's at AS and 13 A*s at GCSE :smile:
Reply 2910
Original post by Elf.
I would also like to know this :smile:.

I got an offer from Durham for PPE three months ago :smile:
Anybody non-international heard from Durham for History, yet? I think I may have just got the shock of my life/given up hope having just looked at the Entry Standards for Durham for History, according to The Times' Good University Guide 2011 (which, coincidentally, places Durham second for History, above Oxford for the second year running). It's an average of the UCAS Tariff scores of the A and AS levels of first year students there - and the average for Durham is 510. To put that in perspective - if you got 3 A*s at A-level and an A at AS level (according to my use of the UCAS tariff table which I really, really hope is incorrect), you would be left with "just" 480 tariff points. Less than the average at Durham? So if you got 4 A*s at A-level, you would exceed the average standard by a fair amount, but seeing as this is an average, it would seem that many people do reach that standard. 4 A's at A-level would leave you with 480 points - again, short of the Durham average. I'm not saying that Durham do these calculations and look at their average to work out who to give offers to (it seems unlikely, but then again, it is possible - we know so little about their applications system), so I just hope that this high average is a symptom of the high calibre of student that Durham gives offers to for History, and is not a conscious effort by the department to only give offers to the applicants who have done the most A-levels.

Quite paranoid, as you can tell. And I do not quite reach 510... so at least now a rejection would be far more expected and therefore painless! Headed to Bristol, by the looks of things.

At least I now have practice in over-analysing statistics, this could definitely come in useful during my History degree. Cannot wait.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2912
Original post by number69
I got an offer from Durham for PPE three months ago :smile:

What were you GCSE's and predicted grades like?
Reply 2913
i applied to Durham for Primary Ed, and they're the only ones that haven't replied yet :O
Original post by NotManyExperts
Anybody non-international heard from Durham for History, yet? I think I may have just got the shock of my life/given up hope having just looked at the Entry Standards for Durham for History, according to The Times' Good University Guide 2011 (which, coincidentally, places Durham second for History, above Oxford for the second year running). It's an average of the UCAS Tariff scores of the A and AS levels of first year students there - and the average for Durham is 510.

That's everything that gives you UCAS points added up. So any music grades and stuff like that would be included:smile:

Original post by Amy124
Haha, thanks :] yeah they seem to be a rare breed on this forum. Ah the methody-bashing :P what school are you at? St Johns, and yourself?

I'm at St Pats Knock. And nothing beats a bit of methody bashing:tongue: I've got an offer from Castle :biggrin: just waiting on Kings and Warwick now..
Reply 2915
I'm at St Pats Knock. And nothing beats a bit of methody bashing:tongue: I've got an offer from Castle :biggrin: just waiting on Kings and Warwick now..

Ah nice. Yeah that opinion is generally pretty popular amongst other schools, having a brother at inst doesn't help either :P Oh wow, didn't bother applying there as I knew it was so competitive. I'm still waiting on Kings as well ): do you think you'll be likely to firm Durham?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by NotManyExperts
Anybody non-international heard from Durham for History, yet? I think I may have just got the shock of my life/given up hope having just looked at the Entry Standards for Durham for History, according to The Times' Good University Guide 2011 (which, coincidentally, places Durham second for History, above Oxford for the second year running). It's an average of the UCAS Tariff scores of the A and AS levels of first year students there - and the average for Durham is 510. To put that in perspective - if you got 3 A*s at A-level and an A at AS level (according to my use of the UCAS tariff table which I really, really hope is incorrect), you would be left with "just" 480 tariff points. Less than the average at Durham? So if you got 4 A*s at A-level, you would exceed the average standard by a fair amount, but seeing as this is an average, it would seem that many people do reach that standard. 4 A's at A-level would leave you with 480 points - again, short of the Durham average. I'm not saying that Durham do these calculations and look at their average to work out who to give offers to (it seems unlikely, but then again, it is possible - we know so little about their applications system), so I just hope that this high average is a symptom of the high calibre of student that Durham gives offers to for History, and is not a conscious effort by the department to only give offers to the applicants who have done the most A-levels.

Quite paranoid, as you can tell. And I do not quite reach 510... so at least now a rejection would be far more expected and therefore painless! Headed to Bristol, by the looks of things.

At least I now have practice in over-analysing statistics, this could definitely come in useful during my History degree. Cannot wait.

I'm pretty sure Durham are far more flexible than is sometimes suggested/publicised! I mean, I was fully expecting an immediate rejection from them, because I didn't have millions of perfect AS levels (I got AAAB, and it had been suggested to me once or twice that that would be reason enough for them to reject me... :/), and I'm also taking a gap year (and the History department specifically say they actively discourage deferred applications). But I got an offer, to my great surprise and delight. :smile: So don't worry too much, try not to anticipate anything either way, and see what pans out!! :biggrin:
Reply 2917
Original post by webber8345
omg finally!!! just checked my AES and I've gotten my college. lol took about a month after my offer came through.
I chose and got Hatfield :smile: so so happy! I would've been fine anywhere but I'm just glad I know.

WELL DONE!! what course did u apply for? I applied for hatfield too but havent heard anything yet :frown: when did u apply?
Reply 2918
Original post by Shyam Devani
What were you GCSE's and predicted grades like?

I got all A's at AS, 13 A*s at GCSE and a 'B' in General Studies! General Studies makes me want to cry.
Reply 2919
Original post by number69
I got all A's at AS, 13 A*s at GCSE and a 'B' in General Studies! General Studies makes me want to cry.

Hahaha i'm sooo sorry but that's the funniest thing I've heard.. those insanely amazing grades and then a B in general studies.. lol!

Latest