The Student Room Group

Hardest A Level Science????

Poll

Hardest A Level Science?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dropped out of Physics in the first week because I was finding it too hard... I'm managing biology and chemistry fine... soo Physics. :smile:
Reply 2
I think a lot of people would automatically say physics, but I like the more quantitive mathematical aspects of physics so I find chem harder out of the two because there's a lot of remembering to do!
I hate just remembering facts, i'd much rather be able to understand and remember how to do something so I could deal with whatever came up in the exams as opposed to just having to remember lots of facts and conditions and if and buts etc. :smile:
Reply 3
Physics.
Reply 4
I find Physics pretty easy... but I absolutely hate Biology and Chemistry. I think its what you enjoy that makes the difference here.
Reply 5
You know...it really depends on the person.
I found chemistry severe...the organic chemistry is a kiler!
I've been finding biology ok, it don't love the subject but I don't really find it that hard, yet my friend who is hoping to get an A* in chemistry is really hoping she can get a B in biology.

I always think it's like this (I'm not sure about physics)
The content in chemistry is very quite difficult to grasp, learn and understand. However, if you know and understand the content, in the exam you will be fine.
However the biology content is easy, yes it's a fair bit to learn, but it doesn't take that much. However the tricky bit is the actually exam questions, you can completely understand the content but some of the questions are just like... what the ****...?
I think chemistry just because of the amount of rote learning you have to do. Physics is learn and understand a theory and apply it. Much easier to a logical brain.
Reply 7
Original post by hothedgehog
I think chemistry just because of the amount of rote learning you have to do. Physics is learn and understand a theory and apply it. Much easier to a logical brain.

Exactly what I was attempting to verbalise - you just did it way better though :tongue:
If you study Mathematics with Mechanics modules and at Further Mathematics, alot of it is essentially the content in Physics. Chemistry is the hardest A-Level, Ali Moen Nawzish who holds the Guiness World Record for the most A grades in A-Levels, had a B grade in Chemistry. Which proves that it is the hardest Science A-Level. Biology is not too difficult, although alot of memorising....Physics is very easy if you study Maths Mechanics modules. Chemistry however has a huge number of topics, it is also one of the most respected subjects by admissions tutors for all kinds of degrees.
Reply 9
Original post by intellectual1
If you study Mathematics with Mechanics modules and at Further Mathematics, alot of it is essentially the content in Physics. Chemistry is the hardest A-Level, Ali Moen Nawzish who holds the Guiness World Record for the most A grades in A-Levels, had a B grade in Chemistry. Which proves that it is the hardest Science A-Level. Biology is not too difficult, although alot of memorising....Physics is very easy if you study Maths Mechanics modules. Chemistry however has a huge number of topics, it is also one of the most respected subjects by admissions tutors for all kinds of degrees.

Not on AQA then, this Ali Nawzish fella. Biology is ridiculous, the exams are a game of guess! Chemistry is eeeeeeeeasy if you understand it :smile:
Reply 10
Biology because it's really boring, I only do Chemistry and Biology and neither are hard, but biology is more boring
Reply 11
Chemistry. Physics basically just requires mathematical skill and the ability to memorise particular information, plus said information seems more obvious. Biology is mass-memorisation.
Non. They're all very easy, especially at A Level.
well i do physics and chemistry- i find chemistry harder, but i did half a year of history and was in tears over more Es from two hour essays, then i ever was from chemistry problems.
Reply 14
physics
Original post by keds1
Not on AQA then, this Ali Nawzish fella. Biology is ridiculous, the exams are a game of guess! Chemistry is eeeeeeeeasy if you understand it :smile:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132200/The-boy-set-getting-Cambridge-got-22-A-levels.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/31/article-1132200-033F9064000005DC-986_468x408.jpg

It shows that Chemistry and Further Maths are probably the two most challenging A-Level subjects.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by intellectual1
It shows that Chemistry and Further Maths are probably the two most challenging A-Level subjects.

*it shows that HE found chemistry the most challenging A Level subject. I reckon languages are completely solid, so if I was him my B [or probs D LOL :')] would be in french or something. Everyone is different! :smile:
Reply 17
Its definitely chemistry.....errrm actually non of the subjects are easy..... for bilogy u gotta memorise the most, probably more than any other arts subject like Geog or Hist, for physics u need to undertand the concepts, just knowing formulas will only help u pass, but for CHEM....arrrrgggghhh, u need to memorise A LOT, apply, use maths and the concepts are so abstract, every chapter in organic has so much to study and i am barely passing my mini tests :frown:
chemistry by far.
Reply 19
I find maths and physics quite easy, especially compared to chemistry. I guess because there's just so much to remember in chemistry. You can't usually work out the answer logically, you have to know it.

Quick Reply

Latest