The Student Room Group

Year of disasters

Scroll to see replies

I die a little bit inside whenever I see 2012 mentioned around current affairs.
Reply 21
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Erm.... the Mayans did not make prophecies about the "end of the world" - that was a silly modern phenomena.

And, a major contributing cause to these disasters are non-green technology (e.g. cars, planes etc) and population increase.

However, the current state of things are nothing to get scared over (in the 1800s, if the Japanese earthquake had occurred then, we would have seen millions dead...).

However, if we do see a large scale earthquake (9+ magnitude) in London, for example, then we should be worried.... very worried....

Very true.

The mayans didn' say the world would end, that's jsut when their calendar went up to.

Thats why our success to build technology is our downfall.

True, but people in England wouldn't have heard about it much.

Yep.
Original post by S_123
Ouch. People aren't numbers.

So how do you define 10 people?
Humans ARE numbers. How else could we quantify how many people have died in Libya for example.

Humanity really needs to grasp the concept it is an animal, just as insignificant as a greenfly.
Original post by Lack of Creativity

Original post by Lack of Creativity
I die a little bit inside whenever I see 2012 mentioned around current affairs.

You must be on your death-bed, then?

Here, let me help you get to heaven quicker...

2012 - Planet Nburu!! Ahhh. :ahee:
Original post by lonelykatana
Humans ARE numbers. How else could we quantify how many people have died in Libya for example.

Humanity really needs to grasp the concept it is an animal, just as insignificant as a greenfly.

No, nowhere near as insignificant as a "greenfly". Humanity is highly important on the planet - whether in negative importance or positive importance. In the far-off future, if the Race still survives, Humanity would be far more important in the Solar System and even Galaxy - again, even if in negativity or positivity.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
No, nowhere near as insignificant as a "greenfly". Humanity is highly important on the planet - whether in negative importance or positive importance. In the far-off future, if the Race still survives, Humanity would be far more important in the Solar System and even Galaxy - again, even if in negativity or positivity.

I was talking about in the grand scheme of the universe/time.
I agree with what you said though.
Reply 26
Look at any year and I mean ANY YEAR and you will find that somewhere around the world a natural disaster occurred. Unfortunately, these things are happening all the time...
Roll on 2012...
Reply 28
Original post by ohdearnevermind
Roll on 2012...

Yeah and 2013 an-

...oh wait.

Hang on... why does the first year of non-existence have to be 2013? What a lucky year it is!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm pretty sure there are 'disasters' every year...
Reply 30
Original post by lonelykatana

You count humans in numbers but you can't dispose of them in the same way. The person I quoted said 'the population of the world is too big anyway' which I thought was harsh. Of course we have a population problem but saying the above quote when so many people are dying implies that the person I quoted thinks all these natural disasters are a good thing - almost like a cull on humans. I thought that was entirely inappropriate and insensitive. We may be insignificant in the bigger picture, but those people that died were significant to somebody, and I doubt the person I quoted would have said that if it was somebody they loved that had died.
Original post by S_123
You count humans in numbers but you can't dispose of them in the same way. The person I quoted said 'the population of the world is too big anyway' which I thought was harsh. Of course we have a population problem but saying the above quote when so many people are dying implies that the person I quoted thinks all these natural disasters are a good thing - almost like a cull on humans. I thought that was entirely inappropriate and insensitive. We may be insignificant in the bigger picture, but those people that died were significant to somebody, and I doubt the person I quoted would have said that if it was somebody they loved that had died.

Oh then I agree 100%!
Im not very good at reading context behind comments sometimes :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Borobocconi
Everywhere you look there are earthquakes, floods , tsunamis, revolutions and famines.

I know that some of this may be due to increased coverage of disasters but too me it just seems there is too many of them occurring

I'm not really a believer in the 2012 prophecies but I am a little worried...

Too many of them occurring? Please tell me, how many were supposed to occur? These things happen every year...
Reply 33
Guess its that time of the century for Mother Earth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending