The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by irtehpanda

Original post by irtehpanda
so i got accepted to study ppe at university college. cheers and mazeltovs all round. here's my question for anyone who's been, though: is it a longboard (skateboard) friendly place? for commuting. i'm american so i can't exactly bring a bike or a car over.

It's hilly and the town centre has a lot of cobbles. You could probably skateboard around the campus though. Depends where your college/department is. Also, Durham isn't very big. You can walk most places.
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by KayteeKaytee
It's hilly and the town centre has a lot of cobbles. You could probably skateboard around the campus though. Depends where your college/department is. Also, Durham isn't very big. You can walk most places.

Durham doesn't have a campus :s-smilie:

But you can walk everywhere, absolutely no need for cars/bikes/skateboards. Also, walking is much more sociable as you can talk to people on your way to lectures/into town, which is really important in freshers!
Original post by angelmxxx

But you can walk everywhere, absolutely no need for cars/bikes/skateboards. Also, walking is much more sociable as you can talk to people on your way to lectures/into town, which is really important in freshers!

Yeah as far as I saw when in Durham, most students walk. Also, the hills make it a bit tiring for biking I would think...:rolleyes:
Original post by nuttynatz

Hello fellow worrier :tongue:.. its good to know I'm not alone :wink:... Apparently Warwaick in particular takes ages.. so irratating, as I'm one of those people who can't even wait a week for an exam mark- so this is just plain torture!:eek::biggrin: (although I did get a nice xmas email from Warwick, saying my application is still under consideration:biggrin:

Have you heard from anyone else? When did you send your application?... mine has been there since October!... but still, my motto right now is No news is freaking good news!!! :tongue:

Good luck with your application!!!:biggrin:

Hello, I sent my application at the beginning of December. I have had offers from Staffordshire University, Lancaster and Birmingham but I am really hoping to go to Warwick or Durham, that's if I get an offer from either of them. You will have to let me know if you recieve an offer! I have been told by many people that no news is good news, but it doesn't stop you getting worried, does it?
Original post by Wedgely
Haha, that's everyone's reaction..."I'm predicted A*A*A*A at A level and got AAAA at As, but I have crappy GCSE's"

"With those grades, you stand a great chance, what subject are you applying for?"

"History"

"Oh....lol!"

:smile:

lol, no, thats not what i meant at all! I just asked what subject and then realised it was listed above so that question was useless.
Original post by jwilliamsbr1
I've got an offer for law from Durham and I'm ecstatic :smile: Applying for Josephine Butler but haven't heard from them yet. How long did it take for people's colleges to reply? :smile: xx

Original post by steffanie
Law JB buddies!
I'm excited because I thought it was just me, haha.
It took about a week before they sent me my letter and little pack thing :smile:

Law JB here too! Fingers doubley crossed for an offer :wink:
When did you guys apply?

Sorry, I know it doesn't, I meant it in a broader sense of "university buildings in an area together" in much the same way as the university website refers to "campus tours".
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by danielsmith
When did you guys apply?

Good luck! JB is the place to be :wink: haha.
I applied in early October, where else have you applied?
Original post by phoeberg
Cuth's - you?

Josephine butler - but i don't mind really!
What were your predicted grades etc?
Original post by danielsmith
When did you guys apply?

Haha, great :biggrin: Eager to meet new people.
Well I applied early October and got my offer through this Friday (Jan 21st) I've heard Durham's notoriously late with law.

Hopefully, as Steffanie said, my college reply will be here in a few days and fingers crossed it's JB. What made you guys choose it? xx
Original post by KS5
Ohh, congrats :smile: and thanks :smile:
I didn't either! Glad that I've got it though!
You going to put Durham as your firm?

Yeah I Am :smile: Are You?
Got my offer in November :wink:

Biomed at Stephenson College. Happy to go to Durham, not happy it's actually Stockton.
Original post by MessyRoom
Got my offer in November :wink:

Biomed at Stephenson College. Happy to go to Durham, not happy it's actually Stockton.

congrats on your offer :smile:

Stockton seems really nice but I know what you mean, a bit on the small side.
Original post by webber8345
congrats on your offer :smile:

Stockton seems really nice but I know what you mean, a bit on the small side.

I suppose it's what you make it. Looking forward to getting to Stockton a couple days early and starting on the festivities. I'm sure they'll be some like minded individuals getting involved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by webber8345
Hopefully!! That would be very cool indeed :smile: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

I've gotten offers from Durham and Sussex so far and I'm waiting to hear from St Andrews and Exeter (lol still a possibility we'd go to the same uni). I also got rejected from Oxford but I'm not all that bothered. Was your's post-interview? Which college were you at? How strange would it be if we were at the same one. hah.

Thanks... haha.. this is just weird, I was serously considering applying to Sussex but chose Surrey instead because of the international programme :biggrin:

Rejected pre interview:frown:.. it was more hurt ego than anything else:biggrin: especially as one of my good friends got an offer from Cambridge :tongue:.. but I know it was a long shot and I'm really not that upset. Applied for New College in the end, was considering Merton, but I prefered New College :biggrin: and you?
Hi, to those who may like to know, it can take a while for a reply! I applied early Nov, got an offer mid-December and the college accepted me last week. I applied for Archaeology at Cuth's. I chose it because it's the only college with a semi-catered option, but now I'm not sure whether I should go for fully-catered. Anyone know what the food's like there? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aliceshirley
Hello, I sent my application at the beginning of December. I have had offers from Staffordshire University, Lancaster and Birmingham but I am really hoping to go to Warwick or Durham, that's if I get an offer from either of them. You will have to let me know if you recieve an offer! I have been told by many people that no news is good news, but it doesn't stop you getting worried, does it?

Congrats... 3 out of 5!, Thats really good. I know, Warwick and Durham seem pretty notorious for keeping you waiting, and despite the whole no news is good news thing, it is still a very irratating saying! :biggrin:

Don't worry, I'll let you know... same to you. Good luck!
Thanks... haha.. this is just weird, I was serously considering applying to Sussex but chose Surrey instead because of the international programme :biggrin:

Rejected pre interview:frown:.. it was more hurt ego than anything else:biggrin: especially as one of my good friends got an offer from Cambridge :tongue:.. but I know it was a long shot and I'm really not that upset. Applied for New College in the end, was considering Merton, but I prefered New College :biggrin: and you?

Ah yea, that's a shame. though to be fair, law is craazy competitive whereas most of the people for my course were interviewed. My course (human sciences) was very small and was only at 8 colleges. i went to Wadham but I really wasn't a fan when I was there and I didnt really get on with the tutors so that's alright.
My godsister went to new college, it seemed really cool.

haha thats funny about sussex :smile: I'd originally been planning to apply there for human sciences as one of the few universities to do it but they cancelled the course this year so i just decided to apply for anthropology there as i liked the course too.
Original post by rebeccap
Any Chemistry Natsci's got offers yet???
Still only 'received by department' on aes

Hiya :smile: I'm a Chem Nat Sci and I got my offer just about two weeks back, got rejected from castle but Trevelyan gave me an offer last week - rather disappointed it's not a Bailey college but at least it's Durham.

Don't worry :smile: there's still more than a month to go and the departments still making offers. My friend whose amazingly brilliant hasn't heard back yet for maths. Youre still just as likely to get an offer though maybe not your first choice college :/. What college are you applying for? Good luck! Hopefully I might see you there in October!
Original post by steffanie
Good luck! JB is the place to be :wink: haha.
I applied in early October, where else have you applied?

Thanks! Definately, though I started regretting it after I looked at the map and saw JB is the furthest you can get from the law department! :wink:
I've applied at Bristol, Nottingham, York and Bangor. What about you?

Original post by jwilliamsbr1
Haha, great :biggrin: Eager to meet new people.
Well I applied early October and got my offer through this Friday (Jan 21st) I've heard Durham's notoriously late with law.

Hopefully, as Steffanie said, my college reply will be here in a few days and fingers crossed it's JB. What made you guys choose it? xx

I applied late October so logically it would make sense for me to get a reply after you guys!
I chose JB as I'd rather have self catered, I just wouldn't feel right in catered with no communal area so to speak etc. Think I'd enjoy the experience more than being cooped up in my room most the time! :wink:

Latest