Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
Original post by pianofluteftw
Yay congrats! When did it change? :smile:
*Secretly hoping for a change... soon...*

Didn't want to disturb, but I just had to tell you I love your signature :redface:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Sappho
Didn't want to disturb, but I just had to tell you I love your signature :redface:

Oh thank you! My friend sent it to me as I love owls and apparently it sums my attitude to life up! :tongue:

And I am intrigued as to what Latin quote yours was before :smile: (having read below and your current signature)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sappho

Sorry for more non-Durham talk, but I used to love yours as well. I don't understand why TSR would be against Latin quotations.
Reply 3683

no idea, managed to forget to check for 2-3 days *shrug*
good luck with yours
Reply 3684
Oh thank you! My friend sent it to me as I love owls and apparently it sums my attitude to life up! :tongue:

And I am intrigued as to what Latin quote yours was before :smile: (having read below and your current signature)

It used to be "Quodsi tam Graecis novitas invisa fuisset quam nobis, quid nunc esset vetus?" (Q. Horatius Flaccus): "But had the Greeks hated novelty as much as we do, what would be old now?" (Horace)
It's a pity that I have to put a translation this time. Maybe we should apply for a revolution...:rolleyes:

Original post by Sempiternitas
Sorry for more non-Durham talk, but I used to love yours as well. I don't understand why TSR would be against Latin quotations.

No-one does. Also, why on earth can't they make TSR show foreign letters? :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Are you going to be firming Durham then?
Reply 3686
does anyone know if the post-application open days 22nd/23rd March are just for students or whether you can bring family along too?
Original post by KendallG
does anyone know if the post-application open days 22nd/23rd March are just for students or whether you can bring family along too?

There's a finance talk for parents run by the University at some point (think it's the second day) but your parents won't be able to stay in college or go to the subject talks with you.

Best thing to do is for you to go up on the 22nd, stay overnight in college so you get to do the evening activities and have dinner, go to your subject talk in the morning after breakfast and get your parents to meet you at lunchtime in Durham.

Then you can take them on a self-guided tour of Durham (the website has maps and a suggested route) and tell them about the talks you've had.

There should be college tours for your college on afternoon of the 23rd which you could take them to, and there's a finance talk at some point - it should say on your open day timetable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3688
hey, how long did people wait to get a letter from their allocated college after they got an offer?
Original post by Sappho
It used to be "Quodsi tam Graecis novitas invisa fuisset quam nobis, quid nunc esset vetus?" (Q. Horatius Flaccus): "But had the Greeks hated novelty as much as we do, what would be old now?" (Horace)
It's a pity that I have to put a translation this time. Maybe we should apply for a revolution...:rolleyes:

Ah I like it! (And I got it from the Latin too :wink: - no need to translate TSR! Just to add to my objection of it having to be removed) :smile:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Are you going to be firming Durham then?

Yes! Still waiting for an offer but if I get one literally as soon as possible it will be firmed! :smile:
Reply 3691
w00t offer for physics
Yes! Still waiting for an offer but if I get one literally as soon as possible it will be firmed! :smile:

ah which subject?
and what do u know about music opportunities at durham?
Original post by LukethePianoMan
ah which subject?
and what do u know about music opportunities at durham?

Physics :smile:
From what I've been told and heard, many of the colleges have their own big bands (both brass, concert and orchestras) and choirs, as well as practice rooms and lots of student ensembles!
I really want to go there for the music as well! :smile: (I do A level - piano, flute, voice and recorder :wink:)
Original post by Misiak
w00t offer for physics

CONGRATULATIONS! :biggrin:
When did you hear (and how?) :smile:
Original post by rmerz1
hey, how long did people wait to get a letter from their allocated college after they got an offer?

2-3 weeks.
Reply 3696
CONGRATULATIONS! :biggrin:
When did you hear (and how?) :smile:

literally 5 minutes ago, ucas track email :smile:
wording of the grades is a bit odd though
Physics :smile:
From what I've been told and heard, many of the colleges have their own big bands (both brass, concert and orchestras) and choirs, as well as practice rooms and lots of student ensembles!
I really want to go there for the music as well! :smile: (I do A level - piano, flute, voice and recorder :wink:)

High five! Well I'm doing Maths and Physics, but still very similar!
I hope to join the college orchestra, I'm going for St Marys, what about you?
And the brass bands too
I read today that Durham have a brass band festival!!!
I play trombone and piano. I did my diploma in piano as I'm not going to music college, but I still feel I am really bad at it!
Original post by Misiak
literally 5 minutes ago, ucas track email :smile:
wording of the grades is a bit odd though

So well done to you! :smile:
Why what does it say? :s-smilie:
Reply 3699
So well done to you! :smile:
Why what does it say? :s-smilie:

GCE A level
Grades AB in any order in
Mathematics