The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by RanmaSyaoran
I got an offer on Saturday (my internet has been down so I've only found out now) and I gave the person a ring. I'm on an access course (as a mature student) so I've been offered a standard conditional offer but it isn't on the UCAS site yet.

What was it that made you feel uncomfortable about SOAS? I wasn't able to go on their open day. I'm not to worried about living fees as I'm bound to get in debt at some time in my life :\

Mine isn't on UCAS either yet. I don't feel like asking about it since I might end up coming over as pushy, or I'll say something stupid, or whatever... :s-smilie:

RE: Uncomfortable at SOAS (this is totally subjective)
Location is one thing. I don't have student debt and don't plan on making any soon. Financial security is nice. Given how much I earn with my part time job, debt would be inevitable for me if I'd live in London though.

From what I heard at least, there is no typical "uni experience" at SOAS, and if you don't find your circle of friends, you're pretty much isolated. Since I'm a shut-in, I don't think I'd survive it. Also, it felt like an oversize language school (like those places that put up ads in the tube) when I went there to do the N5 JLPT.

I also think that SOAS is more focused on the language itself, while Sheffield focuses more on language and culture. My current Japanese teacher went to SOAS and confirmed that assumption when I asked about it. She's a native Japanese though, so she probably did linguistics or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 441
Original post by ozair
I really am =D Do you know what University they send you to in your 3rd year?

I'll know by this time next year! There's quite a few unis to pick from, as far as I know we will be asked for our preferences (eg. Tokyo/outside Tokyo). I hope I can do well in my exams, it'll hopefully keep my options open.
Original post by ozair
I really am =D Do you know what University they send you to in your 3rd year?

Original post by tstar-x
I'll know by this time next year! There's quite a few unis to pick from, as far as I know we will be asked for our preferences (eg. Tokyo/outside Tokyo). I hope I can do well in my exams, it'll hopefully keep my options open.

Akita University
Chuo University
Doshisha University
Hiroshima University
Hosei University
International Christian University
Kanazawa University
Keio University
Kobe University
Kyoto University
Meiji University
Nagoya University
Okayama University
Otaru University
Rikkyo University
Seijo University
Sophia University
University of Tsukuba
Waseda University
Yokohama University

However i believe 1 or 2 have been added.
Reply 443
Hey guys, I'm really stuck on which uni to choose, it's so hard. I'm applying to:

Oxford brookes - Japanese & Philosophy - conditional
SOAS - Japanese - pending
Leeds - Japanese & Philosophy - conditional
Sheffield - Japanese - conditional

I visited a leeds open day yesterday and it seemed pretty awesome, but so many people are saying how good the course is at sheffield. I'm looking for a really intensive and well structured course and a decent balance between culture and learning the language, so it's a toss up between leeds and sheffield...WHICH TO CHOOSE?! Urgh, it's so hard? :frown:

I really liked the look of SOAS too but I don't like the idea of living in London, or the way it's been described by students/ex students on here - it's come over as really strange/weird ?

gahhhhhhh
Reply 444
Original post by Kortnie
Hey guys, I'm really stuck on which uni to choose, it's so hard. I'm applying to:

I visited a leeds open day yesterday and it seemed pretty awesome, but so many people are saying how good the course is at sheffield. I'm looking for a really intensive and well structured course and a decent balance between culture and learning the language, so it's a toss up between leeds and sheffield...WHICH TO CHOOSE?! Urgh, it's so hard? :frown:

I really liked the look of SOAS too but I don't like the idea of living in London, or the way it's been described by students/ex students on here - it's come over as really strange/weird ?

gahhhhhhh

Sheffield should've sent an invite to their departmental open say, so you could attend that to help you with your decision.
Original post by Kortnie

gahhhhhhh

I was in your position too, but what made me decide on Sheffield was the fact at Leeds your year abroad is in your second year, at Sheffield its your 3rd. Think how much better your japanese will be in your 3rd year as opposed to your second year. However now my second year is nigh I get jealous of people doing korean here (who go in their second year) XD! Also, if you love japan, you only have to come back here for a year then you can go back :biggrin:
Original post by Kortnie

gahhhhhhh

omg im in the same position!!!! i need to visit sheffield too on the open day. Either Japanese at sheffield or Economics and japanese at leeds :confused::confused:
Reply 447
Hello, just joined the student room. I've been following this thread with a lot of interest so I finally decided to join in! :biggrin:
I am half Japanese, but I have lived in England since I was five so I don't really know how to speak Japanese very well and I have no idea how to read or write any kanji. I really love Japan and eventually want to live there, so I decided to study Japanese.

I applied to Sheffield, Leeds, SOAS, Edinburgh, and Manchester.
I have a good conditional offer from Manchester (overall B), and was sadly rejected by Sheffield and Leeds which were my first choices. I'm trying to decide whether I should ask why I was rejected or just leave it. I understand why at Leeds, because the only language I've studied is Japanese and that was on Rosetta Stone (the first schools I went to in England didn't teach languages and I was 16 by the time I got into one that taught French, as a lame excuse...)...:colondollar:

Anyway, nice to meet you all and I hope everyone has a successful application! :smile:

Teru
Reply 448
Original post by terujoan
I'm trying to decide whether I should ask why I was rejected or just leave it.

Definitely ask about it. Easiest way is probably to call. Check Leeds' and Sheffield's website for the procedure.

What does the Japanese side of your family think about your plans by the way? Are they supportive?

RanmaSyaoran
<nothing>

Sorry for quoting you in, but I can't use PMs on here. Since you also got an E-Mail from Sheffield, did your offer show up on UCAS yet? Mine hasn't. I called their main admissions line yesterday and they said it'll probably show up by next Friday. They couldn't tell me the conditions for some reason, which I found odd. :s-smilie:
Reply 449
Original post by avila
Definitely ask about it. Easiest way is probably to call. Check Leeds' and Sheffield's website for the procedure.

What does the Japanese side of your family think about your plans by the way? Are they supportive?

I was thinking about e-mailing since I tend get tongue tied on the phone but I'll ask my teachers what they think and maybe phone. Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Well, my mum, who is British, kind of wanted me to do something else but didn't really mind. My dad, who is Japanese, just wants me to do whatever I want and is very supportive. He said it will be hard but he thinks it will be good. As for my Japanese grandparents, they just want me to go back to Japan. So yeah, I think I could say my Japanese side is supportive! :biggrin:
Original post by avila
Sorry for quoting you in, but I can't use PMs on here. Since you also got an E-Mail from Sheffield, did your offer show up on UCAS yet? Mine hasn't. I called their main admissions line yesterday and they said it'll probably show up by next Friday. They couldn't tell me the conditions for some reason, which I found odd. :s-smilie:

Nothing for me yet, I'm not too worried about it as I'm really patient.

They are probably not allowed to tell people conditions due to red tape. (It has to go through UCAS / every student would be ringing up to ask.)
Reply 451
Original post by avila

Since you also got an E-Mail from Sheffield, did your offer show up on UCAS yet? Mine hasn't. I called their main admissions line yesterday and they said it'll probably show up by next Friday. They couldn't tell me the conditions for some reason, which I found odd. :s-smilie:

My friend had his offer appear on Track about a week after he got a letter, so it'll probably show up eventually.

I'm going to go to the SEAS Open day on March, but planning transport is such a pain. I'm coming from Kent so I swich between two services, and the train to London costs twice the amount of the train to Sheffield from London:angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
To all who have firmed/thinking of firming Sheffield, I think you should create a facebook group like we did for 2010: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=246152960275
Its a good way to meet ppl doing the course as well as current students. It was by this group that we arranged a get together prior to uni starting, it was good. :smile:
Reply 453
Will I be an outcast for not having Facebook? D:
Reply 454
Original post by avila
Will I be an outcast for not having Facebook? D:

I use mine sparingly. I suppose it'll be helpful for getting to know coursemates before the semester starts.

But people got by before facebook, you'll be fine :biggrin:

EDIT: Saw you got an unconditional from Sheffield in the applicants thread. Congrats! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 455
Original post by Susant
I use mine sparingly. I suppose it'll be helpful for getting to know coursemates before the semester starts.

But people got by before facebook, you'll be fine :biggrin:

Guess I'll make a basic profile on there later.

Original post by Susant
EDIT: Saw you got an unconditional from Sheffield in the applicants thread. Congrats! :smile:

Thanks. (n_n) Really looking forward to Sheffield.
And now that I won't get panic attacks whenever my computer goes "meeru da-yo!" I can actually focus on finishing my current degree, heh.
(edited 13 years ago)
My friend (doing mandarin) went to Sheffield yesterday, and she said the mandarin students go abroad on their 2nd year and this applies to Japanese too :frown:

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Reply 457
Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3
My friend (doing mandarin) went to Sheffield yesterday, and she said the mandarin students go abroad on their 2nd year and this applies to Japanese too :frown:

Going by everything thats on their website and structure for the Japaneses course, I don't think it's changed. It seems somewhat under the radar if it were true.

Maybe your friend misheard? :dontknow:
Yeah, my point exactly.
I refuse to believe it 'til i see it...
Original post by NeonJellyBabies<3

No its still 3rd year, they have no reason to change it as far as im aware. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending