The Student Room Group

Seriously, why don't we conquer anymore

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AgentSushi
Ha, well no so great, I ve got the intro done but kind of left it to the last minute to do all the reading, its due in on friday and im keep getting distracted :frown:. How about you?

Oh dear... Sorry if I distracted you! But I'm sure you'll be fine. Two days is an okay amount of time to pull it together.
I actually find the Scramble for Africa quite interesting really. It's better than a lot of essays I've had to do. But you're right, it is quite a massive topic so there's a lot of reading. Luckily, there's been loads of fairly easy to understand stuff written about it.
I wish you the best of luck :smile:
why conquer anybody?
Reply 42
Buy diplomacy or risk.
Reply 43
Original post by Hardballer
whats with all these faggy "peacekeeping missions" like Iraq and Afghanistan and now libya. **** that, the Romans didnt just go somewhere to help out and keep barbarians from slaughtering everyone, they made it theirs and conquered it, now if libya and iraq are too retarded to run a country then we should go in full force, and make it British build a proper infrastructure with the same system as the mainland uk and rename it to something better. Look at south africa, it was a great place to live after we colonised it and built an infrastructure, now the ANC are in control of it and its going to hell.

Secretly the British Government has an interest to "conquer" in Libya. I suppose one reason why Britain and the USA took so long debating a no-fly zone would be that they were waiting for the oil deals to be put into place. After 2 weeks Obama decided to act, and now that Libya's airforce has been take out there is nothing to stop the Western powers taking Libya's oil.
whats with all these faggy "peacekeeping missions" like Iraq and Afghanistan and now libya. **** that, the Romans didnt just go somewhere to help out and keep barbarians from slaughtering everyone, they made it theirs and conquered it, now if libya and iraq are too retarded to run a country then we should go in full force, and make it British build a proper infrastructure with the same system as the mainland uk and rename it to something better. Look at south africa, it was a great place to live after we colonised it and built an infrastructure, now the ANC are in control of it and its going to hell.

because its illegal and the U.N was formed after WWII to prevent history from repeating itself

Could you remind me where the Romans are today?

Ah, that's right, dead.
The UK'll be booted out of the UN, NATO, etc. have sanctions placed upon them for breach of human rights and other general invasion atrocities... Mass exodus of people disgruntled by the country, internal struggles and further breach of human rights. If the invasion gets seriously out of hand, a coalition force WILL TOTALLY OWN the British Army and perhaps invade the UK... (look at the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and then think about what happened in 2003)

And oh yeah, nukes'll be involved and perhaps the extinction of humanity...

Basically, RIP Britain...

(There's a reason why the UN exists you know... as a form of government that deals with the well-being humanity as a whole...)
(edited 13 years ago)

I find it ironic that the video in your sig is by a band that hates war.
Reply 48

Have you heard of the UN Charter?
We don't conquer **** anymore because EVERYONE has nukes.
Reply 50
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Imperialism and colonialism, that is so last century, literally. Totally outdated bro

Yeah Now we just install dictators to do it for us whilst selling us their natural resources.

Much cheaper for us.
Reply 51
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Could you remind me where the Romans are today?

In Rome :confused:
In Rome :confused:

I'm speaking about the people who went and conquered lands far beyond Rome. Eventually you will meet a stronger force and be destroyed. I doubt the people of Rome today go around conquering foreign areas.
Reply 53
take a look at britain today,absolutely full up with immigrants who hate our guts,thats what an empire gets you,atleast americans arent all idiots like theyre made out to be in british media etc,nationwide projecting,classic british bigotry at its finest

abandon ship!
Reply 54
Original post by arron
take a look at britain today,absolutely full up with immigrants who hate our guts,thats what an empire gets you,atleast americans arent all idiots like theyre made out to be in british media etc,nationwide projecting,classic british bigotry at its finest

abandon ship!

Americas awesome
Reply 55
Imperialism had it's plus sides and it's negatives sides. However it's an outdated concept, the world has moved far beyond the concept of benevolent imperialism. Even if African and Asian countries are hilariously brilliant at screwing themselves up, we've got to respect their right to self determination and allow them to choose how to run thier nations. Even if in 90% of the cases they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Reply 56
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

for example, america was colonised, it sought independence and got it and it flourished a generation.

many african countries that were part of the empire were given independence and now look at them, look at india and pakistan, huge levels of poverty and a bottle of tequila away from full out nuclear war.

the british empire put down the slave trade, brought law, order and democracy to two thirds of the globe through the blood of british boys and all we got in return was a bunch of hate from a load of ungrateful *******s.
Look at south africa, it was a great place to live after we colonised it and built an infrastructure, now the ANC are in control of it and its going to hell.

Yeah because it's completely the fault of the ANC :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending