The Student Room Group

Exams start in 2 months - how much revision will be required to get a high 2.1?

I'm guessing a 1st is out of the question, but bearing in mind i have worked moderately hard (i.e. prepared well for MOST of my seminars), if i give up my life for the next two months will i still be able to score about 68 for the year? I'm a 2nd year law student.

About how many hours revision a day do you think will be required?

Any tips for revision welcome...

Reply 1
none ur a ganstaa cheese
Reply 2
I don't think it all hinges on how much revision you do. Other critical factors might be:

- How much you understood of the teaching in the first place.
- Quality of your revision.
- How smart you are.

I doubt there is simply a formula of how many hours you revise = certain grade.
Original post by Clip
I don't think it all hinges on how much revision you do. Other critical factors might be:

- How much you understood of the teaching in the first place.
- Quality of your revision.
- How smart you are.

I doubt there is simply a formula of how many hours you revise = certain grade.

Absolutely. To get a decent - high 2.1 you can't cram or revise everything. You have to work consistently well throughout the semester. A high 2.1 has to show a very good understanding of the material enough to be critical of the law to a very high standard. This cannot be achieved for a whole module unless you're told the topic beforehand and spend the revision period on that.

It all depends on how much prep you did in the first place and what you have missed - you say you prepared well for most seminars - does this mean there's still things you need to cover? If so it's not really revision if you're looking at some stuff for the first time!

In the weeks leading up to exams I revise/practice questions etc for 6-9 hours a day
Reply 4
Original post by Carbolic Smokeball
Absolutely. To get a decent - high 2.1 you can't cram or revise everything. You have to work consistently well throughout the semester. A high 2.1 has to show a very good understanding of the material enough to be critical of the law to a very high standard. This cannot be achieved for a whole module unless you're told the topic beforehand and spend the revision period on that.

It all depends on how much prep you did in the first place and what you have missed - you say you prepared well for most seminars - does this mean there's still things you need to cover? If so it's not really revision if you're looking at some stuff for the first time!

In the weeks leading up to exams I revise/practice questions etc for 6-9 hours a day

I think in two months of sustained work, based on moderate work in term, a good 2:i is definitely possible. You need to work *smart*, and be ruthlessly selective. Looking at past papers and figuring out what you need to know, and what you can skip without penalty, is crucial. This will vary from one uni to another.
Original post by jjarvis
I think in two months of sustained work, based on moderate work in term, a good 2:i is definitely possible. You need to work *smart*, and be ruthlessly selective. Looking at past papers and figuring out what you need to know, and what you can skip without penalty, is crucial. This will vary from one uni to another.

I agree but within that sustained work period will the OP also have further seminars to prepare for and lectures to attend as well as any coursework to complete? It all depends on the University and the structure of the course but, for example, at Sheffield there is only one week between the end of lectures and seminars and the beginning of the exam period which they give us as a reading week so the rest of the time you've got to juggle quite a bit.
Reply 6
Original post by Carbolic Smokeball

Done most of my reading now, trying to get a good understanding before starting revision at easter. I'm hoping having attended the seminars (apart from 3!) and by doing all the compulsory reading i will manage.
hopefully.......
Original post by blair150
Done most of my reading now, trying to get a good understanding before starting revision at easter. I'm hoping having attended the seminars (apart from 3!) and by doing all the compulsory reading i will manage.
hopefully.......

That's good. Hopefully you can finish all the seminar prep at Easter and then spend all the time you have after Easter on revision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending