The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Mujeriego
What kind of crappy, half-arsed poll is this? There are four 'yes' options, one ambivalent and one 'no' option that makes anyone who clicks it look like a fundamentalist.

Er, there appears to me to be two situational 'yes' options, one standard 'no' option, one fundamentalist 'no' option, and one ambivalent option.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Yep. In fact, it would be a lot better without any religions.

Many people in the world have nothing to live for except religion.
To be honest if an impartial cost benefit analysis was done on religion I think it would be favorable.

Think about it religion brings:
A sense of belonging,
Hope( no matter how false it is),
Spiritual unity,
Restrains people from comiting crimes(this one is a big one that is often overlooked),

The drawbacks:
Radicals(it could be argued that this has nothing to do with religion, political theories have their radicals as well),
illusionnment(as long as the illusion is perfect there is no real damage being done),
Regressive involvment in many subjects such as abortion,stem cell research,cloning and so on(this is the main drawback for me),

This is coming from an atheist by the way however we must think about it this way, these people are happy with their religion.Why try to change them?
We are doing what they do to us.Except their version is believe in what we believe in or we kill you and our version is simply believe in what we believe in or you are dumb/stupid/illusioned.
Original post by Theconomist
Many people in the world have nothing to live for except religion.
To be honest if an impartial cost benefit analysis was done on religion I think it would be favorable.

Think about it religion brings:
A sense of belonging,
Hope( no matter how false it is),
Spiritual unity,
Restrains people from comiting crimes(this one is a big one that is often overlooked),

The drawbacks:
Radicals(it could be argued that this has nothing to do with religion, political theories have their radicals as well),
illusionnment(as long as the illusion is perfect there is no real damage being done),
Regressive involvment in many subjects such as abortion,stem cell research,cloning and so on(this is the main drawback for me),

This is coming from an atheist by the way however we must think about it this way, these people are happy with their religion.Why try to change them?
We are doing what they do to us.Except their version is believe in what we believe in or we kill you and our version is simply believe in what we believe in or you are dumb/stupid/illusioned.

I don't want to change them, I want them to change :wink:

I would never go around proselytizing, telling people that they should abandon god and that religions are false. I just think that we would have been better off if their beliefs had never existed.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
I don't want to change them, I want them to change :wink:

I would never go around proselytizing, telling people that they should abandon god and that religions are false. I just think that we would have been better off if their beliefs had never existed.

Aha but that isn't necessarly true.
Think about it.
Would the world really have been much better without religion?
It's not an easy question and we may never know the answer.
One thing I did notice in weak people was that religion was really the only thing that kept them living their miserable lives.
And by weak I don't mean poor I just mean weak in the spiritual sense(disatisfied etc).
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Look to its Father: CHRISTIANITY!

If you are going to cut off the entire arm, do not just cut off the fingers!

To be honest I would rather burn the whole body.
You missed out an option on the poll which says: 'All religion should be abolished now'
you are soo freaking shameless? what are you exactly trying to do.. okay fine dude you wanna hate on the muslim do it in your own house.. even though im a muslim i would even do this to jews ever cuz i have morals! wtfff
you are wierd! get a life.. if you think ur religion is rite doesnt mean u put down the other religions.. do you think you have a right to do tht?

BITCH YOU GET NO LOVE
DEPRESSED PIECE OF ****
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
WHERE ARE THE ADMINS NOW?
You are the perfect example of an extremist
(edited 13 years ago)
No, I'm pretty sure something else would have just filled its place that people would debate similarly on.
Yes, the world would be a better place if Islam (or any religion for that matter) had never existed. However, the notion of 'getting rid' of a religion is absurd and no more 'right' than getting rid of non-believers. People are entitled to their beliefs, no matter how illogical.

That said, the poll options are completely retarded and unbalanced.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think its the religion itself rather than the extent to which people follow it. Christianity was a massively backwards influence when people based their lives around it, believed literally in the sexist/homophobic/violent things in the bible and countries based their foreign policy around it. I'm living in a Muslim country at the moment and its immediately apparent that religion is an enormous barrier to democracy and economic development - people pray five times a day, fast for a month and Islam is used as an excuse for the region's rulers - who have absolute power - to maintain said absolute power and arbitrarily censor things. But I'm sure this will change... its a development issue and Europe was in this position not long ago, I don't think many Muslims will take their religion as seriously/literally in 50 years time as many do today.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by anonymous 428
you are soo freaking shameless? what are you exactly trying to do.. okay fine dude you wanna hate on the muslim do it in your own house.. even though im a muslim i would even do this to jews ever cuz i have morals! wtfff
you are wierd! get a life.. if you think ur religion is rite doesnt mean u put down the other religions.. do you think you have a right to do tht?

BITCH YOU GET NO LOVE
DEPRESSED PIECE OF ****
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
WHERE ARE THE ADMINS NOW?

:lolwut:

If you were a child living in Africa/Asia and you see your mother blown into 5 pieces, do not tell me you wouldn't become a cold hearted killer
Reply 113
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Look to its Father: CHRISTIANITY!

If you are going to cut off the entire arm, do not just cut off the fingers!

Look at Christianity's father: Judaism.

We could go further back (but it gets messy and contentious).
Reply 114
No.

How else will I get into heaven for all eternity?

:wink:
Without Islam we wouldn't have Chemistry, so if you'd like to live in a world where the composition of most thinks you own or consume is knowledge that branched from islam.. be my guest, i hear theres an uncontacted tribe in Brazil... Join them.
Original post by DJkG.1

Original post by DJkG.1
Look at Christianity's father: Judaism.

We could go further back (but it gets messy and contentious).

Ah, but Judaism - nowadays they seem quite alright. The Christians and the Muslims nowadays are so annoying. But the Jews - never forcing their religion - I do not hear a peep out of them these days - they are so nice - I used to go to a private school packed with them - so rich too...
Original post by xXxiKillxXx

Original post by xXxiKillxXx
If you were a child living in Africa/Asia and you see your mother blown into 5 pieces, do not tell me you wouldn't become a cold hearted killer

It depends on one's personality.

If that was me - I would use this horrible and devastating to my advantage and bring a positive outcome out of it - for example, be successful and/or become leader of the country to sort out the problems similar to those that led to my mother being blown intro "5 pieces" etc etc - but that is just me - an optimist, a futurist, a hopeful, a striver, an enthusiast, etc etc :proud:
Reply 118
You mean would the west be a better place without Islam...the West has managed to kill rape and steal from loads of countries (not just Muslims) The Muslims are the only ones that stood their ground.
after enduring centuries of islamic persecution, the west finally threw off the evil of islamic conquest and slavery at the battle of le panto.

it appears as if europeans have forgotten their own history.

islam has already conquered the eastern christian empire, and it attempted but failed to conquer the western empire...........until now it seems,

islam is not a religion. it is an imperial political ideology.

Latest

Trending

Trending