The Student Room Group

Clearing grades

What are the most common popular courses that open up for clearing and do any of the top universities keep some seats for students who get higher than predicted in their finals? I’m particularly looking for business management. And dream choice would be Manchester.
Nearly all subjects are available in clearing and which ones will differ in each universities. Top universities dont enter clearing and dont hold spaces for students who have done better than their predictions.

There are just over 1/2 dozen universities that typically done offer clearing places at all. Others offer some courses in clearing where they havent been able to fill them.
Reply 2
Typically its 'hard to fill' courses and every Uni will have some of these. Unusual subject-combinations, courses involving languages or other 'A level shortage' subjects etc are the most common degree subjects in Clearing.
Reply 4
Just be aware that
a) some of the courses on the list above were only for International applicants
b) every year is different - so do not assume the same courses at the same Unis will be available this summer.
Reply 5
Thank you so much this really helps. It’s luck I guess I was under the impression some seats are held back for better grades in the popular courses so there could be chance.
Reply 6
Original post by Aramsay
Thank you so much this really helps. It’s luck I guess I was under the impression some seats are held back for better grades in the popular courses so there could be chance.

No - Unis won't do this because a) its not fair on those who did apply at the right time and b) risky, because they might not fill 'reserved' places at Clearing.

When A level results are announced, all those Firm offer holders who have met their offer conditions, they are 'in'. The same happens to any applicants who missed their Form place elsewhere but meet the offer for their Insurance place.

Most Unis will then look at 'near miss' applicants to see if any of them can fill any remaining places (if there are any places, there may not be). Those with mitigating circumstances etc will get priority here. Unis usually prefer to fill spaces from existing 'near miss' than go into Clearing (its a reputational thing), so only of they can't fill any remaining spaces from 'near miss' will they put a course in Clearing. This is why sometimes there are 'International' spaces only and not 'UK' spaces - they have all the UK applicants they need, but have not filled their specific International target quota for that course. Hope all that makes sense - ask more questions if you need to.
There’s also some universities that will have some courses open in clearing asking for their standard offer requirements. Those aren’t spaces “held back” but more courses with some spaces left or the capacity to take a couple of extra students with good grades.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
There’s also some universities that will have some courses open in clearing asking for their standard offer requirements. Those aren’t spaces “held back” but more courses with some spaces left or the capacity to take a couple of extra students with good grades.

Ok this could be what I’m looking for. Hoping to get a chance of the final grades are what I want them to be. There is hope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending