The Student Room Group

Head of Japanese Plant breaks into tears admitting radiation leak will kill people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367684/Nuclear-plant-chief-weeps-Japanese-finally-admit-radiation-leak-kill-people.html

The dude burst into tears claiming he should have not hidden the info from the mainstream for so long.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
poor man :frown:
Reply 2
I was going to click the link but then I read the "dailyfail.co.uk"...
I feel so sorry for him, and all those effected.
I had a nightmare that I died in a nuclear explosion last night. Not poking fun or anything but I was actually scared. Woke up all sweaty and panicked.

Feel so sorry for all those people.
Reply 5
Original post by The Russian

you complete idiot. this news is real.
Original post by mangoh
-rep, are you serious? How can u feel sorry for someone that had information to prevent a nuclear disaster and kill potentially thousands of people?

Oh I'm sorry, didn't realise he personally caused the tsunami.

And you have no rep power you clown. :colonhash:
Reply 7
Damn, my Tamagotchi has just died from exposure to radiation :frown:
Reply 8

Everyone that has ever said 'daily fail' deserves to be exposed to lethal levels of radiation.
Hard to know how to feel tbh. On the one hand I feel sorry for him, on the other his company could be accused of negligence. Yes it was a very very big earthquake, but if you're going to have nuclear power stations in somewhere like Japan, they should be strong enough to withstand anything.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12785274

This gives a different view on things.

Quite a good read.

Actually the Daily Mail's coverage of Japan has been quite good imo. A bit sensationalist at times with its writing, but for images it's been second to none.
The people actually working in and around the plant trying to help are the real brave ones. It's like Chernobyl when people volunteered to go inside knowing they'd die a slow and painful death of radiation poisoning.
Original post by Student2806
Hard to know how to feel tbh. On the one hand I feel sorry for him, on the other his company could be accused of negligence. Yes it was a very very big earthquake, but if you're going to have nuclear power stations in somewhere like Japan, they should be strong enough to withstand anything.

They had earthquake and tsunami contingencies, contingencies that worked at Fukishima Daini plant down the coast from the stricken plant, but they failed at this plant. There's only so much you can do.

I really feel for the poor guy, and everyone in Japan. It's hard to imagine devastation on that scale.
Original post by darknessbehold
you complete idiot. this news is real.

How am I an idiot? I know more about this and follow this story more than most people that I know and I have a good knowledge of radioactivity, because I collect various radioactive artefacts. The only reason I said the above is because of the generalisation of the "dailyfail" phrase, and also because I have gotten used to them coming out with headlines of "Private school kids 500000 more likely to go oxbridge", etc. I know what is going on so don't go down the 'ignorant' line on me. Unfortunately I do not live in Japan, so I cannot go to the exclusion zone, because I would if I could, just to publicize the truth.

Original post by concubine
Everyone that has ever said 'daily fail' deserves to be exposed to lethal levels of radiation.

Tbh, I could do that to myself if I really wanted to, since I have the means to, but I choose not to.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The whole dailyfail thing is getting a bit boring now. If you don't want to read articles from the website, don't comment in the thread with the same pseudo meme. The news is real, newspapers and websites just report on the story.

Unfortunately I cannot believe anything the daily mail says, due to their habits in over sensationalising pretty much everything. I choose to follow around 5-6 news feeds from all around the globe to actually get a slightly clearer picture of the situation because we cannot avoid bias in news. I do not disagree with the reality of the news, but anyone (including me) can tweak and doctor the information given for a given/wanted purpose.

I cannot help but feel sorry for all those affected by all the disasters affecting Japan currently, and unfortunately it may get even worse. There are people on the receiving end of crazy doses of radiation just to try to stop any further radiation release, just like the situation in Chernobyl. I know the horrors of radiation, I was born with a deformed hand, and I have had to have corrective several corrective surgeries on it. I am able to sympathise with the people affected and I think my username clears up any doubt of my nationality and where I came from.

I have already said this many times (not here), but I genuinely pray for all the victims of all of these disasters, and the only reason I posted here, was to state my opinion of the daily mail, but I have now realised that these comments are not welcome anymore (they were popular, before), and I understand my mistake. I know I will get neg rep as is the tradition on here with mistakes (see sig for my phrase). 1 comment has caused me to type the above, which will undoubtedly will not be read "tl;dr" by everybody.

But I am glad that the censoring of the information about the current situation there has sort of reversed, although I understand their reasons behind it (to limit panic, etc.), but at the same time it is this misinformation that may lead to further damage/death. This was one of the things which made Chernobyl the disaster it is.
Reply 15
Original post by Luke0011
Damn, my Tamagotchi has just died from exposure to radiation :frown:

Grow up you maggot
Who are the "Fukushima 50" -- the workers trying to take regain control of Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant?

Twitter messages and blog posts by the workers' families offer an inkling of the "Fukushima 50," so nicknamed because the 180 employees at the site work in 50-person shifts.

One of the workers is a veteran power plant worker, a 59-year-old who volunteered to take on the assignment, according to Jiji Press, a Japanese news wire service, quoting a woman who claimed to be his daughter on Twitter. The job puts him at risk of exposure to dangerous amounts of radiation that could cause death or lead to a higher risk of cancer.

Photos: Crisis continues in Japan

"I fought back tears when I heard that my father, who is to retire in six months, had volunteered," @NamicoAoto wrote. "At home, he doesn't seem like someone who could handle big jobs?but today, I was really proud of him," she wrote. "I pray for his safe return."

@nekkonekonyaa said her mother wept when her father left work to head to the nuclear plant. "Please dad come back alive," she said in her tweet.

Power plant employees were running out of food, read one e-mail from a worker's daughter.

"He says he's accepted his fate. Much like a death sentence," the e-mail said, which was read aloud on the national television network, NHK.

It has been reported that five employees of the operator of the nuclear power plant, Tokyo Electric Power Co., known as TEPCO, have died and 22 have been injured since last week's massive earthquake and tsunami.

Michiko Otsuki, an employee who evacuated from Fukushima No. 1 (Daiichi) on Monday, expressed pride in the coworkers who stayed behind.

"The staff of TEPCO have refused to flee and continue to work even at the peril of their own lives. Please stop attacking us," Otsuki wrote on her blog, which has since been taken down but was reprinted by the Singapore newspaper Straits Times.

Otsuki said employees at the plant worked bravely after the magnitude 9 quake, after the plant lost power and alarms sounded.

"We carried on working to restore the reactors from where we were, right by the sea, with the realization that this could be certain death," Otsuki wrote.

"The machine that cools the reactor is just by the ocean, and it was wrecked by the tsunami. Everyone worked desperately to try and restore it. Fighting fatigue and empty stomachs, we dragged ourselves back to work."

Otsuki apologized for the unfolding disaster.

"To all the residents [around the plant] who have been alarmed and worried, I am truly, deeply sorry," she wrote.
(edited 13 years ago)
I feel sorry for this guy. More sorry for the innocent civilians of Japan, but this guy is in an absolute nightmare situation.
Original post by Sushidelight
I feel so sorry for him, and all those effected affected.

*twitch*
:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending