The Student Room Group

Living in halls as a mature student... ?

Hey Im currently debating on whether to go private or halls for first year at Uni...

Has anyone else decided to choose one of the above and if so what reasons did you use?

Im 24, sociable and like to have a good time, but certainly at Uni to work hard, work a couple part-time jobs and aim high - So Im abit worried at the thought of living in 'halls', where it can apparently get abit crazy, with young 18 year olds let loose for the first time in their life, all night parties and fire alarms going off at all times (exaggerating my point abit)

Im no shrinking violet or anything, but Im wondering if private might be better...

Would love to hear from anyone else who is/has decided on accommodation, or even better some mature students who have lived in halls?

Im going to UCLan, and will be relocating from Bristol so no option to keep current flat.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AidyD
with young 18 year olds let loose for the first time in their life, all night parties and fire alarms going off at all times

it may depend on which hall you are put in
when i was at university i requested to be put with other mature students

this was great and had no troubles with loud music or partying
there were fire alarm tests though :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Est.
it may depend on which hall you are put in
when i was at university i requested to be put with other mature students

this was great and had no troubles with loud music or partying
there were fire alarm tests though :tongue:

ahh ok didnt realise you could do this - thanks I will look into doing the same..

Dam fire alarms tho... Was hoping to escape flat 5s bad cooking skills and setting off the alarm twice a day but oh well!
Reply 3
I say go for it, at 24 the age difference is not that great, and if you are quite sociable then halls will be the easiest way to make loads of friends and have a good time. I'm 27 and living in university halls, it may seem a bit weird at first, but you'll soon get used to it, and a lot of the craziness will die down after a while.
Reply 4
Ah thanks for the reply - Thats part of the dilemma for me really, Im not 'that' much older, and do enjoy nights out, being sociable and get on with anyone, but dont want to be a stereotypical student :tongue:

But you say you get used to it and its not really that bad so Il def go halls, and enquire about flatmates being mature but not worry too much about it - cheers. Im so easily swayed..
Reply 5
Original post by AidyD
Ah thanks for the reply - Thats part of the dilemma for me really, Im not 'that' much older, and do enjoy nights out, being sociable and get on with anyone, but dont want to be a stereotypical student :tongue:

But you say you get used to it and its not really that bad so Il def go halls, and enquire about flatmates being mature but not worry too much about it - cheers. Im so easily swayed..

I know the fix you're in. I'm 24 too, heading back to uni for the second time as I was a young blooded 18 year old first time round and it all went tits up. Like you, I'm no shrinking violet but certainly want to be there to work. Added to that, I also don't enjoy getting leathered and like to be fresh in the morning - a change from my younger days. Like another poster said, you can usually ask to be put in with mature students/internationals who are more likely to be thinking along the same lines as yourself. Personally I'm not even considering private accomodation as I'm scared it will place me too far out of the loop and I do actually want to enjoy myself after some knuckling down!

Ultimately, I just know I value personal space a little more these days and I think you're more likely to get that with other mature students.
Reply 6
Should be fine. Some unis will put mature students with postgraduate students, and when I was in private halls last year they had one block for second and third years and the other blocks for freshers.

You'll also make friends on your course, and go out with them sometimes too :smile:
Reply 7
At 24 you would be one of the youngest in my block. And this is just a regular hall - no special 'mature student' flat or anything.
Reply 8
Original post by AidyD
Hey Im currently debating on whether to go private or halls for first year at Uni...

Has anyone else decided to choose one of the above and if so what reasons did you use?

Im 24, sociable and like to have a good time, but certainly at Uni to work hard, work a couple part-time jobs and aim high - So Im abit worried at the thought of living in 'halls', where it can apparently get abit crazy, with young 18 year olds let loose for the first time in their life, all night parties and fire alarms going off at all times (exaggerating my point abit)

Im no shrinking violet or anything, but Im wondering if private might be better...

Would love to hear from anyone else who is/has decided on accommodation, or even better some mature students who have lived in halls?

Im going to UCLan, and will be relocating from Bristol so no option to keep current flat.

Hi AidyD I also stayed in University in halls of residence myself in my first year of my degree and i was 29 yrs of age so much older than you are now. living away from home and in halls especially,is a experience in itself and yes we did have a few fire alarms going off mainly at nighttime around about 11:30 pm and a few at 4am in the morning but thats university life AidyD i wouldnt worry about the negatives more the postitives like meeting new students from different walks of life on your degree courses,taking part in the various social and student union activities and joing a few clubs.

My advice AidyD is check out your accomodation options,did you get chance to visit UCLAN before accepting their offer and more to the point did you check out the digs when u were at UCLAN? as its rather important to check out the various accomodations open to you so attended any open days they offer if not already done so.

That way you will have a better insight into the range of accomodation that is available to you.Thats what i did when i first went to University,not just look around the department where i was going to be doing my degree but also what facilities and ammenties they had.

You might have already done this,as you didnt mention if you had or not so if you had and its feasiable for you to do so i suggest u take that opportunity ie open or visit day or if there is a applicant day organised by UCLAN for example

If i ever went back into halls of residence and could afford it i would pick the ensuite accomodation rather than the non-ensuite accomodation really but thats me,every potential undergraduate student is different and it really depends on what type of accomodation you want to stay in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Ah thanks for the replies, agree with all of them, and I am def going halls, with en-suite.
Just need to wait for my student ID to come through now..

Yes wizardtop, I did visit the place, I am happy with everything to be honest, just a little doubt at how I would be with young 18 year olds running around, although age has never been an issue before, going back to college on access, and seeing how 16/17 year olds act I find it amazing how immature they are, and dont remember myself being like that (well I was working and had my own place by 17, but plenty of partying!)

But Im not the sort to harshly generalise, maybe its abit of nerves too. Anyway these replies have eased my nerves alot - thx.
Original post by AidyD
Ah thanks for the replies, agree with all of them, and I am def going halls, with en-suite.
Just need to wait for my student ID to come through now..

Yes wizardtop, I did visit the place, I am happy with everything to be honest, just a little doubt at how I would be with young 18 year olds running around, although age has never been an issue before, going back to college on access, and seeing how 16/17 year olds act I find it amazing how immature they are, and dont remember myself being like that (well I was working and had my own place by 17, but plenty of partying!)

But Im not the sort to harshly generalise, maybe its abit of nerves too. Anyway these replies have eased my nerves alot - thx.

I am sure you be fine then AidyD and best of luck with ur degree and university life :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by wizardtop
I am sure you be fine then AidyD and best of luck with ur degree and university life :smile:

Thanks man Im really lookin forward to it - cheers
Original post by AidyD

One of my friends is at UCLan and knows a mature student who lives in halls with other mature students, so maybe you could ask if you could be put with others? It's a bit of a risk being put with the typical uni students. Some might be fine and only really be crazy during freshers week and the few weeks after, but I know some people who have to live with people who are still having flat parties several times a week until the early hours :/
I think I must have had a bad experience of halls because I found it to be all of those awful stereotypical things with no positives. I wasn't even much older, only 21, but I hated every second of it. It was pretty much all night parties most nights even a good few during in exam times. I dont think anyone cleaned or washed up in the whole year and being greeted with a shower covered in vomit is not something I need to start my morning. I'd definitely go for post grad halls if you have the chance, sharing with a bunch of 18year olds who had never left their parents before was a hellish experience for me.
Reply 14
Definitely ask if you can go in with older students or postgrads.

I was only 19 when I went to uni but was in a flat with mainly older people ranging from 21 to 27, it was definitely a much more pleasant experience than the 18 year olds next door seemed to be having!

You have a nice combination of a bit of party/going out/social student life but with people who are old enough to appreciate the value of an occasional early night, a well cooked meal and a clean bathroom!
Reply 15
I'm having the same issue atm.
I'm off to DMU, Jan 2012 to do Adult Nursing and have to decide whether to travel from Notts to Leiceter every day or go into halls and leave my house (and mortgage -yay!) partner of 5 1/2 years and family just for the first year so i can get back into the swing of things. Im 22 but will be 23 when i start. I know its not really that 'mature' or anything but i want to go to do well.
I've not heard much from older students going into halls but I've heard real horror stories about cleanliness and stealling. I know there is a chance i'll get put with young and old alike but my biggest fear is becoming a cleaner and leaving my house with a messy man. :frown:

Does living in the halls make it any easier (in terms of studying? library usage and such?)??
I'm in the same boat. Starting Goldsmiths in September aged 25. I've opted to stay in a postgrad hall seeing as there aren't any halls designed for mature students. I'm also opting for an en-suite room so that my only worry in a worst case flatmate scenario will be the kitchen.
Reply 17
Original post by _brody_
I'm off to DMU, Jan 2012 to do Adult Nursing and have to decide whether to travel from Notts to Leiceter every day or go into halls and leave my house (and mortgage -yay!) partner of 5 1/2 years and family just for the first year so i can get back into the swing of things. Im 22 but will be 23 when i start. I know its not really that 'mature' or anything but i want to go to do well.
I've not heard much from older students going into halls but I've heard real horror stories about cleanliness and stealling. I know there is a chance i'll get put with young and old alike but my biggest fear is becoming a cleaner and leaving my house with a messy man. :frown:

Does living in the halls make it any easier (in terms of studying? library usage and such?)??

Are there no couple or family halls at DMU?
Original post by _brody_

Brody - I'm also starting at DMU (Adult Nursing) in Jan 2012 and as I live in Nottingham will be commuting to Leicester everyday. Being 34, married and with a daughter my situation is a little different to yours but the principle is still very similar.

One thing to bear in mind is that they say nursing students are unlike other students and perhaps there is an important reason for that, given just how much of the course you will be spending 'at work' on placements rather than in lectures and how much more full time the nursing diploma/degree is compared to many other qualifications.

Something I have noticed with UofN nursing students is that quite often they will move into digs well away from non-nursing students in their 2nd and 3rd years in order to avoid the distractions that living within the general student populace brings.

At the end of the day though its down to what you will be most comfortable with. You're not alone in your doubts (there is someone called 'Sophie' on here who is also starting Adult Nursing in Jan 2012 at DMU who is asking the same question) and only you can really make that decision.

Something to bear in mind though is how you handled being at home during previous study. Have you recently done A-Level or Access to HE whilst living at home? How did you find it?

Anyhoo, look forward to meeting you in Jan.
Reply 19
my friend was in a similar situation - he went to uni later aged 23 - and spent his first year in halls he hated the experience found it really hard to have things in common with everyone and found it harder to make other friends with older people because he was then living with younger students. From thsi experience anyway it would seme best to look into other options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending