Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4660
Original post by sanksta
I'm at St. Aidan's.
My problem wasn't a lot of posh people, it was more the whole 'party' atmosphere. I know that that's a massive party of uni and everything but I don't drink and even the student reps seemed really confused when I wasn't joining in with the drinking games, as if I must be some really strange and boring person because I wasn't. And even all of the conversation in the afternoon seemed to be centred around how much everyone was planning to drink that night. I spent most of that bit of the night close to tears but it got a better when the actual party started as it was less obvious who was and wasn't drinking. I suppose all of this is perhaps less of a problem with the college than with uni life in general, which I'm now a bit worried about...
Which college are you at? And what was upsetting you?

Sorry to butt in, but I can really relate to how you felt (though I did have a really nice time and I do drink). I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of clubbing, not my kind of atmosphere - saying that though I do loooove to dance embarrassingly when tipsy :redface: I do drink, mainly because it makes me feel more confident and better at talking to people, and I do like going out, but I feel much better doing it with really close friends. Aaaanyway just thought I'd say you're not on your own with that, it's nice to see someone else with the same issues. I still had a really nice time, the college I was at made it really nice for people staying in, so I'll definitely still firm Durham, I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to :smile:

Edit: neg rep... interesting :s
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4661
Original post by sanksta
I'm at St. Aidan's.
My problem wasn't a lot of posh people, it was more the whole 'party' atmosphere. I know that that's a massive party of uni and everything but I don't drink and even the student reps seemed really confused when I wasn't joining in with the drinking games, as if I must be some really strange and boring person because I wasn't. And even all of the conversation in the afternoon seemed to be centred around how much everyone was planning to drink that night. I spent most of that bit of the night close to tears but it got a better when the actual party started as it was less obvious who was and wasn't drinking. I suppose all of this is perhaps less of a problem with the college than with uni life in general, which I'm now a bit worried about...

I'm at St. Aidan's too, but my problem is not the party atmosphere (loved it). It's either the poor quality of the rooms and the food that really turned me off during the open day. I was really jealous of a friend of mine who stayed at Van Mildert, next to Aidens. I am generally the least picky person when it comes to such things as food etc., I eat what I get and I can sleep anywhere. But firming Durham as your choice is a long-term decison and important, that's why I have become so sceptical with the living conditions at St. Aidens. The party events were really great, but it's so sad that I can't seem to control over the fact that my disappointment for the rooms and the food are dominating my impressions of St. Aidan's now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Keckers
I just firmed my Durham Engineering offer at Collingwood :biggrin: The post application stay was so much fun!

Now I just need to get my head down and get the grades....

I've just firmed Castle for Economics, Warwick rejected me when I got back from the open day so clearly I'm meant to accept Durham!
Original post by babyblossom
was wondering if anyone else had a really awful time on the post app open days? :frown:

oh i'm really sorry to hear that :frown: what happened? I always think that you can't really tell from an open day what the place/ department is like so don't worry! do you have other choices? xx
I went to the cuths open day and it was pretty damn awesome! I love cuths and everyone was just so nice. If im honest i was expecting most people to be posh but it wasnt like that at all, it was just so much fun, and im shy yet i managed to make friends and talk to everyone!

Plus the bar there is extremely cheap haha, and the night out in studio was fun! Especially the whole place singing the cuths song at the end...

Before coming I didnt think i was going to firm durham, but now Im pretty much definitely going to!
I really enjoyed the open days, I went to Durham pretty set on firming UCL, but then had an amazing time at Butler and now have no idea where to firm :frown:
Did anyone else go to Butler? :biggrin:
Reply 4666
thought that cuths was absolutely amazing :biggrin:
Original post by Prels
I'm at St. Aidan's too, but my problem is not the party atmosphere (loved it). It's either the poor quality of the rooms and the food that really turned me off during the open day. I was really jealous of a friend of mine who stayed at Van Mildert, next to Aidens. I am generally the least picky person when it comes to such things as food etc., I eat what I get and I can sleep anywhere. But firming Durham as your choice is a long-term decison and important, that's why I have become so sceptical with the living conditions at St. Aidens. The party events were really great, but it's so sad that I can't seem to control over the fact that my disappointment for the rooms and the food are dominating my impressions of St. Aidan's now.

Ah I had a single room so it was all good! :smile: Which open day were you at? Just checking if I met you really! :wink: The food wasn't great but I was talking to one of the reps and apparently two of the other hill colleges had the same food - it wasn't actually Aidan's catering team as the students had gone home!
But the UV party was rather cool except I somehow still have a huge handprint on the back of my shirt that I don't remember!

Original post by sanksta
I'm at St. Aidan's.

Which open day did you go to? I was there for evening of 22nd and I'm not a big drinker anyway, (and not 18) so I agree it was kind of hard to get by without drinking! But yes, when the actual party started it was all right! :smile:
Aidans open day was an absolute BEAST.

Durham- Firm. Goodnight.
Original post by sanksta
I'm at St. Aidan's.

I can totally relate! My idea of a fun is a evening with mates in a bar and remaining sober enough to actually remember it.
Reply 4670
Original post by rubberdam123
Aidans open day was an absolute BEAST.

Durham- Firm. Goodnight.

I loved it too!! they were amazing.. which day did you go? :smile:
Reply 4671
Cuths was brilliant! People were really friendly... like LITERALLY the friendliest people ev-ah. Joke. But seriously, the people didn't seem that posh once you got passed the change in accent, and every was SO nice and helpful.
And yes, things did center around alcohol a lot, which was fun, but I relate to what others are saying, its not always fun for some (specially if you don't feel to comfortable partying with strangers) and it was a little weird how everything seemed to relate back to booze in some way. I think its partially just to get the vast majority of people a bit more comfortable, I doubt that everyone will be partying it up all the time and there will be others who don't drink, so don't loose hope! One and only thing I would say could have been better was giving us more of a taste of societies and tutorials. But I thought it was a great taste of the college atmosphere :smile:

(Oh, and btw, if any of you were at Cuths on the 22nd-23rd and have 'Meena Qureshi owns this' or something to that effect on your shirt, feel free to send me a messege or fb me...)
Original post by andy1717
I've just come back off the open day for John Snow and firmed my offer, and about 30hours later nothing has changed on the AES.
I'm aware lots of people seemed to be struggling with AES around the time of waiting for offers and branded it useless, but I phoned the accommodation officer for John Snow and she said go on AES and apply asap to ensure I don't miss out on getting a room!

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or will AES just eventually realise I've firmed Durham and an 'Apply for accommodation' link will appear?

It's letting me log in and everything, and it says "A decision has been made".

How did you find the open day? I couldn't go, but I've put John Snow as my firm choice. I might book a tour during the summer, but what were your first impressions?

Also, with the AES, I was in kind of the same boat as you, but I got a letter through the post from them three days after confirming my choices on UCAS Track. When you get the letter, you can apply for accommodation.

Original post by Seentje
I was hoping John snow :tongue: I'm a bit more on the traditional side I guess. Anyone else on here going there?

I am!! What course are you hoping to study? I've applied for biomedicine :smile:
Went to Collingwood Open Day and had a really great time. It was brilliant.
The open-day reps were fantastic, they were all very friendly and most of them were very excited to have us there. They all did a great job and made the whole experience so much easier to handle. Seems like a very friendly and laid-back college as well, which was what I was hoping for. Loved it :biggrin:
Reply 4674
Original post by Seasick Steve
How did you find the open day? I couldn't go, but I've put John Snow as my firm choice.

I'm sure you'll love it - it's all brand new and everything! The accommodation is amazing aswell, with awesome common rooms and every room is en-suite :biggrin:

Everyone at John Snow seemed really nice aswell. I consider myself to be moderately confident and was rather nervous but everyone was open and great!

I'm doing Business and Management :smile:
Original post by Prels

Original post by Prels
Had a great time at St. Aidan's open day :smile: Very friendly and open-minded seniors there - great social environment. However, I may consider to change college due to the quality of the rooms, convenvience etc.

I also had a great time at St Aidan's. Everyone was so relaxed and friendly. I really didn't mind the accommodation at all. The common areas were nice, loads of lawns outside, duck pond, unbelievable view. Rooms have been refurbished recently and have mini-fridges. Loved it.
Reply 4676
Did anyone go to the Open Day for Grey?
I didn't stay over and just went for the tour... it seemed okay. The Fresher's block seemed old... bearable I suppose. The people seemed nice, it's the whole hilltop thing that kind of spoilt it for me. The views are nice yes, but it's just sooo far to walk, especially since Law is by the Cathedral so walking that much every single day seems a little annoying?

Any other Law applicants here? I found the atmosphere REALLY cliquey on Tuesday. Some were nice but there were just some really pretentious people there. And Durham as a city doesn't really do it for me, it's just so ridiculously small and isolated. In fact, it doesn't even seem like a city.

There wasn't anything bad about the Open Day, there was just something off about it. I can't even put my finger on it.

How long have we got to apply for accomodation if we do firm it? Going to do some serious contemplation.
Reply 4677
reading all these comments makes me a tad worried that I'll be going to castle college...
was it really that bad?
I wouldn't say I come from an uberly posh british family but I do have the accent a bit oops :tongue: blame my father, he's from oxford x_x
but I don't bite!

Edit: I wasn't boasting -__- I'm just saying that because my father comes from the south in the uk I have a very british-sounding accent, but that doesn't make me a rah. wtevs
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by vms
reading all these comments makes me a tad worried that I'll be going to castle college...
was it really that bad?
I wouldn't say I come from an uberly posh british family but I do have the accent a bit oops :tongue: blame my father, he's from oxford x_x
but I don't bite!

I wouldn't worry. I think its a tad overreaction.
Original post by Rachetto

Any other Law applicants here? I found the atmosphere REALLY cliquey on Tuesday. Some were nice but there were just some really pretentious people there. And Durham as a city doesn't really do it for me, it's just so ridiculously small and isolated. In fact, it doesn't even seem like a city.

There wasn't anything bad about the Open Day, there was just something off about it. I can't even put my finger on it.

How long have we got to apply for accomodation if we do firm it? Going to do some serious contemplation.

I'm a law applicant too, Van Mildert college, so also very far from the law faculty. What did you think of the law open day? I didn't get to go and would love to know what they said/ what the people were like/ anything that seemed good/bad about the law course. I'm hoping to go visit durham in the next month or so and am a bit worried about this accomodation thing, is there a deadline on firming and getting accomodation? I don't want to end up in the worst areas....

Latest