The Student Room Group

International Quota

I have a British passport and am half British myself but have lived abroad my whole life. I know this doesn't qualify me for homestatus, but does it still put me within the International quota that the UK government has put on medical schools? I'd like to know , just because it'll actually help me decide if I want to do medicine or not :smile:. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by zincoff
I have a British passport and am half British myself but have lived abroad my whole life. I know this doesn't qualify me for homestatus, but does it still put me within the International quota that the UK government has put on medical schools? I'd like to know , just because it'll actually help me decide if I want to do medicine or not :smile:. Thanks!

Same situation as you. I have a british passport and I am legally a british citizen. Unless you are living in the EU countries, I'm afraid you'll be counted as an international applicant.
Reply 2
Okay, thank you :smile:. How much more competitive is it for international students in comparison to home students? By any chance do you have any figures?
Reply 3
Original post by zincoff
Okay, thank you :smile:. How much more competitive is it for international students in comparison to home students? By any chance do you have any figures?

The universities never publicize international statistics but I would have to say it is much harder as an international applicant because you have to remember that you'll be competing with people from all over the world. There is also a limit on how many international students each university can take. e.g. Oxford - 8 Sheffield - 18 So when applying, you shouldn't only look at the requirements for entry but also the number of places available.

That said, medicine is an extremely competitive career and if you really want to study medicine, there is no harm in applying. Why back out before you have even tried?
Reply 4
I'd like to be a doctor, but it's sort of a career that I've thought I might choose because no other science course at university seems ideal for me- because of that I don't think I necessarily have no passion for it, but that it isn't at great as a lot of other people and that therefore if the competition is higher, it'd be even more unfair for me to take someone else's place :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending