The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xxxchrisxxx
You've backed up your case with a very compelling argument.

:rofl:

I'd +1 Rep you but my allowance has run out!
Reply 21
Ahh the Daily Mail says it so it must be true...

I'd rather have foreigners in this country then people like the EDL and BNP.
Reply 22
Original post by Sushidelight

Picture 1 = the scum of British society.

Picture 2 = An Asian Dr. trained in western medicine.

Don't see the relevance to the discussion ?
Original post by N.A.T.O
:rolleyes:

I see so we stole all their precious metals. :rolleyes:

And we are not responsible for wealth distribution in Africa, Africans are responsible for wealth distribution :rolleyes:

Not all but a lot of them yes. I cant see an average african in a position for buying them. Net travel out of the country where the price is quadrupled or more.

there are more materials but I cant be arsed to mention them because you obviously just see ALL people with african heritage as a waste of space and a drain on your economy.

Don't think that the situation in african is in any way connected to the after effects of colonialism then. Good to know you are making a well rounded argument.

I don't think I can be arsed to talk to a racist troll to be honest I don't even know why I commented on this thread. It's just going to make me angry.

Good luck for stopping immigration. Like that will happen anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
The funny thing is that Rome was built largely by immigrants and OP is using it as an argument against immigration.

Lmao.
Reply 25
Original post by Eveiebaby
Not all but a lot of them yes. I cant see an average african buying them.

Don't think that the situation in african is in any way connected to the after effects of colonialism then. Good to know you are making a well rounded argument.

I don't think I can be arsed to talk to a racist troll to be honest I don't even know why I commented on this thread. It's just going to make me angry.

The after effects if colonialism ? Do you mean colonialism contributing technology, science, engineering, medicine, infrastructure, engineering, economics, agricultural methods (that feed the whole of sub saharan Africa)

Is that what you mean by the after effects of colonialism ?
Original post by N.A.T.O
The after effects if colonialism ? Do you mean colonialism contributing technology, science, engineering, medicine, infrastructure, engineering, economics, agricultural methods (that feed the whole of sub saharan Africa)

Is that what you mean by the after effects of colonialism ?

See my post edited.

And no thats not what I mean. I could carry this debate further and explain more but I don't want to waste my time.

Good luck abolishing immigration. You'll need it.

Reply 28
Firstly, migrants from abroad actually put more into the economy than they take out, making everyone in the UK better off. For example, have a look at this peer-reviewed journal article http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-0270.2005.00541.x/abstract (if you're at a university, you should have access to read it online, if not you can get the gist from the abstract at the beginning)

Secondly, OP, the picture on the right is probably not a picture of the housing of kind of people to migrate to the UK. Individuals who want to move must have at least enough money in the first place to get to Britain, so they're usually from the wealthier parts of the societies they come from.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by N.A.T.O
Picture 1 = the scum of British society.

Picture 2 = An Asian Dr. trained in western medicine.

Don't see the relevance to the discussion ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6931303/NHS-brain-drain-fears-raised-by-appeal-to-Indian-doctors.html

I hope one day, you get "treated" by a Chav, I really do. :colonhash:
Reply 30
Oh one of these again? Yep, we need to tighten up the immigration process but this isn't about that - you hate black people. Difference. http://inventors.about.com/od/blackinventors/a/black_inventors.htm Have a read of this, and maybe you'll realise how immigrants have fundamentally improved things like heart surgery etc in history. Ignoramus. Also lol at your pictures of huts, there are people in the UK living in caravans or that are homeless, you do realise that those are the poorest in the country who can't even afford to immigrate. Take a look at the cities:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/84701600_9001e8431e_b.jpg
OH DEAR
Reply 32
Original post by Alhae

Nothing good will come to a first world country by turning it into the one on the right.

Go back to handing out BNP leaflets, intelligent debate is above you.
Reply 33
Well how about I compare Angola to Britain and and show some state of the art building in Luanda and compare it the Aylesbury Estate in south London?

Selective pictures only show the authors intentions, not the actual state or comparison of things.

Original post by N.A.T.O
White civilisation

Ironic how the picture depicting white civilisation has the guy sitting down high above in expensive gear looking down on all the **** he has caused. Although I doubt that was the angle you were going for.
Reply 34
Original post by N.A.T.O
I am refering to sub saharan Africa.

Oooooooh my bad. Now everything you are saying makes sense !

See when you said 'immigration needs to stop' i thought you just meant everybody who isn't from the UK, shouldn't live here. But now i see that you mean that lots of evil people from the sub saharan belt are invading the UK as we speak, with the mission to destroy our society/culture/religion and turn us all into them! (and personally victimize you.)

Now i get it. How blind i have been. We are all doomed!
Original post by N.A.T.O
Erm no, we are advanced due to the renaissance, the industrial revolution etc. The holy empire of rome 2000 years ago was more advanced than Africa was 100 years ago.

Yet our glorious western education system hasn't taught you the rather massive difference between the Roman Empire and the Holy Roman Empire :rolleyes:

Speaking of the Roman Empire, there were several African Empires which proved to be very worthy adversaries: The Selucids, Carthage, Numida, Egypt... to name but a few.

The only real point of divergence between Africa and Europe was, as you pointed out, the renaissance - but what began around this time? Oh yeah, the slave trade, colonialism... :facepalm:

China was light-years ahead of the West during the renaissance, it has been quipped that Henry VII had 6 books in his library, 2 of which were on loan from a monastery, meanwhile in China, the then-Emperor had a library comprising over 20000 volumes - the collected knowledge of the civilisations the Chinese had encountered, including physics and mathematics.

So should we worship the Chinese as you worship Aryan super-men? :dontknow:

And what exactly are we supposed to have stolen ? The reason for colonialism in Africa was to secure trade routes to the far east and India.

Yeah ok, we never seized governance and thus economic control over anyone :teehee:

Did what were we supposed to have stolen ? All their fruit and veg ? :confused:

300 years of industrial development, and its rewards.

Colonial powers stunted the growth of their vassal states, and took for theirselves what little growth there was.

Ireland was colonised for many centuries longer than Africa, and now look at Ireland.

Ireland had a system very similar to the rest of Western Europe, thus when we imposed our ways on them, it did not hinder progress - also, they booted us out every 100 years or so, and were eventually successful.

Africa on the otherhand, is not land that can be farmed by a large population. There was no poverty in Africa pre-colonisation, simply because there were far fewer people, and they weren't even trying to take the same course as Western European Civilisation (i.e. large-scale agriculture). But in come the Europeans - "No you can't hunt Wildebeest for sustenance now, you must grow crops in the rock-hard, sun-baked soil of the savanna". See where everything went wrong?
Original post by LaidBaqq
Wow. Somebody needs to do some more research.

Ancient Egypt ring any bells? Where was that? Ah , yes Africa.

I think you'll find that the general consensus is that Egypt was seen as the most 'advanced' ancient society.

Go and read some books before you embarrass yourself further.

That depends entirely upon the time period you're eluding to, and even then there are plenty other peoples you could argue to be at least as, if not more, advanced.

sry bb. Just because the general public believe something doesn't make it true.
Reply 37
Original post by Barden
China was light-years ahead of the West during the renaissance, it has been quipped that Henry VII had 6 books in his library, 2 of which were on loan from a monastery, meanwhile in China, the then-Emperor had a library comprising over 20000 volumes - the collected knowledge of the civilisations the Chinese had encountered, including physics and mathematics.

So should we worship the Chinese as you worship Aryan super-men? :dontknow:

Yeah ok, we never seized governance and thus economic control over anyone :teehee:

300 years of industrial development, and its rewards.

Colonial powers stunted the growth of their vassal states, and took for theirselves what little growth there was.

I am very well aware of Chinas contribution to knowledge and science and I salute them for it. I don't know what you mean by aryan super men. I do not believe that any race is superior of another, if thats what you are implying

And what do you mean we took control of sub saharans economy ? What economy ? :rolleyes: And what growth ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Only one thing needed here: :fuhrer:
We have to remember that the UK is a very desirable place to live (some bits) and that even the nastier bits are better than what they're used to at home, i work with a lovely Polish lady, and she gets much more out of living here than she would at home. She says that unemployment, and rising food prices especially are making it difficult over there, and Poland isn't a poor country. Immigration adds depth to our culture- but only when coupled with INTERGRATION. I think a lot of people miss the fact that when people are allowed to immigrate with very poor or no English and have no way of settling into the society then people become wary of them and that isoloates both sides unfortunately. Our biggest problem comes from having had a series of spineless governments, especially the last labour one. There's nothing wrong with immigration when it is balanced by both emmigration and intergration.

Also, if certain areas of society didn't think they were better than minimum wage or cleaning, or carer work, then there wouldn't be that many jobs for the immigrants to "take", and if more people were in work the benefits system would be significantly less appealing.

The probablilty of anything actually changing however, is miniscule, so why complain when there's very little you can do to change it? Why not try and help them instead?

Latest

Trending

Trending