The Student Room Group

D1 or S2 for AS Further Mathematics?

S2 was incredbly hard in June 2010, if there is a paper like that again, it could completely destroy any person's soul and confidence in AS Further Maths. However D1 is at AS standard and is quite straightforward although one could deem it to be proper Maths.

Considering FP1, M2 are already being pursued as well as S1 and M1.
I find Mechanics very straightforward, Statistics is more exciting than Decision.

What are your experience with Statistics 2? Or would you choose Decision 1?
Original post by intellectual1
S2 was incredbly hard in June 2010, if there is a paper like that again, it could completely destroy any person's soul and confidence in AS Further Maths. However D1 is at AS standard and is quite straightforward although one could deem it to be proper Maths.

Considering FP1, M2 are already being pursued as well as S1 and M1.
I find Mechanics very straightforward, Statistics is more exciting than Decision.

What are your experience with Statistics 2? Or would you choose Decision 1?

Firstly are you self teaching or do you have lessons? And I'm self teaching AS FM already done FP1, M1, S1 and pursuing M2 however I'm choosing between D1 and FP2. Obviously D1 is easier however I can't stand it what so ever and am very strongly debating FP2, I'll have to make my mind up soon though!!
Reply 2
Original post by Freerider101
Firstly are you self teaching or do you have lessons? And I'm self teaching AS FM already done FP1, M1, S1 and pursuing M2 however I'm choosing between D1 and FP2. Obviously D1 is easier however I can't stand it what so ever and am very strongly debating FP2, I'll have to make my mind up soon though!!

I'm self teaching AS FM. The cdrom is very useful with the Edexcel books. I'm afraid if the S2 paper is anything like the June 2010 paper, then it would demoralise me...it's the only paper that looks very different hmmm D1 is not particuarly difficult, although make a slight error and the entire question is lost. S2 at least carries on from S1, and is'nt that demanding at all.

You can do FP1, FP2 and M2 for AS Further Maths? So which would you choose? D1 or S2? or would FP2 be the more wiser choice since universities love Mechanics and Pure modules the most hmmm
Original post by intellectual1
I'm self teaching AS FM. The cdrom is very useful with the Edexcel books. I'm afraid if the S2 paper is anything like the June 2010 paper, then it would demoralise me...it's the only paper that looks very different hmmm D1 is not particuarly difficult, although make a slight error and the entire question is lost. S2 at least carries on from S1, and is'nt that demanding at all.

You can do FP1, FP2 and M2 for AS Further Maths? So which would you choose? D1 or S2? or would FP2 be the more wiser choice since universities love Mechanics and Pure modules the most hmmm

Well if you've already applied then it won't make any difference and if you haven't it might be a slight advantage however it looks much harder. I guess it totally depends on how confident you are with your pure maths. Have you done C3/C4?
I might consider doing D1 and FP2 since I want to learn FP2 but have D1 just incase I get less than 70UMS on. I'm on OCR so can't compare to Edexcel
Reply 4
Original post by Freerider101
Well if you've already applied then it won't make any difference and if you haven't it might be a slight advantage however it looks much harder. I guess it totally depends on how confident you are with your pure maths. Have you done C3/C4?
I might consider doing D1 and FP2 since I want to learn FP2 but have D1 just incase I get less than 70UMS on. I'm on OCR so can't compare to Edexcel

My offer is dependent on 3 A-Levels only. A good grade in AS Further Maths will help in the event of Biology falling short of excellence hmmm

I've heard OCR is much more demanding...some ridiculously challenging papers in recent times?

FP2 on Edexcel is quite ok, Inequalities, Series, Further Complex Numbers, First and Second Order Differentials, Maclaurin Taylor Series and Polar Coordinates.

FP3 on the other hand is far more challenging with Hyperbolics, Further Coordinate Systems, Vectors, Matrix Algebra, Integration and Differentiation of Hyperbolics...

I know that FP2 content will be more relevant and useful, than either S2 or D1. Edexcel revised their spec recently, so it is quite ok, although still very challenging, I would'nt have considered AS Further Maths prior to the 'revised' specification! :smile:

Sounds like FP2 is rather different on OCR? What kind of topics? Similar to the above? hmmm D1 is'nt actual maths is it?
OCR's further maths is a lot better than Edexcel's.
I don't think you can take FP2 for AS with Edexcel.
Reply 6
Original post by j.alexanderh
OCR's further maths is a lot better than Edexcel's.
I don't think you can take FP2 for AS with Edexcel.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf

If you turn to page 16. It says FP1 and "Application or FP unit" and "Application or FP unit"

So it is possible to have FP1, FP2, FP3 for AS Further Maths. Or FP1, FP2 and M2 or virtually any units not done at Maths, as long as FP1 is completed.

OCR has set some very tough papers in recent times...the Edexcel have been too but it is FP3 that has the more demanding challenging topics of study.
Reply 7
I'd go with S2. Really quite easy, not that different to S1. D1 on the other hand, is frustrating, time-consuming, boring and quite different to what you've done before. However, I'm only halfway through D1 at the moment, whereas I'm on the last part of S2, so I may not be doing it justice.
Reply 8
Original post by Stormwhite
I'd go with S2. Really quite easy, not that different to S1. D1 on the other hand, is frustrating, time-consuming, boring and quite different to what you've done before. However, I'm only halfway through D1 at the moment, whereas I'm on the last part of S2, so I may not be doing it justice.

Have you seen the June 2010 S2 paper for Edexcel? It was a very tough paper indeed...so different to past papers....

I agree that S2 is certainly easier....

D1 is much like learning a new language like German or French lol

You find D1 more challenging and likely to achieve your lowest UMS score in it?
Reply 9
It's not so much that D1 is more challenging, it's just more time-consuming, so I'm more likely to rush and make stupid mistakes.

S2 on the other hand, is just remembering formulae, definitions and hypothesis testing.
Reply 10
Bit of a cliché, but D1 is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I am currently doing A2 maths now, and out of all the modules I've done, D1 has been the best. It's mainly a mix between it being easy, and different to the standard boring maths. I took the exam in January so obviously I don't know how I did yet, but I think I did a lot better than I did in C3.

I say pick D1, but the choice is yours.

Ensue neg rep from the 'real mathematicians'... :tongue:
Reply 11
Both equally easy/hard but in different ways. D1 is easily conceptually, but the questions are a torture. Once you do enough past papers, its fine. I find S2 -alright, but it is a 2 module afterall, how did you find S1 is the question I suppose
Original post by cfang99
Both equally easy/hard but in different ways. D1 is easily conceptually, but the questions are a torture. Once you do enough past papers, its fine. I find S2 -alright, but it is a 2 module afterall, how did you find S1 is the question I suppose

How do people come across these old threads?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending